• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For iPHONE Converts

I had every version of the iPhone except 4S, skipped that one and then jumped to the One X because I was tired of waiting on Apple to get on the "4G" wagon and I wasn't going to buy the 4S when the 5 was/is (supposedly) right around the corner.

A couple things:

I got this on launch day, so I expected bugs, but here's a couple things I've noticed and maybe someone can explain if they're a phone problem, OS/Android problem...

1. Wifi does not drop connections to networks, even though I'm MILES away. So I'll get to work, and it'll still be "connected" to my home network. With the iPhone, it automatically switched. Switching Wifi off and on again to sync to a new network is annoying.

2. SMS/MMS messages do not always send. I replaced the default program with Handcent SMS, so I at least can tell when a message doesn't send because the processing icon will sit there spinning.

3. I don't know what's with this phone, but I've pocket dialed 911 3 times now. BAD. I added Call Confirm to add another layer of protection against this, but sweet jesus! Is there possibly another lock screen configuration out there that I can use?

4. Wifi connection strength. I believe this is related to the known issue. At work, no problems, full strength. At home? Not so much, even if I'm within 5 ft of the router. 1 floor below or above? Forget about it, in most cases.

5. Can't stream music through blue tooth in my car, 2008 Audi A4. Phone connects, I can talk to people, but can't do music. I suspect it may be the car, not the phone, but any one have any experience with this? Tips? Tricks?

Overall, I'm still happy with the switch. Even the smaller amount of storage space, I realized that I don't need 30 GB of music on my phone, I'll never get through it all. I've moved to smaller amounts of music that I can easily rotate on and off the phone when I get new stuff.

Upvote 0
Not got long so will take the first one just now.

Go to settings, WiFi, press menu then choose advanced. You now have the option to auto disconnect WiFi. Try that to see if it helps.

Tried that out, did not see that option in there. I've got:

Network Notification
Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep
Wi-Fi frequency band
Best Wi-Fi performance
MAC Address
Ip address
DLNA auto-IP

Upvote 0
I've got the international gsm version (in UK) so my menu looks like this:

2012-07-01_09-35-40.png

Hope that image link works - not done it on the app before!

Reactions: Big Jankowski
Upvote 0
Hi All,

This is my first Android phone and lots to learn about it. Overall I am very satisfied coming from a non android phone and the big screen is just brilliant. The camera and Video features also seems quite good compared to my previous phone. Read most of the info on this thread, big thanks for that, but have a question which I couldn't find an answer for.

Is it possible to attached a pendrive device to the USB connector of the One x to download files, video etc. I know I can do it by connecting to my computer but I am looking for a more mobile smaller device like a memory stick to download to when I am not close to my computer.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi Rudivn, welcome to AF! :)

As far as I'm aware, no, there isn't a way to do that unfortunately. I don't believe there are even any custom ROMs which offer that ability at the moment (although I could be wrong there).

El Presidente,

Thanks's for the reply, what I expected. A pity though, for me personally that would be a nice feature to have. Well, maybe someone will come along in due course and develop a new App providing that functionality.

Cheers,
Rudi

Upvote 0
Another iPhone convert here. I had exclusively used iPhones for the last 4 years and I finally decided to switch to Android after becoming completely fed up with the staleness of iOS. I briefly used a GSM Galaxy Nexus and for the most part loved it, but found the hardware lacking, so I picked up a One X. So far I haven't had any problems and I'm enjoying this phone more than I ever enjoyed an iPhone.

I really want to install CleanROM 4.5 on my AT&T One X but I have zero experience with this. I've tried to read up on rooting but it's all just left me with a big headache. I also don't have a Windows machine, only OS X, and most things I read make it seem like Windows is required.

Can anyone help me with the best place to start for installing custom ROMs using OS X? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Just switched from the iPhone 3Gs which I had for 2 years, to the HTC One X, my first android, and so far I'm impressed. Going to the much larger phone is kind of hard on my hands (makes it almost impossible to type with one hand, which I was able to do easily on my iPhone) but having more room on the screen is nice. Although I've noticed that a lot of things, menus in particular, appear to be blown up more then necessary to fit the larger screen. I'm sure this is something I'll just have to get used to. The battery life is noticeably better than my 3Gs was, which is a definate plus. Towards the end there I was having to charge my iPhone 2 or 3 times a day! The HOX easily lasts all day, even with heavy texting and app use.

I just downloaded the ICS keyboard and so far it seems much better than the stock one. I downloaded the GO Keyboard app also, but was having a hard time finding a theme that I liked. I think someone mentioned an iPhone theme at one time, but I couldnt find that at all! Plus it feels silly to switch to Droid and then just make my phone exactly like the iPhone was to begin with.. If anyone knows of a good keyboard app, especially if it has emojis, please help me out! :)

I'm still in the process of finding a good SMS, and e-mail alternative. One of the things I love about Android is the customizability, which is one of the main reasons I switched in the first place.. but now that I've got it, I'm actually feeling a bit overwhelmed by the options! I just want a decent e-mail app, preferably a widget actually (I am in LOVE with widgets) that I can refresh from the screen (the Mail widget that came on the phone doesnt have a refresh option, I have to actually go to the program to make it refresh, which kind of makes having a widget on my screen pointless..) I have a Yahoo! e-mail account, and my school e-mail which is through windows live outlook, so I need something that will work with those and have them in the same place. (Like the iPhone e-mail app...)

Also a text / SMS app that isnt too confusing. I really dont like the stock one. And I hate that Android doesnt do group-messaging like the iPhone. I have the GroupMe app, because I had a few group messages with people who didnt have smart phones, which I understand. But I see no reason this phone, which IS a smartphone, shouldnt be able to do group-messages like the iPhone. Does anyone know of an app or something that can do this? I dont like that you cant do pictures through GroupMe (not in SMS style anyway).

Plus I've been having the problem of not recieving messages from people. People with iPhones, I suppose. I told them to delete the threads they had with me (where it was sending iMessages) and that seems to have worked for the most part.

I havent even started to attempt to transfer my music to my phone, the whole process just seems mind-boggling. If someone could walk me through the steps I would need to take, I'd really appreciate it. :/ I need some serious hand-holding through this process..

OH! And another thing. I dont even know how to begin going about uploading ringtones and texttones to this device. On my iPhone I had an app that could copy bits of songs and turn them into ringtone files, which are now on my iTunes. Is there a way to sync those over to my Android so I can use them?

AAANNDDD.. I havent been able to figure out how to get to my voicemail.. I'm probably just dumb but.. this is a problem obviously lol. I received one and was able to access it through the notification, but still. I'm supposed to have visual voicemail, but I have no idea where that is. Even when I used the notification to listen to the one I got, it did the regular voicemail "press bla button to listen, press bla button to delete, ect. Where can I find my visual voicemail, and activate it if its not? The visual voicemail was one feature of the iPhone that I really loved when it got updated to that.

Upvote 0
Just switched from the iPhone 3Gs which I had for 2 years, to the HTC One X, my first android, and so far I'm impressed. Going to the much larger phone is kind of hard on my hands (makes it almost impossible to type with one hand, which I was able to do easily on my iPhone) but having more room on the screen is nice. Although I've noticed that a lot of things, menus in particular, appear to be blown up more then necessary to fit the larger screen. I'm sure this is something I'll just have to get used to. The battery life is noticeably better than my 3Gs was, which is a definate plus. Towards the end there I was having to charge my iPhone 2 or 3 times a day! The HOX easily lasts all day, even with heavy texting and app use.

Welcome to AF LehFoxeh, glad you're enjoying the jump!

I just downloaded the ICS keyboard and so far it seems much better than the stock one. I downloaded the GO Keyboard app also, but was having a hard time finding a theme that I liked. I think someone mentioned an iPhone theme at one time, but I couldnt find that at all! Plus it feels silly to switch to Droid and then just make my phone exactly like the iPhone was to begin with.. If anyone knows of a good keyboard app, especially if it has emojis, please help me out! :)

Try Swype, it's different and can take a while to get used to, but it makes one handed typing mega easy. Alternatively, SwiftKey X is also very good.

I'm still in the process of finding a good SMS, and e-mail alternative. One of the things I love about Android is the customizability, which is one of the main reasons I switched in the first place.. but now that I've got it, I'm actually feeling a bit overwhelmed by the options! I just want a decent e-mail app, preferably a widget actually (I am in LOVE with widgets) that I can refresh from the screen (the Mail widget that came on the phone doesnt have a refresh option, I have to actually go to the program to make it refresh, which kind of makes having a widget on my screen pointless..) I have a Yahoo! e-mail account, and my school e-mail which is through windows live outlook, so I need something that will work with those and have them in the same place. (Like the iPhone e-mail app...)

For SMS, it's not very widely known, but take a look at Pansi. It's customisable, lightweight and looks nicer than the stock app.

For Email, I'd go with K9-Mail

Also a text / SMS app that isnt too confusing. I really dont like the stock one. And I hate that Android doesnt do group-messaging like the iPhone. I have the GroupMe app, because I had a few group messages with people who didnt have smart phones, which I understand. But I see no reason this phone, which IS a smartphone, shouldnt be able to do group-messages like the iPhone. Does anyone know of an app or something that can do this? I dont like that you cant do pictures through GroupMe (not in SMS style anyway).

Plus I've been having the problem of not recieving messages from people. People with iPhones, I suppose. I told them to delete the threads they had with me (where it was sending iMessages) and that seems to have worked for the most part.

Not sure about Group SMS, sorry. It's not something I'd use to any great extent.

I havent even started to attempt to transfer my music to my phone, the whole process just seems mind-boggling. If someone could walk me through the steps I would need to take, I'd really appreciate it. :/ I need some serious hand-holding through this process..

OH! And another thing. I dont even know how to begin going about uploading ringtones and texttones to this device. On my iPhone I had an app that could copy bits of songs and turn them into ringtone files, which are now on my iTunes. Is there a way to sync those over to my Android so I can use them?

Create a folder on your SD Card called Music, connect your phone to your PC as a disk drive, copy your MP3's to the music folder, disconnect the phone from the PC. Open the music app, et volia! If you want to import your iTunes library, look at Doubletwist or iSyncr.

For ringtones, create a folder on your SD Card called "Ringtones" (minus the quotes) and put the tunes you want to use in there. If they're in that folder, they'll appear in the list of available ring tones. For SMS Alerts, do the same, but crfeate a folder called "Notifications". Alternatively, let Ringdroid do it all for you. :)

AAANNDDD.. I havent been able to figure out how to get to my voicemail.. I'm probably just dumb but.. this is a problem obviously lol. I received one and was able to access it through the notification, but still. I'm supposed to have visual voicemail, but I have no idea where that is. Even when I used the notification to listen to the one I got, it did the regular voicemail "press bla button to listen, press bla button to delete, ect. Where can I find my visual voicemail, and activate it if its not? The visual voicemail was one feature of the iPhone that I really loved when it got updated to that.

Visual Voicemal? Not sure about that. If I want to access voicemail, I open the dialer and hold the 1 button. Does that work for you? If no, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Hope all that helps, don't hesitate to ask if you need anything clarified. :)

Upvote 0
AAANNDDD.. I havent been able to figure out how to get to my voicemail.. I'm probably just dumb but.. this is a problem obviously lol. I received one and was able to access it through the notification, but still. I'm supposed to have visual voicemail, but I have no idea where that is. Even when I used the notification to listen to the one I got, it did the regular voicemail "press bla button to listen, press bla button to delete, ect. Where can I find my visual voicemail, and activate it if its not? The visual voicemail was one feature of the iPhone that I really loved when it got updated to that.[/QUOTE]

I'm with Optus in Australia and to get to my voicemail, I just have to dial 321. You could try that and see if it works.

Upvote 0
OK so I figured out the visual voicemail. You have to download the AT&T visual voicemail app, it doesn't come pre installed. The set up was ready though.

Google voice is pretty awesome, but AT&T tries to block it by not allowing the app to change the phone settings as part of its setup. You have to enter your Google Voice number as the the forwarding number in settings manually.

Main advantages to Google Voice are:

Transcripts (these are usually laughable but do improve over time )
Separate online access via a web browser
And you can customize your voicemail salutation for specific numbers

Upvote 0
Google voice is pretty awesome, but AT&T tries to block it by not allowing the app to change the phone settings as part of its setup. You have to enter your Google Voice number as the the forwarding number in settings manually.

Main advantages to Google Voice are:

Transcripts (these are usually laughable but do improve over time )
Separate online access via a web browser
And you can customize your voicemail salutation for specific numbers

You can actually set up GV through the website and bypass the crappy app set up on your ATT OneX. Just use the forwarding set up online and download the app. Voila!

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

It's my first day with my One X. I've been looking forward to my upgrade for a while now. I'm coming from an iPhone 4. Quick question about bluetooth...

I have a 2013 Subaru with a very nice bluetooth stereo setup that worked wonderfully with my iPhone. It would automatically pair whenever I got in and started the car, and even started playing whatever I was playing last, be it Pandora or iPod music. Now with the One X I seem to have to pair it every time I get back in the car. It makes listening to music while out running errands (getting in and out of the car a lot) quite annoying. Has anyone experienced this? Do I just have to get over the fact that it won't auto-pair? I've read in a few other places that bluetooth with ICS isn't the greatest right now and very buggy. Something about it being hardware capable, but not software capable. If I'm out of luck for the moment I hope jellybean will address this issue.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Upvote 0
Wanted to comment to keep this post alive.

Converted to S3 from iPhone 3gs. I like it simply because the screen is huge.

Would love to be able to convert my iPhone Apps so I don't have to replace them. The last issue I had was calls dropping. I followed the steps of removing the, Powering down, remove the Battery & Sim card. Replace the Sim Card, then the battery. Re-assembling the case, and powering back on.

I've only had 2 phones calls since. I'll call my parents late tonight or early morning and see if I drop their call.

If I can make a few calls tonight and tomorrow without dropping I'll keep the phone. Otherwise I'm returning it for an iPhone 5.

I don't like having to look up every single issue to keep my phone working. Would prefer everything worked.

I also keep getting text messages that someone wants to chat with me. Don't know if this is spam, coming from Facebook or since android is an open system everyone can spam you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones