Floating image app and orientation on hero. Devs, look at please!

Last Updated:

1. ukcatsfan

ukcatsfan Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all. I saw a post on here the other day about the screen orientation from landscape to portrait. This app which is free from the market, is unbelievable. Rotating the phone is super quick, with no lag like the normal rotation. Will the rotation be more like it is on floating image with 2.1? Or can devs take anything from this app and make the rotation orientation better for normal use on the hero?

Advertisement
  2. noidea`

noidea` Active Member

Whats it called? I would love a speed up :<

3. Mark Gjøl

Mark Gjøl New Member

Hello, I am the developer of Floating Image. I am sad to say, that the rotation I have implemented has nothing to do with what we will see on any version of Android. Having had at least one discussion with a lead Android developer I can safely assume that the Android team has no clue why anyone would want fluent rotation in their programs, and I must admit I have no clue why they have chosen such a backward way of handling phone rotation.

I do all rotation manually, which is also the reason why I am stuck with a menu in the bottom of the phone no matter how the application is rotated - this will be changed to a proper seamless menu when I get the time... That is, when small piggies sprout wings, and fly around pooping Google shares...

-- Mark

4. ukcatsfan

Mark, do you think that android will ever make rotation as good as it os in your app? if not, is there anyway you could implement your rotation "greatness" into a ROM or app to add into the os

5. ukcatsfan

Also, I'd be willing to bet that if you incorparated your "know-how" with the devs here and at xda developers, you would be financially compensted with donations, as the rotation ordeal has become frustrating with many people that love their Hero's

6. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Have you tried Fresh 2.0b? The rotation on that thing is so quick it's almost annoying (for me). It's TOO fast/sensitive lol

7. ukcatsfan

yeah, i had 2.0 from fresh, but there were way too many buggy things that i just couldnt have on a work phone, y aknow. i loved it tho, super quick. but if you dl floating image (its free) its almost embarassing to the android "big wigs" that this guy can make rotation and orientation so smooth. just try it , at least temporarily , and you'll see.

8. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

I've never had lag in rotation since I start flashing ROM's....at least not enough to notice.

I think there's a little delay programmed into the phone/OS, to prevent accidental rotation when you don't want it to rotate (I could swear I read that somewhere)

9. ukcatsfan

really? makes sense , ive never heard that tho. To me, i just love the smooth quick rotation. i think its funny how the dev of that app seems to know how to fix it and android doesnt hear it at all

10. ukcatsfan

plus, i like how you can rotate 360 degrees and it keeps right up with it

11. Mark Gjøl

Mark Gjøl New Member

There are a couple of problems with this.
    Since Floating Image is OpenGL everything is redrawn on every frame, so rotation comes at no cost at all. However, this should not be too much of a burden to 2D programs, as they'd just have to do a short animation instead.

The second and much much worse problem is that you really have to code for supporting fluent rotation. Programs would need to be made to specifically support the roms that have this feature - it's not something you can get for free in all rotatable apps. You might get some niceness if people only use android components, since these are drawn by Android, though.

The best way would of course be an official SDK where the programmer is given a choice: Hard rotation, fluent rotation, no rotation.

-- Mark

12. NewShockerGuy

NewShockerGuy Well-Known Member

I just downloaded this app from reading this thread. It does put the freaking rotation on our phones to shame.

It's soo smooth and quick like the iphone!

I love it!

There is a least a second delay in rotation from when you are going to landscape to portrait or vis versa when sending a txt message to someone. Even with a rom, and gumbo and overclock it still is annoying.

-Nigel

13. ukcatsfan

i know, lets just hope some of the devs or android can incorparate something from this app to improve rotation in future rom's