1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

FM Radio?

1. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

So I know people have posted before but it does not seem that there is much current news on the fm radio being unlocked and having an app made for it. Does anyone have any idea on the progress? Also I KNOW that the droid has an FM receiver chip so do not say well the droid doesn't have one and do not recommend Pandora ( Which I already use) or Iheartradio because my stations are not listed on the app. So does anyone know when we might get this functionality and why the heck it was disabled which many people tend to do??? I had the imagio and used its radio and it was great to have! Now I see the incredible might have a tuner as well so there is proof android can do it!

Advertisement
    :
  2. OmniKill

OmniKill New Member

I looked into it a bit and as far as I can tell it's just not feasible on the Droid yet.The TI chip the Droid uses for communications can receive and send FM signals even, but the kernel used by Android would have to be built for it and I'm not sure that's something that's even been implemented in a Linux kernel before.

It definitely sounds like an interesting venture for the future, maybe suggest it to a team that builds kernels for the Droid. A good place to look would be the CyanogenMod forums. The thing is, even if somebody implements FM functions into the kernel, somebody else still has to make an app that can make use of the data and there's really just not a market for it when you can go to Walmart and pick up an FM radio for less than $5.00 or an FM transmitter for $10.00

If anything does come of it, it would be really cool if my Droid could use it as a built-in FM transmitter to broadcast my music to my car without the intermediate device.
  3. jungajuice

jungajuice Active Member

Well, the Archos 5 IT has an fm tuner and an fm transmitter. It does run Donut, but an Eclair release is expected soon. I don't know a whole lot about incorporating that into any current mod, but it has been done with Android.
  4. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

Actually the guys over at alldroid got the fm working and the app to tune with they just can't get the audio to play. Something to do with incompatible audio files. since the audio files are proprietary Motorola files there is no source code so progress is slow but it will happen and is very possible. Right now its only receive no transmit function. i think that will require someone to write an app to handle transmit
  5. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I think I read something about FM coming in 2.2. I'm not 100% sure though.
  6. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

Here is the details on the RUMOR.

2.2 rumor
  7. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

when all else fails, try a different app; have you used RadioTime? I've found every local station on there (except for the I<3 Radio)
  8. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Oh I have not. I will check that out thank you!
  9. ccphilly1984

ccphilly1984 Well-Known Member

cherry rplayer streams all the cbs radio stations nationwide... here in philadelphia, that adds the talk radio stationj i like as well as my classic rock station.