• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help FM Radio Question

Is it just my phone, or is this function useless?

I'm on phone 2 for the same issue and keep having the same problem with the FM radio. Trying out 2 different sets of headphones, I may get 1 or 2 stations with all the rest that should be coming in only being static. Now, if I pull out the jack about half way, I get reception across the board.

I took my original phone into the store and the tech agreed and had the same issue. Static with maybe 1 station playing well..but when the headphones were pulled out half way, more and more stations where able to be listened to.

Anyone else having an issue with the FM radio like this? Are any of yours working flawlessly with the headphone jack all the way plugged in?

Thanks for your help.

I listen to my radio on the phone quite a bit and don't have that problem at all. Mine overall works fine. At the office, it can be static-e depending on the position of my headphones. But I believe this is due to distance from the stations and there's a metal room on my building. When back in my city with all the stations, it works flawlessly.

Upvote 0
I listen to my radio on the phone quite a bit and don't have that problem at all. Mine overall works fine. At the office, it can be static-e depending on the position of my headphones. But I believe this is due to distance from the stations and there's a metal room on my building. When back in my city with all the stations, it works flawlessly.

Thanks for the response, this is good to know. I've walked around the house and outside with no difference in reception. All FM clock radios, radios, etc.. work in the house, so I can't see it being an issue with my location.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same problem, but I think it's the fault of the earbuds I'm using as my antenna. When I used the headphones I normally use at my office computer desk, the phone's FM reception was much better.

To those who are getting good reception: What earbuds are you using? I'm now looking for a new set that would work well and I'd appreciate the guidance.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same problem, but I think it's the fault of the earbuds I'm using as my antenna. When I used the headphones I normally use at my office computer desk, the phone's FM reception was much better.

To those who are getting good reception: What earbuds are you using? I'm now looking for a new set that would work well and I'd appreciate the guidance.

For me, I can't see it being an issue of the headphones as I'm using 2 sets. One pair is your standard earbuds and the other is a set of studio grade Sonys

Upvote 0
This probably doesn't have anything to do with your issue but I have noticed that if I use the alligator clip on the ear buds from my old Blackberry the reception is awesome, (better than any other portable FM radio I have tried to use), but if I let the wires hang from my ears without supporting the mic part of it I get static.

I don't have an explanation but I have tested the theory and it always holds true.

CB

Upvote 0
I can see this being a fairly frustrating issue for me... reason being that I'll try a few different sets of earphones, but until (and if) I find a pair that works, I'll never be sure if it's just that I haven't found a pair that works, or if it's just something going on with my particular phone.

One other possible factor, would disabling gps, bluetooth, wi-fi, and/or mobile network have an effect?

Upvote 0
I read somewhere (can't remember) of a user that said the only way he could get reception was to have the earbug plug partly out of the jack. I tried it and it made a world of difference. I went from getting 2 or 3 stations to many more than I can count.
I wonder what's up with that...

As a follow up, I can say that I've tried it with about 5 different earphones now, and no dice with any of them.

I think I've posted a couple of these before, but I have a handful of earphones/buds of varying quality, and I can't seem to get it to work with any of them (I do get a couple of stations in some cases, but nothing consistent or even "mostly" static free)

• dennon ah-d1000 (my nice set)
  • two pairs of ipod ear buds (one of the older original pair, and the newer ones too
  • the earbuds that came with my psp
  • cheap $10 phillips set from CVS
  • the blackberry headset earbuds (came with storm)
  • pair that came iwth my work laptop (look like they're lower-mid range)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones