Font Facing Camera on Samsung Vibrant

Last Updated:

1. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

To all of those who whined when this phone was announced with no ffc, you can all rest easy now. You can actually install one with little difficult if you are willing to get your hands a little dirty sort of speak.

I am in now way shape or form responsible for this modification, just a huge supporter of it.

[WORKING] ** UPDATE 9/30 - i9000s camera installed **Camera from i9000s - xda-developers

Take a look! Oh and I will leave you with one piece

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. vuvision

vuvision Well-Known Member

There are some mad skilz geeks over in the XDA community! It appears to be a fairly simple mod, the hardest part as far I can see is the removal of the paint behind the glass. I'm keeping an eye out on this thread.

Thanks for the find! :)

3. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Well-Known Member

What the heck will they think of next???

4. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

the downside is you'll always have to be on a custom rom it seems... =/

5. vuvision

vuvision Well-Known Member

6. JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio Well-Known Member

and that's a DOWNSIDE???? lol

7. iPenguin

iPenguin Well-Known Member

So do you need a custom ROM just for the FFC to work? Or for anything to work? Because I guess if you got tired of the ROM you could give up the camera...

8. vamp6x6x6x

vamp6x6x6x Well-Known Member

I dont suppose there is a way to get a front facing camara without taking apart your phone, which now that I think about it I suppose their isn't.

You know the funnything is I have never had a phone with a front facing camara but it seems easier and whatnot so i want one lol.

9. m4r10

m4r10 Well-Known Member

beat me to it.
    not a bad mod. I would not go hacking my phone up for it tho. Now an LED flash mod...

10. darksandz93

darksandz93 Well-Known Member

i totally want to do this, i mean its very simple, but i dont wanna do it during my warranty period...ARGH!

11. cowppl

cowppl Member

I have never rooted or anything before.....don't know the first thing about all that, but this looks like a very easy mod. For me, the easy part would be installing the camera, but the hard part would be putting in the modified rom to make it work. I guess I would wait till tmobile releases froyo before i make the mod, so i wont have any problems when the update is finally released. Once i am sure there will be no updates for quite some time, I can try to do this mod

12. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Hmmm wonder if there is room in the Vibrant to put in an LED indicator, the Epic has one!

I hope they work on that next, then the LED camera flash. Dang, then this phone will be perfect!

13. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

maybe not everyone wants to root and be on a custom rom. Ever think of that?

14. darksandz93

yea thats true....im just waiting until its ported onto a 2.1 rom which eugene says he'll do, in the meantime im gonna buy the cameras, put it in, and just wait patiently for a 2.1 FFC capable rom to come out =D

15. vamp6x6x6x

Hey lets say I were to do this is there anyway to get it to detect and use it without rooting your phone and flashing it to a different rom?

16. darksandz93

Nope.....the vibrant isn't supposed to have a FFC so it thinks it doesn't have one. I believe the FFC supporting roms has a driver or something for it which enables it to work. I'm getting mine next week so ill update when i get it.

17. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

what's the point? if you already modified the hardware you have no warranty anymore, you might as well go the extra step and just load a custom rom.

18. vamp6x6x6x

Yea but I am paranoid about bricking myphone and also I wanna continue getting OTA update(by continue I mean have the possibility of maybe getting one in the future.)