folders on home screen won't openSupport

Last Updated:

1. dkado33

dkado33 New Member

Need help. I use folders on my home screen to hold related apps, and since the latest update (s4 Verizon), after several uses of the folders, they stop opening and showing their contents. I go to my apps, and many are missing. I restart device and it works again for a little while. Anyone else having this issue?!!

2. tjames

tjames Member

The same thing has happened to me twice in the last week. Restarting the phone fixed the issue for me too, temporarily. I have been unable to figure out an alternative to this issue.
  3. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

Are you guys using the stock launcher or a 3rd party launcher?
  4. tjames

tjames Member

Stock launcher for me.
  5. itsallgood

I'm using a 3rd party launcher plus an apps organizer folder and haven't had any problems. I did create a folder and placed on the stock home screen and the folder opened fine. I didn't see any settings that would lock the folders either. (That was my next thought.)

Have you tried restarting the phone?
  6. tjames

tjames Member

Restarting the phone fixes the problem, but it happens about once a day and restarting the phone every time is annoying. What 3rd party app do you recommend?
  7. itsallgood

Right now, I'm using ADW Launcher and Apps Organizer to organize my apps into folders on my home screens. Most 3rd party launchers have app folders you can create, without needing a seperate app to create them. (I just prefer Apps Orgainzer better.) I have heard of others using GO Launcher.
  8. wooter

wooter New Member

+ 1 here

Attempting to open the apps folders from the home screens results in the folder showing the "open" icon (round circle) but the app icons not expanding out onto the screen.

Also, attempting to show all apps using the "Apps" button shows several blank screens with no app icons.

Restarting the phone fixes it. Seems to have started when the phone software was upgraded.

NOTE: Using the "Search" command will allow you to find and use the app you need if you're in a pinch and don't have time to restart.

Putting in some keywords so others with this issue can find the thread more easily and maybe we can get resolution here:
    android app folders won't open
    android app folders empty
    android app icons disappear
  9. tjames

tjames Member

That is the exact problem I am experiencing. You explained it much better than I did.
  10. wooter

wooter New Member

I'm on Verizon - what carrier do you guys have?
  11. tjames

tjames Member

I have Verizon also
  12. JAK719

JAK719 New Member

I have also had this same problem. Also on Verizon. Thanks for the advice to use the search box but really hope this is resolved soon.
  13. JAK719

JAK719 New Member

I was just Messing around with the folders when they wouldn't open and discovered if you create a new folder it will temporarily fix the issue without having to restart. Obviously just a temporary fix til whatever the problem is is resolved, but quicker than restarting or using the search tool.
  14. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Have you guys tried clearing the cache and data from the default launcher? Clearing the data should reset the launcher back to default wiping anything saved (which theoretically should fix the issue).

If that doesn't work, then factory resetting might be in order to fix any corrupt files that may have happened when the OTA installed over the top of the old files.
  15. GUICenter

GUICenter New Member

Any update to the cause and fix of this other than what was already recommended?
  16. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Nova Launcher is a good alternative and I have never had this issue. Very fast, lag free experience.

Lots of things to customize too :)