FM Radio?Support

Last Updated: 2012-04-10 10:24:05
  1. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Well-Known Member Developer

Looking for FM Radio for the Droid 3?

Download FMRadio.apk
    (Updated 12/31/2011; Link will stay live indefinitely.)

Advertisement
  2. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Probably not, but I too wish there were an FM radio, since far less battery needed than streaming.
  3. Schreiber

Schreiber Well-Known Member

Very interesting!
  4. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

Droid 1, and 2 had an FM radio, but it was hacked to work. its posted on XDA. No clue if anyone is attempting to replicate for the droid 3. I just use TuneIn Radio since reception where i live sucks anyway (as well as the radio stations lol).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=769894
  5. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Anyone try to get the fm radio apk from recent Motorola system dumps and see if it works?

Or is it too early to try something like that until root and sbf's come out?

EDIT....seems like I should read the post above mine...lol
  6. imnotmikal

Already tried the APKs from Motorola. Instant Force Close.
  7. imnotmikal

8. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

9. imnotmikal

Yep, works perfectly.
    You'll have to push the apk to your phone, either via usb, email, dropbox, bluetooth, then you'll navigate to the file using a file browser and install it.
    beowulf7 likes this.
  10. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

is it for actual over the air radio?
  11. beowulf7

Sweet! Thanks! I transfer files w/ the USB and found it via Files. That was easy. Is there anyway to raise the limit of 20 presets? I did the auto-find and it exhausted all 20 at 98.9. I didn't realize there were that many radio stations in my area. :eek:
  12. imnotmikal

Yes indeed! The phone has the software built in (as per my first post), but Moto just didn't supply us with an app. But yes, it's true FM, its not data.

I've been wondering the same thing, but currently no dice :(
  13. beowulf7

That was odd how VZW/Moto didn't provide the app even though the hardware supports it (FM radio chip), but thank you again for finding it.

I''ll just have to note the radio stations I have in my car and manually enter them as presets on the phone.

Speaking of car (and I'm going a little off topic), there's a free app available today only on Amazon Appstore called "Car Locator", which does exactly that. I'll test it tomorrow when I go to work (if I remember).
  14. imnotmikal

I've used it before, and it's worth the $4 they charge, so if you don't hop on it for FREE, you're crazy... Hahhaa
    I've used it before and it works great. Really comes in handy when I go to amusement parks.
  15. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Dang. The one ding I had on the D3 and there really is "an app for that".

Why would Moto not point this out as a feature?

Works fine, BTW.
  16. 2ndsout

2ndsout Member

Just get Pandora... I wouldn't want to listen to Terrestrial Radio and all of the obnoxious DJs on my Android. Pandora is much better and there is an app for it. Besides, Pandora doesn't cost anything and you only have to pay for Pandora if you want their full service.
  17. trayson

trayson Active Member

Actually, I simply went to the above thread on my D3 and I clicked the mediafire link that was in that thread and I was able to install the APK directly onto my phone. BAM!!! works perfectly. I don't know why you guys are having to put a PC into the mix.

Yeah, I just clicked the file to download from my phone's stock browser. So easy.
  18. imnotmikal

Oops, I suppose I left out the most obvious option...
    I just prefer to do all my web browsing and what not on my PC instead of my phone.
  19. trayson

trayson Active Member

Well, I had to go that way. I'm at work and download sites like that are blocked here at work. :p
  20. beowulf7

It's not that simple. For example, I like to listen to sports talk radio, such as ESPN Radio and "The Fan". Thanks to this thread, I can now do that via my phone.

Yeah, that's true, but, like what imnotmikal said, I prefer to surf via my PC.

Agreed.

About the FM app itself, the only 2 annoying things about it are:
    1.) Requirement of headphones attached to it, which it only requires upon start up.
    2.) Limit of 20 FM preset radio stations. Auto-scan will fill them up quickly.

In the future, if anyone knows of updates available to this app, please let us know. TIA.
  21. CyberWinter

CyberWinter Well-Known Member

Those links don't work anymore. Got any new links?
  22. imnotmikal

23. beowulf7

If that link stops working again, let me know via this thread and I can upload the APK file to my website and share the link. :cool:
  24. imnotmikal

In theory, my link should work until I delete it from my Dropbox.
  25. glennj

glennj Well-Known Member

You don't actually have to have real headphones plugged in. You can use a cable that is 3.5mm on one end and anything else on the other, like one of those old CD-ROM cables to hook into your stereo or a boom box or whatever.

On point #2, it looked to me like I was able to move 91.2, 91.3, 91.4, 91.5... with one of the controls, even if the pre-scans were filled. So, you can tune it to anything, but you are limited to 20 pre-sets. Down East in NC, that's a lot of pre-sets ! :eek:

Glenn