Folder layout to work like an Ipod

Last Updated:

1. 5280Man

5280Man Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 16, 2010
    Hey everyone! I've got a problem and I'm hoping someone on here can help me with it. Don't know if this issue has really been addressed yet, I see it was touched upon in a thread but nothing more.

Here's the situation: I recently purchased a car stereo that has an Ipod hookup. Actually, it has a USB hook up that you can connect your Ipod to and it will control it. It controls everything on the ipod. It will also access music on a memory stick via the same USB connection. I recently purchaed the Droid X and am loving it! I thought maybe I could use it as well for music since the deck will recognize a mass storage device and charge it as well. I tried it and success! It charged it and played two songs that I had on the phone. Done! Now I just need to get some music on it and try that.

I downloaded an app that allows me to sync my itunes to my Droid. I did that and the phone plays the music nicely. I used Syncr.

Here's the problem: When I hooked the phone up to the deck it still would only play those other two songs that were on there originally. I used the deck to flip through the folders on the phone, which it did no problem, and found the other new music. But it wouldn't access them and play them. It would only play the original two songs. After much thinking and looking, I found that the other two songs appeared in my list of folders first. Plus they are in a folder that is named mp3. The mp3 folder is a subfolder in downloaded ringtones. I thought maybe since this mp3 folder appeared first and was named mp3 it was stopping at that folder and only playing those songs. So, I tested out the theory. I added a new folder in the list of folders and named it mp3 as well but had it appear in the list before all the others. And sure enough, the deck picked up that folder and only played the songs in that folder.

Here's my question: How do create a folder for all my music and further, how do I do it so that the deck will read it with playlists and all just like my Ipod? In other words, how do I make it look like an Ipod so the deck operates it just like an Ipod? Because as well all know, an Ipod is just a mass storage device.

Thanks for your help!!

2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I suppose it really depends on the head unit (stereo) really. Some are quite apt at finding the songs by itself. Some might have problems if they aren't in a specific folder.

My grandfather's truck with Ford Sync recognized all the music on my phone within seconds and organized it. It also recognized the GPS voice cache which I didn't intend but whatever. :rolleyes: Obviously, Ford Sync is a much higher end stereo system so I can really investigate your phone's memory. I would possibly look in the user's manual of your stereo, and see if it says anything specific about USB playback.