FM radio receiver makes the CDMA radio seem greatGeneral

Last Updated:

1. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Update:

I was WRONG. Depends on the size and gauge of the wire of your headphones. Also depends on the position of the wires. FM radio is a little picky, but works fine- depending on the points mentioned.

Old & wrong:

The FM radio on the Inc must be the weakest radio in a phone, evah! Just tried it today and picks up half the channels my Ngage and N900 pick up well. A lot of channels barely come in, or are static filled. I thought Steely Dan said "FM has no static at all"??

Makes the CDMA radio seem not that bad, in comparison ;)

I know- at LEAST it has a radio. Must be set to suppa powwa savva mode ;)

Advertisement
  2. screwmesa

screwmesa Member

I tried it today for the first time and it had pretty weak reception. Maybe becuase it's using headphones for a damn antenna. Oh well, I'm happy to have an FM radio at work now and hopefully someone will bring up tips on improving reception.

3. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member

I wonder if there are "antenna" quality headphones that would make the signal better?

4. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Well-Known Member

I used the FM radio with my iPod headphones for about 5 minutes and it sounded very clear.

5. chris61292

chris61292 Well-Known Member

works fine with my headphones here..

6. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

mine was very clear as well, i only tried a couple of stations but i remember thinking how good it sounded.

7. 8.5x11

8.5x11 Well-Known Member

Very impressed with reception and sound quality with mine in FM mode. Use iPod headphones. Worked awesome. You live in the middle of nowhere? I live just outside Philly so I get lots of strong FM signals...

8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Just use pandora :D

9. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Big city of Lexington KY ;) We have about twelve stations that should pick up well, but only three do on the Inc. Perhaps I need to use extra thick wired headphones ;) N900 is not strong either, but Inc makes the N900 seem strong in comparison.

Nice that the Inc has a speaker option for radio :) Just wish we had radio station density like Philly- just keep the property taxes ;)

necosino, good point, but I like to also listed to the Cats during B-ball and F-ball season :)

10. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

I used my FM for the first time tonight and it works great very clear.

11. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

You have trouble w/FM reception w/the 900? I'm right in between DC/Balt and get every station in both markets w/mine.

I was thinking about getting the Incredibe since Sling mobile will be out this summer for Android, will most likely never come to Maemo, and who knows what's up w/Meego. However the suspect HTC reception seems to have passed on to the Incredible.

12. double

double Well-Known Member

if it works in speaker mode that is pretty cool. i did not see that option, will have to check. if that is the case seems like someone needs to make 3.5mm antenna. i might experiment with some 3.5mm to RCA to F adapters and some differnt antennas.

13. Callahan

Callahan Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that all radios that rely on head phone cords for reception are weak. My Inc gets about the same reception as my Zune and neither are anything to write home about.

14. trpt

trpt Member

It's a POS for me...

15. phorts

phorts Well-Known Member

Just tried it. Sucks for me too. got 1 station to come in (Rock 101 in Manchester, NH) and even that was a bit fuzzy.

Radio was a Bonus for me anyways, nothing i'll ever use probably. I'll use Slacker if i want to listen to music.

It will be interesting to see if certain headphones have better reception than others. Please post which headphones you're using and what type of reception you're getting. Mine are JVC Marshmallows.

16. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

I was able to use mine Saturday night at the best place ever, The Drive-In Theaters!!! My wife and I wanted to reward our oldest for bringing up is Language Arts class to a B so we took the family to the drive-ins. So of course being the tech geek I am and having my new INC with me I busted out the old headphones and started surfing the channels to pick up the other movies being played. It auto surfed and found all the appropriate channels and was prettty damn strong. It also picked up the regular fm stations no problem. I was impressed by it, it's not like i plan on listening to it over Pandora or the music I have stored on here anyway, so I think for what it's worth it's pretty damn good... just my .02 though...

Oh and the headphones are the mic'ed headphones from my old BB Storm

17. Skinnytoo

Skinnytoo New Member

I tried at the gym today and it worked great. Loud and clear!! I have a pair of sony in the ear buds. Sounded fantastic. I also could tune to the channels the televisions were being transmitted to. Very happy!!!!:)

18. argylecyclist

argylecyclist Member

Just tried mine out and it was great. It seemed to pick up all the radio stations I listen to. No static at all.

I live in Phoenix... so take my experience for what it is worth.

Camslam likes this.
  19. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Me too, I was at the Scottsdale 6 drive-ins

Camslam likes this.
  20. AZRadiohead

AZRadiohead Member

If you're having trouble with the FM Radio in the HTC Incredible, try a different pair of earbuds. They are made of all different materials from cheap thin wire versions to high end senheiser with braided strand wire for higher quality/clarity. I have a decend pair from RadioShack that works well but a cheapie set that came with a $10 radio doesn't work that well. The sets that came with out BlackBerry's seem to work well too.

Higher end earbuds aren't going to make a difference for everyone but it's worth a try.

screwmesa likes this.
  21. screwmesa

screwmesa Member

New buds worked for me. Was using some cheapo-s for my test run in my house, then used a pair of Creative Labs earbuds at work and it was much clearer. Got to listen to the kupd at work, finally.

In Tempe btw, good to see all you Arizonians.

22. grizzlyt

grizzlyt Member

My reception is terrible also. Tried two different pairs of headphones, one cheap and one hi-end. I'm in Phoenix so would expect better. Otherwise I love the phone.

23. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

fm sounded great to me.. in multiple locations in washington.

24. zamugustar

zamugustar Well-Known Member

3$ a month for unlimited. Best small expenditure I have ever made.

25. JE78

JE78 Well-Known Member

I didn't have much much while at work. I work in a rural area and got nothing but static. The closers I got to the "City" the better it was but I had the phone in my shirt pocket and it had some static. Once I took it out it was clear on some stations but not on others. I guess its made for a metro setting.