Folders in SD. What a mess.

Last Updated:

1. dalvik

dalvik New Member This Topic's Starter

How come every application creates its own folder in the SD? Google should've made something like "Application Data" so that applications put data folders there.

Advertisement
  2. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Agree. As minor of a thing this is, it annoys the heck out of me. :) There really should have been a dedicated data folder that all apps look to dump their settings and stuff.

3. JDMS33

JDMS33 Member

Agreed. Also - just curious if others are seeing this or if I should be doing something differently.

I downloaded Dizzler and it seems that the music that I listen to shows up in the main directory of the SD card....

4. Phone Guy

Phone Guy Well-Known Member

I have that also. Have you tried rearranging the folders.

5. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Everyone wants applications on the SD, and some do write there.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, LOL!

6. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

It's fine if it does, but it should store those folders inside a designated Data folder, that way it doesn't litter up the base directory.

7. syntrix

It's just an SD card, lol.

Have you written to each application creator that makes the apps that write to the SD?

I can understand a few obvious ones for the google apps.

Did you mean a hierarchical folder so that if an app doesn't complete a write, it could frag the whole directory? :D

8. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

It's just a matter of basic housekeeping...in Windows, you don't have every program writing a folder to the root, they're all organized under "Program Fiies." Similarly, your data is in "Documents" and further categorized under Music, video, etc., where appropriate.

Google should have set a standard to put application data into a sub-directory on the card (called Apps or Application or whatever), so that you don't have to see 25+ folders mess when you view the SD card contents...

Not a deal-breaker, but it's annoying that it's so sloppy...

9. syntrix

Actually, that's not true, I have tons of apps that still write to c:/ ; even a LOT of modern and powerful apps.

But that comparison is moot. So you have a few folders, deal with it :)

I wonder if they are setting the "hidden bit" for the "appliance users". I haven't checked yet. I like to know what data is on my storage :)

10. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Completely agree.

\ should only have core folders, such as "App data", "User", etc. All applications should create THEIR folders under "App data" (or what ever Google wants to name it), and all of the users transfered files under "user" (such as music, pics, videos, etc).

I don't like mounting the SD and having to scroll down as much as it is becoming. Oh well for now I guess. Funny how Google wants to be so structured and organized, yet we have this...

11. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I deal with it by ignoring it...but the inherent sloppiness insults my highly refined sensibilities. ;)

12. Paul_C

Paul_C Active Member

I don't see what google has to do with it. If you're worried about keeping your stuff organized and outside the clutter that various apps write why not take a little responsibility, make an "AllMyCrap" folder (you shouldn't have to scroll very far to find this) and organize whatever you're putting on the card in there however you want?

13. syntrix

Do you have a droid and have you seen the sd card? There's a few folders that I've seen though normal use. Not a big deal imho though.

I don't think you can set a new folder in pandora, or for google nav.

Again, not a big deal IMHO!

14. syntrix

LOL!!! ;)

If they rewrite to install apps to the sd card, you might have sensibility overloading :)

I've never had an issue on the internal storage, and I've installed app after app after app, and have never even come close to filling up internal storage.

one question for those that want apps on the sd....

How close were you to filling up internal storage (you can check this), and what apps were you running?

15. Paul_C

Paul_C Active Member

Yes and yes.