• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
You don't actually have to have real headphones plugged in. You can use a cable that is 3.5mm on one end and anything else on the other, like one of those old CD-ROM cables to hook into your stereo or a boom box or whatever.

On point #2, it looked to me like I was able to move 91.2, 91.3, 91.4, 91.5... with one of the controls, even if the pre-scans were filled. So, you can tune it to anything, but you are limited to 20 pre-sets. Down East in NC, that's a lot of pre-sets ! :eek:

Glenn
About #1, thanks for the tip, that's not a bad workaround solution. It's weird b/c once you plug in headphones (or I guess anything that's got the 3.5mm jack on one end) then you can go through the options and use the phone's speaker.

On #2, I'll check that out. But in the meantime, there are about half a dozen radio stations or so that I could manually fill in for presets 1-6 or something. :)

Upvote 0
I was able to download the apk easily, but I cannot tune in to radio stations. There is no sound even though the headphone is attached. When I try it seems to be searching and I keep getting the message "FM radio is loading. please wait" which goes on forever! Please help. I love this phone, but need FM radio!

I'm not sure what to tell you for that, but if you have a data connection, I recommend downloading the I Heart Radio app. It will let you listen to live radio stations all over the country, through data. Although, I can understand wanting actual over the air radio if you have a data limit or no data connection.

Upvote 0
Thanks. This problem seem to be common, and I found the following which should resolve it. The sad thing is that I still do not understand how to do this. Can someone help me please in plain english? How do I "root"?

Here is the step by step guide on enabling FM Radio on your [COLOR=#0000FF !important][COLOR=#0000FF !important]Motorola[/COLOR][/COLOR] Droid 2:
  • The first step is to root your Motorola Droid 2. You can follow the one click method posted here.
  • Now connect [COLOR=#0000FF !important][COLOR=#0000FF !important]your [COLOR=#0000FF !important]phone[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] to the computer and make sure you have ADB installed. You can follow these instructions to install ADB if you already don’t have it.
  • Now download Droid 2 FM Radio archive and unzip the package on your desktop.
  • Once you have saved the files, Start > Run > CMD and type following commands:
    • adb push app/FMRadio.apk /system/app
    • adb push app/FMRadioService.apk /system/app
    • adb push bin/fmradioserver /system/bin
    • adb push lib/libFMRadio.so /system/lib
    • adb push lib/libfmradio_jni.so /system/lib
    • adb push lib/libfmradioplayer.so /system/lib
  • Once you have pushed all these files through ADB, remount system to ro.
  • Now connect your headphones to the device and launch FMradio.

Upvote 0
Thanks. This problem seem to be common, and I found the following which should resolve it. The sad thing is that I still do not understand how to do this. Can someone help me please in plain english? How do I "root"?

Here is the step by step guide on enabling FM Radio on your [COLOR=#0000FF !important][COLOR=#0000FF !important]Motorola[/COLOR][/COLOR] Droid 2:

Upvote 0
You don't actually have to have real headphones plugged in. You can use a cable that is 3.5mm on one end and anything else on the other, like one of those old CD-ROM cables to hook into your stereo or a boom box or whatever.

On point #2, it looked to me like I was able to move 91.2, 91.3, 91.4, 91.5... with one of the controls, even if the pre-scans were filled. So, you can tune it to anything, but you are limited to 20 pre-sets. Down East in NC, that's a lot of pre-sets ! :eek:

Glenn

In my case idea of point #1 is not workingin my phone .. so i want a software solution for that .. i am thinking of a app which can make my phone virtually detect a earphone without actually plugging in a real headphone in the phones socket..

Upvote 0
In my case idea of point #1 is not workingin my phone .. so i want a software solution for that .. i am thinking of a app which can make my phone virtually detect a earphone without actually plugging in a real headphone in the phones socket..

It simply will not work without them. The FM radio chip in the phone has no antenna, I assume for space-saving reasons. The headphones are required as your antenna. If you don't want to do that, download I Heart Radio, you can listen to live radio with that, but it uses data.

Upvote 0
It simply will not work without them. The FM radio chip in the phone has no antenna, I assume for space-saving reasons. The headphones are required as your antenna. If you don't want to do that, download I Heart Radio, you can listen to live radio with that, but it uses data.

I thought that if you plugged in headphones, started FM radio, then unplugged them, it continued to play radio? Maybe I'm making this up as I only tried FM radio once, said "hmmpf, cool", and never used it again since I use iHeartRadio.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones