For all Evo Shift 4G owners new to Android Forums - AND Shift Forum Announcements - 1/17/2011

Last Updated: 2011-01-18 21:39:31
  1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

For everyone new to our forum (including new Shift owners still lurking)-

Here's what's just happened on January 17:

One-day Expiring Redirects were left behind, but nothing is lost. :)
    Send me a private message if any questions or issues or requests.

Always ok to make notes or bookmarks of the things you find most helpful - when the time comes, we'll work together to get that info focused into the right places for maximum benefit to all.

We moderate your forum - but it's your forum to craft to the maximum advantage of getting the most out of your phone model.

Until that happens, some of us may from time to time re-post some Evo-specific, Sprint-specific, or Android-specific advice in hopes that it may apply to your Evo Shift. Remember, here's what you got:

• way cool phone running way cool Android
    • way cool HTC Sense on top of that
    • way ... uh ... uh ... you know ... Sprint stuff on top of that

So I think lots of cross-pollination of info is going to apply here.

Never be cautious about asking - our policies protect you (links in my sig), no one can flame you for asking a previously-asked question. We loves us the questions, mmmk.

From time to time, we may merge threads when it seems that putting similar info all in one place may give everyone maximum benefit. It's not a penalty or anything bad. If this happens too much, people can get confused by the chaos, so that's why our new-thread tool always tries to suggest an existing thread for you.

Always OK to send me (or anyone with a red or green name badge) a private message (PM) asking for help getting around here. To do that, there's a link near the upper left of every page here called User CP - your easy access to your PM stuff is on the left of the page along with the other tools.

Just wanted you all to note that. ;)

Finally - don't be afraid to use the Thanks button to give each other a pat on the back. It's fun, it's safe and it's been known to give users' dogs better breath and for their cats to climb fewer walls. Honest.

PS - It's ok to respond to this thread. :) If we broadcast a one-way announcement, we'll lock it, but otherwise, feel free to chat!

Advertisement
    lascapa, dex4, twospirits and 2 others like this.
  2. etbrandt

etbrandt Well-Known Member

Sometimes I overlook obvious things, but is there any way to give Thanks from mobile view?

At any rate I can't wait for a community to develop. Wonder how many folks we will see that are completely new to android, and how many are on the ditching a Hero train.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  3. EarlyMon

I'll have to check. :D

I usually don't bother with mobile view - this site looks great without it.

Also - fwiw - in the site announcement post above my sticky is the link for the new Phandroid app - lots of people prefer using that instead of a browser - I _think_ the thanks button is supposed to be live there. (Yeap - I'm supposed to _know_ -- nobuddy's perfect, ok.)

More later - we're off to look at one in person right now!!
  4. etbrandt

Yeah, the site does look great without it. It is just not as pleasant to post with the lag in the text box. I will look at that app.

Well, hopefully she decides she likes it ;)
  5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

The "thanks" button is in the official Phandroid/AF app (positive of that).

Welcome aboard to all the new users or users getting a new phone :D
    EarlyMon and etbrandt like this.
  6. etbrandt

App looks nice. It is quite a bit more polished than other apps for forums.

I'll try it out for a few days
  7. oOMavrikOo

oOMavrikOo Well-Known Member

The app for this site is awesome
    EarlyMon likes this.
  8. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Yes the phandroid app has a thanks button, quote button and reply button;) Much nicer for a quick response to a question without having to load the web page, imo
    EarlyMon likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

I hadn't been trying it since an early beta, so I gave it a go starting yesterday - I have to agree 100%, it's quick and way smooth.
    andygu3 likes this.
  10. EarlyMon

While we wait to get all the info for our Evo Shift 4G phones, here's some great info that may be of help from the Evo community. As time goes by, this forum will fill out with its own updated info, but meanwhile...

Here's a kind of link of master links:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/72354-htc-evo-4g-guide-updated-1-25-est-9-2-10-a.html

From the Evo Support and Troubleshooting subforum, here's a thread on how to do backups and restores, along with some very good configuration advice (we'll see just how good where the Shift is concerned, however) and I tend to recommend it at the first sign of trouble:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

And this one from another friendly neighbor mod, woop, just deserves a full cross-post here:

Just to be super clear -

• This is your forum
      • not mine (other than I'm a member and phone owner like you)
    • Great phones draw a great crowd
      • This stuff above isn't intended to have you or the new Shift walk in the Evo's shadow or footsteps
      • It is intended to simply give us all here a little "jump start" on any info out there that will or maybe might benefit us
      • Whether you're an old hand or total newcomer to Android and the forums - your contributions are based on your experiences, so it's all welcome in this forum
    • Make it what best serves you as a community working together
      • Everyone is free to put up a post like this one!!!
      • Eventually we'll want our own home-grown list of threads to be our reference standards for the Shift (like that link of links above)
      • As we move towards that, feel free to post those threads links right here - and go ahead and say outright you'd like this one or that one for the official record

My advice on the links above - feel free to start new threads here so we discuss the Shift with our own group's focus, and if you want, reference other forum threads (or not). Plagiarizing ideas by copy / paste is ok (always nice to credit authors tho) or cross-posting when it makes sense to you is also aok.

Cheers!
  11. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Agreed 100%. I'm very impressed. This is the best forum app I've used.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  12. NukeLuke

NukeLuke Member

I'm loving this site and have lurked before. I want to optimize my phone but I already had some issues with it.
    1. Is there a way to root it yet?
    2. I'm having some real buggy SD issues, where do I look for help on that?
    EarlyMon likes this.
  13. EarlyMon

14. NukeLuke

NukeLuke Member

EarlyMon likes this.
  15. EarlyMon

Thought this bore repeating here:

16. EarlyMon

First round of your Evo Shift 4G forum updates has begun! :)

Thanks to everyone here in making this forum great!
    devortex, sEA and dex4 like this.
  17. lascapa

lascapa Member

Hello everyone,
    I just got the evo shift this past Saturday. It is my first smart phone. So far I really like it. I hope to learn alot from these forums. If I have any questions I will be sure to post them, oh I just installed the Phandroid app also. Thanks in advance.
    Sal
  18. EarlyMon

Welcome to the forums!
    lascapa likes this.
  19. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Active Member

I am one day old and already bald. I am a retired teacher who loves technology, hence, my PS3, X-Box 360, Nintendo Wii, iMac, iPad, and now EVO Shift. It was really fun to check it out last night for the first time. I hope to learn a lot from this forum. Thanks for being here!
  20. EarlyMon

Welcome to the forums!
  21. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Active Member

Thanks, EarlyMon! I wanted to do the Forum Thanks, but couldn't find the button. Can you tell me where it might live?
  22. EarlyMon

Post thanks are to the right of each post. Sometimes I have to refresh the page to get it.
    smudgeyjoe likes this.