• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

folders - what are they for?

Poldie

Apr 2, 2010
I have 2.2 on my Orange Desire, but I've never understood folders. Starred, phone etc seem to just give me the same list of people I get when I press the Phone button that's at the bottom of the screen. And I can choose 'new folder' and drag things in, but there's no way of seeing what's in the until I click on it, so if I have more than one folder on a screen it gets confusing and I have to look inside it first. It seems like a bit of a badly thought out system. Wouldn't it be good if you could see what was inside before you clicked on it - or perhaps if you held your finger on it you'd get a preview, or something?

Do you guys use them, and if so - what for?

Folders are just another way of organising yourself. If it doesn't work for you, don't use them.

Presumably you have folders on your PC for storing different things (Documents, Music, Video, etc) and your applications are categorised by type etc on the Start Menu (or your OS equiv.). It is exactly the same premise, but for your phone.

You can't qualify it as a badly thought out system. Even my old Nokia phone classified different parts of the phone (Messaging, Applications, Games, Settings etc)

Personally, I have a number of folders. I have :

Apps (Non-Internet Based Applications that I use regularly)
Internet (Browsers, IM clients, Email, etc)
Tools (Settings, File browsers, backup tools etc)
Games (Speaks for itself really)
Multimedia (Music, Video, Photo apps)

Upvote 0
hmmm sorry i dont know
smile.gif

Upvote 0
And I can choose 'new folder' and drag things in, but there's no way of seeing what's in the until I click on it, so if I have more than one folder on a screen it gets confusing and I have to look inside it first. It seems like a bit of a badly thought out system.
If you randomly throw things in a folder and don't name the folder it's a bad system because you've made it a bad system -- not because it's inherently bad. Group items in your folders and give your folders a descriptive name.

Upvote 0
i use folders mainly to keep things a bit more organized. i have folders called: news, tools, games, and entertainment. that's just how the break down of my most used apps work for me. i don't like having a crap ton of apps in my home screen, and placing them in folders help me get to it quicker than it would going through the app menu/screen. just b/c you might find it pointless doesn't mean others will to. they're very useful when used properly

Upvote 0
I've had no use for folders yet; I just have each of my 7 home screens "themed" with shortcuts to utilities on one, games on another, internet stuff on another, etc... If I have more programs for a certain category than I had screen real estate for I'd create folders or use multicon to fit more shortcuts into a smaller space. Calling folders a badly thought out idea is like blaming the hammer for a poorly built house.

Upvote 0
i use folders mainly to keep things a bit more organized. i have folders called: news, tools, games, and entertainment. that's just how the break down of my most used apps work for me. i don't like having a crap ton of apps in my home screen, and placing them in folders help me get to it quicker than it would going through the app menu/screen. just b/c you might find it pointless doesn't mean others will to. they're very useful when used properly

Steve Jobs is the devil? lol

Upvote 0
Well if you know what you put in the folder to begin with, why would you need to know whats in it after? You should already know

I'm not sure if the OP was asking because he/she was having the same problem as me. I couldn't figure out how to name a folder. After seeing this thread, I realized there has to be a way. For those who don't know, you open the folder then do a long press in the top where it says "folder." I had tried everything but that (menu, long press in the body, long press on the icon, etc.) and was about to ask the question here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones