1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

For DEV's (Bootloader)

1. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Incase anyone wants to know how to get into Bootloader you turn the phone off then hold Power+Volume Down+Camera and it will go into Bootloader 2C.5C. It says Battery OK, OK to Program Connect USB Data Cable. When I plugged it in I got a driver failure instantly (win 7) so maybe someone else will have better luck.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Just tried it and I get the following:

Then I get a failure on the Windows machine to load drivers for SE Flash OMAP3430 MI:

DROID bootloader.PNG

Also running Windows 7 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, to be exact.
  3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Yea when you plug it in it changes to Transfer Mode: USB. I think we need drivers from Motorola for this to work. One step closer to Root or other hacks.
  4. johnlgalt

More specifically for that OMAP3430 device. When the OS has loaded normally, plugging the USB cable into the DROID loads a couple of drivers for the device in W7 perfectly fine - so my bet is that the OS is performing some sort of emulation for a generic Mass Storage device (which is why W7 is able to load it in an instant, without having to search online for drivers).

Ahhh, well. I know there are plenty of folks out there that have strong hardware skills - they'll be able to figure this out sometime soon.

In the meantime, I think I ma going to stop playing with apps for a while and start playing with the SDK I downloaded....
  5. hharte

hharte New Member

I was able to get into the bootloader on Droid by pressing DPAD UP while powering on. The Motorola FLASH driver loaded on my XP machine when I plugged in the USB cable. I installed the USB drivers from the MOTODEV site. Details are on my blog:

Http://www.magicandroidapps.com

Not sure what to do next though.

Howard
  6. hharte

hharte New Member

I was able to communicate with the bootloader a little bit over USB using a PC running Linux. I could submit commands but they always return ERR.

Details are on my blog: Your Page Title

-Howard
  7. johnlgalt

I was gonna test the D-pad but when I shut the phone off it restarted on its own.....

makes me wonder if an update had been passed to the phone....

Anyhoo, I downloaded the USB drivers before from Moto's website, but I am on Windows 7. I can easily install another *nix in VBox, or else load up a LiveDVD, but if you weren't able to get it to recognize the command, not sure if it will be worth it.

Were you able to navigate the file system?

Edit: Added the following:

Weird. I shut it down again, and it rebooted instead of shutting down....

I had the charger plugged in as well as the KB open, so I disconnected the charger - let's see if that was causing it to power cycle instead of jsut powering off....

Sure enough, no powre cord = no reboot. Weird.

Using the D-Pad up (toward the screen) when powering on gets to the same screen as holding Camera and volume rocker (down) when powering up - same screen I saw before, so this is just an alternate method, I suppose....

I'll play more this weekend, after reading your blogs to keep myself up to date.
  8. hharte

hharte New Member

I don't think the first stage bootloader has any concept of the filesystem. I was mainly hoping to figure out how to dump the bootloader code out to a file to examine it more closely and look for more commands.

If it were even possible to change the Linux kernel command line, that should enable rooting the phone.

-Howard
    Your Page Title - Home of Better Terminal Emulator Pro, the best Terminal Emulator for Droid.
  9. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

my phone came up to the bootloader screen simply by trying to power up when the phone was already connected. No special tricks or anything.

my first thought was "oh man... what did I do now?!?!?" I was planning on having to take the phone back.