FML, lost root, can't use nandroid...

Last Updated:

1. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so let me start off by saying I did/still do have a nandroid and also a custom rom zip on my SD. Here's my problem, I used the Rom manager app to wipe data/cache, like I have done about 10 times this past week, and flashed a new rom. So my phone reboots to recovery, "clockwork mod recovery", you have to use this recovery to use rom manager, and instead of flashing the rom, it gives me some error message. Now for anyone who isn't familiar with clockwork recovery, you can't flash a nandroid from it, you have to revert back to the stock recovery to flash a nandroid, or at least I do. So now all I can do is reboot my hero which brings me back to stock 2.1 with no root access. Now I know what your thinking, "just flash your nandroid", but now I can't. To flash my nandroid I would have to reflash the stock recovery image through rom manager, and now I'm stuck with the clockwork recovery image because rom manager requires root to swap recoveries, and no ability to nandroid back to where I was before. Basically, unless there is a way to change my recovery back to stock without being rooted currently, I'm boned... if anyone can think of something that would help is be eternally grateful.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. Joehunni

Any ideas? Think formatting "erasing" one of the partitions like boot, data, or system would get me on the right track? I'd really like to get this thing resolved

3. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

My only suggestion would be to flash a different recovery and boot into it. However, that requires you to be able to do that, which if I understand you correctly you cannot. Have you tried to hook up to your computer and use adb yet? I wonder if you really lost root. If you are able to use adb, you could flash a new recovery image and then restore your nandroid.

4. todlerix

todlerix Member

I'm very new to this, but couldn't you copy your nand-backups to your computer, install sprint ruu 2.1.xxxx.5

root, flash a recovery.img and restore your nand-backups to your sdcard then restore from nand-backups?

5. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

Correct. You could technically save a copy of your Nandroid, run the 2.1 RUU, re-root, flash a different recovery image that allows you to do nandroid backups/restores, then restore your nandroid.

6. Joehunni

Well I'm pretty sure I don't have root, I don't have the Su app in the drawer and when I type Su into a terminal emulator I get :access denied. Also, my computer is down right now so I either need a way to swap recoveries from the phone as is, or some way to run the stock ruu from the phone to go back fully stock as now my phone us quite laggy. Any ideas?

7. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

well... no matter what you're going to need the PC working.. can't RUU without it.. makes it difficult to root without it..

wish I knew why people are all hot to use ROM Manager.. not like it's hard to boot into recovery and flash a ROM..

8. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

Even easier with quick boot. If you do RUU get the .5 rootable one from XDA, not the .6 version.

9. Joehunni

Well I can tell you one thing, eventually, when i'm rooted again, I will not be using rom manager or clockwork recovery, period. Why the hell would they make a recovery image that you can't pop your original nandroids through...

10. Joehunni

So wait, you can just plug your phone into your computer and re-run the original 2.1 Ruu even if the phone already has 2.1 on it, i'm asking because I thought of that but was told by Sprint advanced tech support that this couldn't be done? Of course they aren't very bright either, they tried to tell me that if I was really having problems that I could just bring my phone to a Sprint store and have them reflash Android 1.5, HA! ******s...