FM Radio Reception, am I the only one having major issuesSupport

Last Updated:

1. cman8882

cman8882 Member This Topic's Starter

The FM radio on the incredible is horrible. Am I the only one who notices this? I tried two different headsets and the reception is still horrible. I mean, not just kinda bad, but basically the reception is so bad that the fm radio is useless. Anyone else have this problem? How do you fix?

Advertisement
  2. AGWednesday

AGWednesday Well-Known Member

I used to have that problem. It was the earbuds.

3. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

There's a thread floating around and the consensus is it needs quality headphones to work. Mine works great.

4. Contempt

Contempt Well-Known Member

I do not have that problem. My reception seems about normal for a wireless portable device. Not as good as my car or home stereo, but easily comparable to other portable music devices I have used.

Good luck to you. I hope it is easily resolved.

5. ab187

ab187 Active Member

I am having a problem with it. With the same headphones and in the same location I can get every station with my Zune HD but I cant pick up a single one with the Dinc. I never use it because it sucks so bad.

6. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Does the Zune use the headphones as an antenna? A lot of mobile devices have internal FM antennas. I have an MP3 player that doesn't use the headphones.

7. jayhawkfan18

jayhawkfan18 Well-Known Member

Yeah make sure you have headphones with the mic as the mic part is used for the antenna... I have downloaded RadioTime which gives tons more stations to choose from and does not need a set of headphones with a mic to get good reception.. it's $2.99 though

8. ab187

ab187 Active Member

I'm pretty sure it uses the headphones as an antenna. I can verify this because I can gain/lose HD radio reception by changing the position of the headphone cord.

9. elwray

elwray Well-Known Member

The "stock" FM radio app does use the headphones as an antenna. I have not been able to get even a blurb or real music or talk since I've had the phone, but have only tried with cheapo ear buds. Perhaps a higher quality set of headphones with better wiring/shielding would solve the problem, but I would imagine I'd at least be able to make out SOMETHING in the static with even the cheapest of earbuds, on the very local stations. Nada.

10. droiderific

droiderific New Member

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on the internet yet, so I felt a need to share...

I googled for "droid incredible 4-pole" and found one Verizon document mentioning that the connector is a 4-pole connector (it is not in the user manual). My iPod earbuds were not giving me any reception. So, I used a 4-pole to 3 RCA cable from a camcorder, paired with a 2 RCA to stereo 3.5mm (3-pole) cable attached with:

stereo L -> white
    stereo R -> yellow

The red cable I left unconnected. If I tried touching the red signal pin to ground, it caused the radio to reset, or the phone interpreted it as a "start voice command" button. I don't have one around to test with, but I think that the wired hands-free sets are 4-pole 2.5mm connectors, and the 2.5mm plug might fit loosely in the 3.5mm jack?

I tested continuity with a multimeter between all three signal pins and they are definitely distinct.

Anyway, I get great reception now. I just need to figure out a more compact method that doesn't involve 8 feet of cables in my pocket.

11. droiderific

droiderific New Member

Ok, I probably should have seen this thread:
    http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/42115-splitter-split-mic-external-speakers.html

I am ordering one of these:
    Computer PC Headset Smartphone Adapter, Dual 3.5mm to Single 3.5mm

EDIT 1 (8/27):
    Actually, I am going to try this first. The description is a little vague but it might be right:
    [​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/3-PLUG-iphone-TRRS-headphone-adapter-2G-3G-3GS-4-/380256600426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58890f416a

EDIT 2 (9/13):
    was wrong

EDIT 3 (9/27):
    Tried stacking 3 connectors together, but I guess I must have tested with a multimeter but not with the old left/right audio test, because the method doesn't work like it seemed to at one point. Back to the drawing board.