For all those disappointed with Google NowTips

1. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

Do the following

Go to your Google Account Dashboard.

Click Manage Account

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Go To Web History"

Turn on Web History.

After this, when you do searches, Google will gather your search data in your account and start populating Cards in Google Now. This means you'll start seeing your favorite sports teams and you will also be able to edit them. The reason the edit teams is greyed out for you is you don't have any teams. When you do searches, it will populate that field and you can then edit them to remove ones you don't want.

Advertisement
    :
    Bren S., calbearz24, Tumeg and 6 others like this.
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Great tip! Thanks Geek! :D
  3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Yeah, I deliberately turned that off because I didn't want Google tracking every single search I did. That is not information I want in some database somewhere for the feds to subpoena one day.
  4. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

Up to you. Google Now won't work properly without that turned on though. ;)
  5. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Wow! That's a lot of things about stuff I do!
  6. thengodisseven

thengodisseven Active Member

Good tip. I guess Google will know everything about me now, but this explains why certain things weren't working
  7. A.Nonymous

Fair enough. At least I know why it'll never work for me. Saves me the time of trying to troubleshoot the problem.
  8. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Meh, once you step into the digital age, it's hard to avoid the gov't (or other companies) NOT knowing about your surfing habits.
    I'm one of those idiots who puts a lot of faith in Google. I wouldn't for Facebook (hell, I just deleted my account). My surfing is mostly here or other Android sites so it's not a huge deal.
  9. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Yeah, the way I see it, if they want it they will get it, at least this way I can use the info for my benefit too.
    colchiro and breadnatty08 like this.
  10. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member

same here - you either go tin foil hat all the way, dig a hole in the ground and stay there or you stay connected and hope society doesn't roll craps.
  11. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

Well worded, but I can see why Mr. Nonymous might not dig the visibility. I had it off too until I found having search tracking on should enhance Google Now's usefulness. Figured I'd enable it and see what happens. I just won't search for anything too perverse. ;)

To each their own.
  12. val88

val88 Well-Known Member

I'll let it gather enough for NOW to be useful and then turn it off again. Maybe. Google already know so much its probably not going to matter unless I go to trial to test my online hidden-ness.
  13. LoBatt

LoBatt Well-Known Member

Two words - incognito mode.
  14. A.Nonymous

I realize the information is probably out there already, but I like to limit it as much as I can. I wouldn't want the whole world to know what I'm searching for any more than I'd want them looking through my bank account to see what I'm spending my money on. It's not that I'm doing anything illegal/shameful, just that it's none of their business.
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  15. shaneydroid

shaneydroid Well-Known Member

Brilliant, thanks for this info, not exactly obvious to me.
    I have no problem enabling web history.
  16. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

I turned it on, but I'm afraid Google is going to think I am the dumbest Android user on the planet because most of my searches are trying to help folks on here.:rolleyes:
  17. A.Nonymous

Most of my searches are related to stalking people on Facebook lately.
  18. Daz71

Daz71 Active Member

So if you enable the feature then Google will gather the information and present you with stalker cards :)
  19. Unforgiven

That's creepy...
  20. shaneydroid

shaneydroid Well-Known Member

I've been doing several searches on sports teams and so far the edit teams area is still greyed out.
    I have been unable to find any screenshots of Google now presents cards for anything other than American sports teams though.
  21. A.Nonymous

"Hi. The person you're stalking did XYZ today. Just so you know."

I could so get on board with that.
  22. Unforgiven

:rofl:
  23. candroid11

candroid11 Well-Known Member

It is grayed out for me too. This still makes zero sense to me.
  24. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

You know, I could see the Stalker card actually existing if you are connected with someone via Latitude... :eek:
  25. LoBatt

LoBatt Well-Known Member

I've had search history disabled since I discovered there was such a thing as Google tracking search history so I was a blank slate. Turned it on and searched on some Braves scores and it has them as my team after only a day. Looks like the only option is to delete them. No option that I can find to add a team.