FM radio (not streaming)?Support

Last Updated: 2012-01-18 16:40:00
  1. TnIan

TnIan Well-Known Member

I was fooling around with a T-Mobile Optimus T and saw that it has FM radio capability. Like, actual analog broadcast radio reception.

You can't do that with an Optimus V, can you?

Is there a discrete FM radio receiver in the OT, or is that just a byproduct of some other chipset with another use?

Advertisement
  2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

The Optimus V doesn't have the hardware necessary to enable the listening of AM or FM broadcasts.
    TnIan likes this.
  3. mcflySIX

mcflySIX Active Member

The free app called "TuneIn" or TuneInRadio will play all kinds of am fm radio stations from all over the country and it's live. It works well since you can get more than just your local stations.
  4. TnIan

TnIan Well-Known Member

Thanks, I do have TuneIn Radio (it's awesome). I was just curious about whether or not the OV would do regular over-the-air FM radio like the OT will.

Anyone know how the OT receives FM radio? Is it a separate receiver, or is one of the other components doing double duty?
  5. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

No idea what the OT is. I don't seen any Virgin Mobile android phones that could have that abbreviation.
  6. TnIan

TnIan Well-Known Member

Optimus T. It's a T-Mobile phone fairly similar to the Optimus V.
  7. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

They share the same motherboard, so the OV has the internal radio, it's just not wired for it. I tried installing the FM tuner apk from the Wildfire S, and it just force closed.
  8. bac22

bac22 Well-Known Member

Do people still listen to FM :)!
  9. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

On the Sonos I do. ;)
  10. brotherswing

I listen to Car Talk on NPR, but above and beyond that... not really.
  11. hpscott

hpscott Member

It is common for gyms to broadcast the audio for their televisions over FM frequencies. I'd love to be able to tune into those with my Optimus V while working out.
  12. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

Have you ever been to a big family oriented event and they had the audio broadcast over an FM station for the hearing impaired? I'm almost there and wouldn't mind having that feature on a phone.
  13. brotherswing

The Wildfire S might well be your next phone then. :) Although Cyanogen for it is still in alpha.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  14. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

I did when Opie & Anthony and Ron & Fez were on FM. There is very little music I like on FM. Used to listen to NPR but got sick of it too.
  15. TnIan

TnIan Well-Known Member

I prefer listing to radio over actual FM whenever possible because you don't have the hassle of your 3G connection sporadically dropping out. Also because I'm old enough to remember half the Hayes AT command set and it irks the grumpy old sysadmin in me to use data when there's a perfectly good analog broadcast of the same thing. :)