• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For people who's battery go from 100% to 90% in a matter of minutes

What are your results ?

• It works!

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • It doesn't work ... *SOB*

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • I have yet to try it

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • I'm still waiting for more feedback

Votes: 35 26.7%

• Total voters
For those of you who want to dismiss any options, i'm not sure why you would do that since thats what the open source community does.. unless you're part of the operating system engineering team, you have no true idea what goes on in the background and whats required and whats not.. what's so great about the opensource community is that everyone tries everything and eventually weed out the good from the bad and come to an answer... and who knows doing tricks that don't work could always breed tricks that work...

in other works .. like said by swatpup ... if it doesn't hurt to do it.. why not do it.. you lose nothing but gain the knowledge that you've narrowed down your list of possible fixes by 1

Reactions: sh4o8kid
Upvote 0
Agree 100%. VincentLaw is being a pessimist and just putting down the idea. There are plenty of people on the thread who said they are seeing a difference, including me.

I urge everyone to try it and see what their results are and post them. I've been using the EVO moderately since this morning as I normally do, and my battery is still at 87%. It would be somewhere in the lower 60s by now.

Upvote 0
Agree 100%. VincentLaw is being a pessimist and just putting down the idea. There are plenty of people on the thread who said they are seeing a difference, including me.

I urge everyone to try it and see what their results are and post them. I've been using the EVO moderately since this morning as I normally do, and my battery is still at 87%. It would be somewhere in the lower 60s by now.

For those of you who want to dismiss any options, i'm not sure why you would do that since thats what the open source community does.. unless you're part of the operating system engineering team, you have no true idea what goes on in the background and whats required and whats not.. what's so great about the opensource community is that everyone tries everything and eventually weed out the good from the bad and come to an answer... and who knows doing tricks that don't work could always breed tricks that work...

in other works .. like said by swatpup ... if it doesn't hurt to do it.. why not do it.. you lose nothing but gain the knowledge that you've narrowed down your list of possible fixes by 1

Glad to see results! If you guys can, update us on how the battery life turns out.

Seigex, you speak the truth, it actually makes sense.

Upvote 0
dunno if I'm speaking with truth.. just trying to use logic... but unfortunately in my case its not helping and i'm down 9% in 32 minutes.... so back to the drawing board

If that's how much battery life you're getting using the various tweaks and tips seen on this forum and other sites, go exchange your phone ASAP. No way should you be getting such poor battery life. Has to be a bad battery. Unless you have everything on (GPS, WiFi, BT, etc.), are syncing Facebook and Twitter every two minutes and watching a movie at the same time :) Which I doubt you do.

Upvote 0
Okay so I did the SD card trick as well as the a program called startup cleaner 2.0 that is listed in another thread.

I charged the phone at 2:00pm EST and put it in on a couple of times to check the battery and up until 2:45pm my battery stayed at 100%. I can honestly say I have never seen this happen and usually within minutes it is down to the low 90's.

Started to do some web surfing at 2:45 and watched my bettery drop down to 99%. I do not think I ever saw that number on my screen yet....It usually goes from 100% to 94% within minutes.......

It is now 2:53pm and my battery reads at 97%. I will post back in an hour what it reads. Probably won't play on it in the next hour but it will be good to see it stay in the 90's just from idleing which it has never stayed at before......

Upvote 0
but also keep in mind that android seems to mysteriously launch a whole bunch of programs (whether they are running or in standby as people seem to think) and they are in memory.. although people seem to say that programs that are in the background are in standby because thats how linux work don't really know much about linux, unless its android specific... linux is a true multi-tasking operating system and if programs are in the background, especially java apps which I believe android is based on, there are housekeeping processes and garbage collection processes that run constantly.. I haven't figured out that why after a reboot i'll have a different set of 10 or so programs always loaded into memory but I guess I'll have to root my phone and check a "ps aux" to figure it out...

Or you could just look at the pointer to my thread on Startup Cleaner 2.0 (Real App Startup Control, referenced above), fix it and get rid of the problem without rooting your phone.

There's an app for that.

Sprint and HTC are marking their user apps as system apps - you don't have to stand for that.

And also checkout a good system monitor - the more you have running in the background, the higher the CPU speed goes up - and hence - higher power consumption.

It's that simple.

Upvote 0
If that's how much battery life you're getting using the various tweaks and tips seen on this forum and other sites, go exchange your phone ASAP. No way should you be getting such poor battery life. Has to be a bad battery. Unless you have everything on (GPS, WiFi, BT, etc.), are syncing Facebook and Twitter every two minutes and watching a movie at the same time :) Which I doubt you do.

Nope, don't have any of that.. i disabled everything, including gps have background data off.. only widget I have constantly running is gmail and didn't use my phone once during that time no bt gps wifi etc... no twitter or fb...... yeah I get pretty bad battery :)

Upvote 0
Dude i should give you a kiss no homo your a life saver my battery percentage usually drops 10% and higher after a few minutes this trick along with the multiple charge trick got me to the afternoon with my battery at 86% and i'm talking about heavy usage youtube showing off 4g to friends browsing and going on flash sites and even using the hdmi to convince a friend to buy it i even played games on it and watched boondocks on it. i think my battery life is off the hook i cant wait to get my 1750 seido battery and go crazy .

this should be stickied.

Upvote 0
Wanted to drop one ounce of optimism to all the loyal EVO users. We're all early adopters so most of us understand there are going to be issues anytime you have the latest and greatest technology.

The good news is that HTC/Google haven't really sent out any software/firmware updates yet, other than the SD card fix that disabled rooting early on. So all the tips and tricks this community has come up with have greatly helped in achieving battery life, and the hope is when HTC/Google start sending updates it will make this handset even better.

Upvote 0
Dude i should give you a kiss no homo your a life saver my battery percentage usually drops 10% and higher after a few minutes this trick along with the multiple charge trick got me to the afternoon with my battery at 86% and i'm talking about heavy usage youtube showing off 4g to friends browsing and going on flash sites and even using the hdmi to convince a friend to buy it i even played games on it and watched boondocks on it. i think my battery life is off the hook i cant wait to get my 1750 seido battery and go crazy .

this should be stickied.

you made me lol :p emoticon me man. This just might be a temporary fix cause i haven't had the chance to test it out for a long time. I tested it twice last night and seemed to work so i decided to post here. Problems could possibly arise later.

Upvote 0
Wanted to drop one ounce of optimism to all the loyal EVO users. We're all early adopters so most of us understand there are going to be issues anytime you have the latest and greatest technology.

The good news is that HTC/Google haven't really sent out any software/firmware updates yet, other than the SD card fix that disabled rooting early on. So all the tips and tricks this community has come up with have greatly helped in achieving battery life, and the hope is when HTC/Google start sending updates it will make this handset even better.

that is important to keep in mind when we get frustrated. This is the first american 4G phone. I am constantly impressed with the amount of time and effort that this community puts into discovering and documenting fixes and workarounds. Theres probably about 4-5 valid battery saving fixes out there (the one that has worked best for me is gsm>cdma). Kudos to you all.

Did have one question, I'm using a 16gig class6 sd card that I had in my hero, the first thing I did when handed my EVO was to pop it in. Would a reformat be warranted? I do get immediate 5-6% drop in battery life after a couple minutes from taking it off the charger. Might be worth doing just for the hell of it.

Upvote 0
that is important to keep in mind when we get frustrated. This is the first american 4G phone. I am constantly impressed with the amount of time and effort that this community puts into discovering and documenting fixes and workarounds. Theres probably about 4-5 valid battery saving fixes out there (the one that has worked best for me is gsm>cdma). Kudos to you all.

Did have one question, I'm using a 16gig class6 sd card that I had in my hero, the first thing I did when handed my EVO was to pop it in. Would a reformat be warranted? I do get immediate 5-6% drop in battery life after a couple minutes from taking it off the charger. Might be worth doing just for the hell of it.

to quote somebody.."Just do it!"

Upvote 0
Okay so I did the SD card trick as well as the a program called startup cleaner 2.0 that is listed in another thread.

I charged the phone at 2:00pm EST and put it in on a couple of times to check the battery and up until 2:45pm my battery stayed at 100%. I can honestly say I have never seen this happen and usually within minutes it is down to the low 90's.

Started to do some web surfing at 2:45 and watched my bettery drop down to 99%. I do not think I ever saw that number on my screen yet....It usually goes from 100% to 94% within minutes.......

It is now 2:53pm and my battery reads at 97%. I will post back in an hour what it reads. Probably won't play on it in the next hour but it will be good to see it stay in the 90's just from idleing which it has never stayed at before......
3:51pm and still have 96% battery remaining.......Unheard of on my device up until today!

Upvote 0
WOW! BIGGGG difference. I use to see 100% drop to 87-85% within a matter of minutes, barely using it. I formatted, and now I'm at 90% after using the phone quite heavily for the past 4 hours. I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with this, thank you SOOOO much for the hot tip here.

What I did:

-Plugged my phone into my Mac via USB
-Selected the option to use phone as storage device
-Copied all the data on my phone after it mounted
-Went to my disk utility manager
-Formatted device to FAT32 by clicking the "Erase" button
-Replaced all my data

This worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
I too have been suffering from the 10% loss with 30 or so minutes after unplug from full charge. I completed the OP's instructions, and after unplug I was still at 100% after 30 mins. After 1 hour I was at 99% (no wi-fi, no gps, email is set to push). It's now been 2 hours and I'm down to 96%. However, I'm also running this battery hack which has also helped a lot with battery performance.

Upvote 0

I don't think you have anything to lose. You should go ahead and do it. It would also provide valuable information towards this fix.

The sentiment that this might be a temporary fix might be correct. Especially if folks who are using brand new SD cards (i.e. 16GB) are also having the same problems. I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope that this trend continues.

Upvote 0
The SD card in the phone has to be the problem. I'm testing right now. I took the SD card out at 3:43pm at 100% battery and right now at 3:57 the meter just went to 99%. I have the display on the whole time. Now about to charge back up to 100% with SD card in and phone off and test how long it takes to get to 99%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones