folders - what are they for?

Last Updated:

1. Poldie

Poldie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have 2.2 on my Orange Desire, but I've never understood folders. Starred, phone etc seem to just give me the same list of people I get when I press the Phone button that's at the bottom of the screen. And I can choose 'new folder' and drag things in, but there's no way of seeing what's in the until I click on it, so if I have more than one folder on a screen it gets confusing and I have to look inside it first. It seems like a bit of a badly thought out system. Wouldn't it be good if you could see what was inside before you clicked on it - or perhaps if you held your finger on it you'd get a preview, or something?

Do you guys use them, and if so - what for?

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I haven't had HTC sense for a while, but I think you can rename the folder by tapping/long pressing on the name of the folder whilst it's open.

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Well if you know what you put in the folder to begin with, why would you need to know whats in it after? You should already know

4. PureLoneWolf

PureLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Folders are just another way of organising yourself. If it doesn't work for you, don't use them.

Presumably you have folders on your PC for storing different things (Documents, Music, Video, etc) and your applications are categorised by type etc on the Start Menu (or your OS equiv.). It is exactly the same premise, but for your phone.

You can't qualify it as a badly thought out system. Even my old Nokia phone classified different parts of the phone (Messaging, Applications, Games, Settings etc)

Personally, I have a number of folders. I have :

Apps (Non-Internet Based Applications that I use regularly)
    Internet (Browsers, IM clients, Email, etc)
    Tools (Settings, File browsers, backup tools etc)
    Games (Speaks for itself really)
    Multimedia (Music, Video, Photo apps)

5. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

hmmm sorry i dont know [​IMG]

6. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

If you randomly throw things in a folder and don't name the folder it's a bad system because you've made it a bad system -- not because it's inherently bad. Group items in your folders and give your folders a descriptive name.

7. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member

folders are for apple users who wish they had widgets and a hidden menu :p

no but in all seriousness, i don't understand the point of folders when we have so many home screens

8. marefin

marefin Well-Known Member

i use folders mainly to keep things a bit more organized. i have folders called: news, tools, games, and entertainment. that's just how the break down of my most used apps work for me. i don't like having a crap ton of apps in my home screen, and placing them in folders help me get to it quicker than it would going through the app menu/screen. just b/c you might find it pointless doesn't mean others will to. they're very useful when used properly

9. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

I've had no use for folders yet; I just have each of my 7 home screens "themed" with shortcuts to utilities on one, games on another, internet stuff on another, etc... If I have more programs for a certain category than I had screen real estate for I'd create folders or use multicon to fit more shortcuts into a smaller space. Calling folders a badly thought out idea is like blaming the hammer for a poorly built house.

10. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

Steve Jobs is the devil? lol

11. d12unk13astard

d12unk13astard Well-Known Member

Any way to re-size folders to 2x1, 1x2 or 2x2?

12. droidros

droidros Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the OP was asking because he/she was having the same problem as me. I couldn't figure out how to name a folder. After seeing this thread, I realized there has to be a way. For those who don't know, you open the folder then do a long press in the top where it says "folder." I had tried everything but that (menu, long press in the body, long press on the icon, etc.) and was about to ask the question here.