• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For iPHONE Converts

My wife insists that I participate in group texting with her and other iphone users. Here is how you do it. Download Handcent from Play market. Open and go to Menu, Settings, Application Settings. Select "Default Messaging Application" and select "All" then go "back" to last menu. Then scroll all the way down and select "Thread Group Conversation". Now back out to main settings menu. Select "Receive Message Settings" and check "Auto retrieve" and "Auto Download". Now that should get things going on Handcent. Then open up the stock messaging app and then menu, settings and turn off "Notifications". Else you will get duplicate notifications. Remove the stock messaging icon from home screen bar and replace with Handcent. I know a lot of work for something that Android should already do. I am sure it's a patent thing. BTW I am on AT&T with a GS3 running

Upvote 0
I switched from my 3gs to the SGS3 month ago. I also did it because of the screen. The SGS3 screen is beautiful and responsive and so easy to watch/read. I've found some replacements for apps that I was used to on IOS and I have learned to live with the shorter battery life (it is shorter than my 3GS even with Juice Defender in operation). I now have a Philips dock - which was the only android compatible dock in the local shopping centre. My BT car set up still functions though my charger requires external cables rather than a neat wired in cradle.

Unfortunately I have not found any suitable on-ear headphones. (I cannot use the in-ear or earbud style) IOS users can pick from a huge range with inline remotes, mics, volume control, open or closed back, big cans or neat foldables. In the meantime I cannot find one set with an inline remote that will control the volume on my phone. I finally found some philips on-ear headphones with a working mic but the volume control does not work. The app just brings up Google search and others reviewing the app in the play store have noted the same problem.

So despite all the customizations available to me, I cannot get what I need for a phone that is supposedly the biggest selling phone in the world.

If anyone has a suggestions for over-the-ear headphones with inline remote, I would be very grateful to hear them.

Upvote 0
hi guys i havent visit/contributed to this forum section for many month now.
reason is that i switched to Samsung Note 2.

The thing is, after using my previous HTC ONE X for 5 month i still feels like a 'beta' user in many way to the whole ONE X+Android experience.

But once i changed to Samsung Note 2, my view totally changed, and i'll prefer my phone over any iphones :)

So all i can say is that either your on Jelly Bean (or in my case Samsung Note 2), then you are not going to feel the overall experience on par with iphone4/iphone5, in terms of smoothness/responsiveness/tasking.

i cant say if its a HTC thing or what since i havnt used enough android phones to critc, but hopefully you guys will be able to confirm if its the hardware combo or if its the OS/JB that sets it apart.

I still miss the beautiful form factor of HTC ONE X though, imo its still the most sexy Android looking phones out there. :)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I have not found any suitable on-ear headphones. (I cannot use the in-ear or earbud style) IOS users can pick from a huge range with inline remotes, mics, volume control, open or closed back, big cans or neat foldables. In the meantime I cannot find one set with an inline remote that will control the volume on my phone. I finally found some philips on-ear headphones with a working mic but the volume control does not work.

If anyone has a suggestions for over-the-ear headphones with inline remote, I would be very grateful to hear them.

Hi Daphne, i feel your frustration.. many month ago (even till now) when i first got my Android phone/HTC ONE x.
Unfortunately there is no straight solution to this unless the headphone manufacturer makes headsets specifically for Android devices.
As you know there isnt much out there with this inbuild as the so called 'main stream' still revolves around Apple product. Hopefully it'll gradually change since the fail of iphone5.

On this note however, different type of headsets (for 'i' products) sometimes produces different functions to button pressings. For example my Incase over-the-ears has 3 button (vol up / middle button / vol down), though both vol up and down dont do nothing, but the middle button does:
single press - pause/play
long press - google now voice search
double press - next track
And i just have to control the vol up and down via the phones button.

NOW if you dont even want to touch your phone for vol control, there is one great solution, without bounded by headset-android combo, is to use an app called [Headset Button Controller]
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5rb2Jlci5oZWFkc2V0Il0.

This will basically let you configure extra functions to your middle button.
For example it now has [press button 4 times] function where it'll activate this:
[vol 1 start > steps up a vol every dot timing > until max vol]
and you press the middle button to select any of the reached desired volume.

hope this helps! :)
GOOD LUCK :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Hello - I'm expecting my HTC one X in the mail any day now - since I'm transitioning from being an iPhone user for the past 3 years (my only 'smart' phone until now) I read through the thread and frankly I'm a little overwhelmed at all that can be done to this phone.

I'm not the most technologically-savvy, so is there any value in keeping as much stock as possible? I use my phone a lot for work, and it involves a lot of emailing, texting, and taking photos. How does everyone feel about the stuff that came with the phone for those sort of features?

Most importantly, is there a possibility of seriously screwing anything up by downloading the wrong apps?

Upvote 0
Loads of folk keep their phone stock and have no issues, so if you decide to not bother with any 3rd Party apps, I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

If you're in to taking pictures, the stock HTC Camera is probably about the best you can get. It takes a decent picture and it's pretty fast (burst mode is second to none).

The stock text app is fine, it's pretty basic, but does what it needs to. I'd steer clear of GoSMS as some people report ads in their notification bar when using Go Products, but look at Handcent, Pansi or Chomp as alternatives.

I just use gmail for mail, so can't really comment on the stock mail app, sorry. I have used K9 Mail on previous handsets and found it excellent so you could have a look at that if HTC's offering doesn't do what you need it to.

As for screwing stuff up by installing the wrong apps, just limit your installs to stuff on Google Play and check out app ratings and feedback and you should be ok. Be sure to check out app permissions to, make sure there's nothing untoward there. If you fancy a bit of lengthy reading on app permissions, take a look here: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

If you get stuck, by all means, don't be afraid to ask us questions. :)

Reactions: mjvala780
Upvote 0
Hey all I just got a htc one S, not the X but almost the same phone minus screen size. I am liking since I'm switching over from an iPhone 5 which I'll always like haha. But it does take some adjusts g to get used to android.

I'm not sure if this is normal but as far as battery life goes with moderate to heavy usage I get about 16 hours of usage out of my phone with moderate use not sure if that's normal or not, it seems kinda to short to me? Can anyone confirm or deny that? Or are u guys having the same or better stats? That's also with screen on time just barely hitting 3 hours, 2 hours 38 minutes or so.

Other then that I'm liking sense I have used touch wiz and it's not for me. I don't like the look of it and it was always laggy for me, and that's with the galaxy 2. Long post lol but definitely takes some time to get used to as far as switching from the iPhone.

Upvote 0
Any chance anyone works for the post office and can tell me why my phone keeps going moving around Orlando according to the USPS tracking service (it originated in Texas on 1/9), even though I live in Ohio? I've been eagerly looking forward to trying this thing out since I ordered it almost two weeks ago!

Oh well, in the mean time, I keep reading these forums and trying to lower my learning curve...

Upvote 0
Got my new phone late last week. After messing around with it for the weekend, I am hooked. My only concern is battery life. I'm sure it had something to do.with something I was.doing, but today, I lost over 70% of the battery in the course of 3 hours. My suspicion is that I wasn't in a WiFi zone and it was searching for a connection the whole time. I noticed a post about having it automatically turn WiFi on and off but could not find that setting on my phone. I also wonder if it had something to do with GPS as the top battery usage came from google maps... So I disabled that. Any other things I should check?

Upvote 0
Is it a brand new phone? Batteries tend to take a while to settle anyway so it might get better over time.

That being said, 70% is a lot and GPS/WiFi can be big hitters. Were you in a poor signal area? That's another big drain on battery as the phone will push more power to the radio in an attempt to get a better signal.

Reactions: mjvala780
Upvote 0
I guess this is a good starting thread for me. I have had an iPhone since it came out, never have used an android. I got the Galaxy S4 Active and I love it. There are so many customization options that its hard for me to know exactly what I want. I do have 2 big issues.

1.) The contacts/message pictures in the phone... I absolutely hate it! Is there a way to completely remove the pictures of the creepy smiley face characters? I have a few contacts with pictures and others without and I do not want to go through all of them to add a random picture.

2.) Text messaging. I got GO SMS Pro and the Theme Maker and it works well but I keep coming across an issue. I create my theme exactly how I want it, but the "contact display page" where it lists all your text message conversations loads the theme but it has a semi transparent white "film" over it so it makes the background image look faded. It is really annoying.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I could use some help! Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones