FM radio not workingSupport

Last Updated:

1. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I cant get the FM radio to work at all when i plug in headphones and turn it on all i hear is static no matter what station i goto. It would be real nice to get it working so i can use it wile i'm walking. If i don't find a solution eventually im going to take it into sprint and see if its defective and get and exchange for another Evo. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or has a solution it would be greatly appreciated if so.

Advertisement
  2. companyman

companyman Well-Known Member

I get pretty much the same thing. It seems that it tries to use the headphones as the antenna..maybe that's the cause of the bad reception.

It would be odd if you had to have special headphones in order for it to pick up anything. But I don't know anything about the FM tuner..

3. penguinking6

penguinking6 Member

From what I can see, its just bad reception. You have to remember that you are using a piece of copper as your antenna as well as your headphones. Its working as 2 things.

Depending on where you are at, along with the radio towers locations, will have a significant difference on the quality of the FM radio.

4. companyman

companyman Well-Known Member

5. sitlet

sitlet Banned

i noticed the same thing. i get one station, even though i have tone in my area. One station in my area is one of the most powerful in the country; i can get it in my car 4 hours away from the city. i cant even get that to come in.

6. njbianco

I've tried all 4 pairs of headphones i own and non have worked. Its really disappointing me i was really hoping to use this feature since i walk a lot.

7. njbianco

Actually i just relized i still had my headphones from my Samsung Moment in the box and they actually worked.

8. Evo_Pimpin

Evo_Pimpin Well-Known Member

Same here, I can't pick up any stations on my FM radio. Seem useless to me at this point.

9. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

yeah reception is pretty bad. tried 2 pairs of earphones. I have to hold the earphone wire up 12 to 20 inches like an antenna to get a decent signal. usless for now :confused:(hope froyo will fix it)

10. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

11. netmag

netmag Active Member

Yeah, it works but the reception is horrible. I was just barely able to find one station that half way came through which showed that it worked but not very practical. It could be my headphones, but I don't know what kind of headphone wire this thing would require to get decent reception.

12. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

well the whole point of FM radio is that it is not using the data connection thus not using so much battery resources

13. GoldenStatePanda

GoldenStatePanda Well-Known Member

im getting virtually no reception either. what's the point of a radio app if no stations come in? argh

14. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

3g radio ... FM radio ... they're both radios and they both drain your battery. I don't know that the difference is material.

15. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

The difference between an FM receiver and your 3G receiver are HUGE. An FM Receiver takes almost no battery to run, in fact you can use one of those old science kits and use no battery at all with proper grounding and some metal wire :)

However, that all said... since most people are not going to turn off thier 3G antenna when using the FM, the point is moot, as you're still going to be draining battery life the same with or without running FM.

For those having problems, I'd suggest you try a normal radio at the same location where you're getting no signal.. it'd be interesting to see if a normal stereo, boombox or walkman get a better signal with a metal antenna.

For my experience, I got PERFECT signal sitting in the middle of my couch, it was amazing.. then I leaned over and the signal disappeared. Sat back straight and it was back... seems FM is extremely directional in my home :)
    My Stereo has the same problem... took me ages to find where I could the antenna wires to pick up a station.. they are now tacked to the walls.

16. cooper1010

cooper1010 Well-Known Member

the only use for an fm radio in this phone would be when you're in the gym on the treadmill and to get the audio of the tv hanging in front of you, you need to tune to xx.x FM. that should work, right?

17. owl

owl Member

Try this... Plug your headphones in when prompted; wait for the "FM turning on" to complete and then pull your headphone plug OUT PARTIALLY... if you do it too much, the FM will turn off but you pull it out slightly and it works as it should.

I'm not sure exactly what the flaw is - whether it's the design of the jack or what. It doesn't use your headphones as antenna when the plug is fully inserted but it does make contact when you pull it out a bit, as if the antenna contact in the jack is slightly off...

18. johnnygreek

johnnygreek Member

i plugged in my sennheiser on-ear headphones and it works just fine, no plugging in half way or anything.

19. bobr0949

bobr0949 Well-Known Member

20. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I tried pulling the headphones out a bit, and it works great. The only problem is any time i wiggle the jack, it cuts in and out. so that wont be an option if i want the phone in my pocket while running or something. I will be taking my phone back to sprint today to get a new one. you shouldnt have to pull the headphones out to make a good connection.

21. mamboman

mamboman New Member

I tried every headset I have. In my case, it has worked hit and miss and sometimes turns off. The headset icon does not always go on, or if it does sometimes the radio does not go on. My wife's EVO works every time. I'm thinking I have a defective jack on this handset. Otherwise, no problems.

22. lougarr117

lougarr117 New Member

I initially tried my Sony headphones and all i got was static; but today i decided to try the headphones that came with my Palm Pre and they work real well. I was able to listen to pretty much all the stations. Nevertheless, I tried them home, and have yet to try them walking in the streets, but hopefully they will work just as well. Let's see. Sprint sells them separately in the store so you might want to try them.

23. swatpup102

swatpup102 Well-Known Member

Used a pair of ultrasone HFI's to test out the FM radio, and every station came in loud and clear. These have a long headphone wire and seem to make a difference. If you listen with ear buds at work with one ear like some do, point the other side in a different direction and you'll get better reception.

24. AstronusX

AstronusX New Member

I read somewhere that It works with most headphone with microphone and few headphone without microphone. For headphone doesn't work, alternative approach is pull out half way which is not a good idea.

25. lougarr117

lougarr117 New Member

To follow up on my initial regarding the microphone headphones sprint sells. They worked great this morning on my way to work. I didn't have any issues with the FM Radio.