For all your trackball problems

Last Updated:

1. newsradio2261

newsradio2261 Banned This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

iv noticed a few of you are having bad luck with the trackball only working is certain directions, i work in a phone shop and fix these problems everyday,mostly blackberry,but this is the same problem, the trackball will gather dirt,that you wont notice untill your trackball stops working,so to fix this, get a cloth and use any type of foam(small amount) and dab it on the trackball, then use the trackball in 1 direction for about 30 seconds, then the other direction,etc,etc, you clean the trackball, and it will work again and be much smoother,like i say i do this everyday,

Hope this helps you guys out!!:)

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Great bit of advice.
    Thank you...

3. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member

Thanks.:)

4. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Although I have had no problems with my trackball was beginning to worry reading about everybody else having these issues so thanks Newsradio2261 very much for this great piece of advise. Think I will give mine a clean anyway to stop this from happening. What kind of foam do you mean or will soap work? Just dont want to clogg it up. Thanks again :)

5. Dem

Dem Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip matey!

Mine is now working again, but not by cleaning it! PC Sync playing up again and the only way to resolve that is to turn the phone off and on again. Could be coincidence, but trackball scrolls in all directions now!

Silly phone......... ;-)

6. MrDan

MrDan New Member

Mine works in all directions but has a tendency to keep scrolling to the right all by itself... it's very irritating. It's intermittent, but frequent enough to be irritating.

7. singin hyound

singin hyound New Member

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem. It's driving me up the wall! Have you found a solution?

8. PaulC

PaulC Active Member

Had it on 2 heros initially... broke one and got it replaced and the replacement also does it, so I still have 2 heros that like to scroll to the right... very odd.

9. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

What exactly do you mean by foam? Foam from soap bu not too wet..?

10. kakabobo

kakabobo Member

my is black in color now due to dirt accumulating on it.

11. hero_101

hero_101 Well-Known Member

12. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

I normally put mine into the washing machine for twenty minutes on a low heat wash.

Normally does the trick. :)

13. kakabobo

kakabobo Member

how do i remove the trackball ?

14. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

Yeah...where does this "foam" come from lol

15. hero_101

16. hero_101

andy d, I think people on here don't have a GOSH but they have NOSH ;-)
    Kakabobo, did you read the thread I linked, I believe andy is joking!

17. heroparadigm

heroparadigm Well-Known Member

I would also like to know where and what this foam consists of and how to get my hands on it. So far trackball works great on my Hero but my friends BlackBerry could use a good cleaning...THanks.

18. Snarky30

Snarky30 Member

Great advice! I also work on phones for a living, and I found that in a pinch, if you rub the trackball on a piece of paper, it can help clean it out. Just put a piece of white paper on a table, and run the trackball across it in straight lines. You'll even see the paper get dirty as it takes all your finger oil and grease off. Yuck!

19. Langy

Langy Member

I think there's two issues here. Agree with the dirt build up, but there also seems to be a pattern with auto scrolling to the right. My Hero is less than 5 weeks old. It has a brand new MOdaco image on it and has been used infrequently.

Just yesterday the home page started to scroll all by itself to the right. I checked other menus to see if it would move by itself across to the right but it didnt. Maybe this is a software thing rather than dirt build up. It might even be a hardware design fault. for me it cant be dirt.

Just prior to this I had loaded on (and watched) a few videos and the Snake game.

Comments?

20. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Would shaving foam do?

21. mark1252003

mark1252003 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem on my Hero, when its working fine it feels like a "Gritty" feel while scrolling, then the trackball wouldnt scroll to the left it felt smooth ,I sorted it by pressing down on the trackball while moving around in all directions then hey presto , sorted!! ;)

22. Bellissimabelle

Bellissimabelle New Member

Thanks for the advice. My trackball would only move up, down and right but never left which made correcting texts a huge problem. I didn't have any cleaning foam but I did have some 'Simple' make-up remover wipes. I turned the phone off, put the make-up remover over the top, pressed the trackball down with my finger and forced it to the left, then right then up and down. I did this for a minute or so and TA DAAA! my trackball works perfectly!

I'm sure other make-up removers will work too. I guess the secret is that they remove dirt and grease on the face so remove dirt and grease from a trackball too!

23. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

Well this looked like an interesting thread so I checked it out but Newsradio2261 original comments and advice at the top of this thread are missing????? Could someone reiterate his advice on how to service the trackball. I don't have any problems yet but my once white track ball is now a black. Would love to know how to fix it when the time comes............

Merry Christmas.

Lisa

24. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I don't know why he was banned, but I guess he decided to try and take his posts with him on his way out.

I've put it back to the original post for you :)

25. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

Thanks XYRO. After I posted my comment I went back to see if it was just my computer at the time I was viewing it and I would try to see it again. It was at that time I realized that he was "Banned" and I had never seen that before and I was guessing his comments were taken down too. But thank you for putting them back up. I'm going to try this just to get the ball white again.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.............

Lisa