• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help For the 2 people besides myself with a G9, ICS is coming!

Steve Adams

Nov 8, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
Just read on phandroid that we are getting ICS early in 2012.! sweet! thats going to be great. I also hope that some of the apps I need will be available on ICS too. my rbc mobile app only works on my galaxy. Not on my tablet, I cannot even find it there!..as well as a bunch of shopping apps like canadian tire, etc they are all on my galaxy but not the tab.

I guess its honeycomb instead of gingerbread...

So has anyone gotten ICS yet. I saw in the news, both here on the Android Forums and on Android Central, that the G9 tablets are getting ICS. I haven't bought one yet, but am planning on getting the 80 G9 250GB tablet. I'd like to know how the upgrade goes so I can have an idea of what to expect when I do get it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
It's here - downloading it now.

Archos 80/101 G9

Firmware changes

Version 4.0.4 - March 8th, 2012

• Initial Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 firmware release
  • MediaCenter Video: support for MKV3D on TV with automatic switch to best 3D mode
  • MediaCenter Video: allow to disable system notifications in video player
  • MediaCenter Video: collection of VOB files from DVD are now gathered into a single movie item
  • MediaCenter Music: integrate Music control panel in Lock Screen
  • MediaCenter info dialog: allow to edit the name used for performing the Movie and TVShow online search
  • File Manager: display a notification when file copy continues in background
  • File Manager: improved drag and drop support
  • File Manager: new option to prevent indexing of some storage/sdcard folders by multimedia library
  • Applications: more robust video conferencing support (Google talk, Skype etc.)
  • USB file transfer: a samba server is now activated on the tablet when using USB network tethering for easier file transfer on non Windows based hosts
  • Archos widgets: new USB network tether widget
  • External Keyboard: french layout has been expanded to handle AtlGr keys for special symbols
  • Accessories: Xbox gamepad support

ARCHOS

Upvote 0
It's here - downloading it now.

Archos 80/101 G9

Firmware changes

Version 4.0.4 - March 8th, 2012

• Initial Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 firmware release
  • MediaCenter Video: support for MKV3D on TV with automatic switch to best 3D mode
  • MediaCenter Video: allow to disable system notifications in video player
  • MediaCenter Video: collection of VOB files from DVD are now gathered into a single movie item
  • MediaCenter Music: integrate Music control panel in Lock Screen
  • MediaCenter info dialog: allow to edit the name used for performing the Movie and TVShow online search
  • File Manager: display a notification when file copy continues in background
  • File Manager: improved drag and drop support
  • File Manager: new option to prevent indexing of some storage/sdcard folders by multimedia library
  • Applications: more robust video conferencing support (Google talk, Skype etc.)
  • USB file transfer: a samba server is now activated on the tablet when using USB network tethering for easier file transfer on non Windows based hosts
  • Archos widgets: new USB network tether widget
  • External Keyboard: french layout has been expanded to handle AtlGr keys for special symbols
  • Accessories: Xbox gamepad support

ARCHOS

Thank you for the post. Please let us know how the upgrade goes.

Upvote 0
Upgrade has gone pretty well. Not lost or had to reinstall or lost anything. Everything working apart from 1 game - Tank Recon 3D. When you press the fire button it turns the tank right rather than fires (you can see the direction joystick on the left hand side of the screen flick across to the right.) Does this intermittently - fires OK some times. I'm sure they'll update it.

Not found any other issues with it as of yet.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
I got the firmware notification towards the end of last week and let the download/install go ahead Saturday Morning. Seemed to go without issues number of things different but no real problem just a bit of a surprise when things pop up different to what you have got use to.

I was surprised to find the desktop wallpaper hadn't changed. I was using the base Honeycomb dark blue with that sort of shadow honeycomb pattern fading out towards the LH side of the screen. Only reason, the apps seemed to stand out better against the dark blue.

Anyway Sunday morning the G9 needed charging, I did no more than plug it in and check that 'charging in progress' was showing on the locked desktop; it was then still the dark blue Honeycomb DT.

When I came back to unplug the charger I was surprised to find that the desktop had changed to a pale washed out and very out of focus picture of a living room with a settee to the right, a brass pendant ceiling lamp centre above a coffee table, and a patio window with yellow curtains in the background.

I looked in the wallpapers and now found that the options that had been available in 3.2 were no longer there and new ones available, but more confusing the picture of this unknown living room was not amongst the wallpapers. I searched everywhere I could think of where pics might be stored but, even through our own pics on the SD card, but couldn't find this living room pic anywhere.

Eventually I gave up and replaced it with one of the standard wallpapers.

No idea where the living room pic came from, where it's gone to or who's living room it was anyway. :thinking:

Anybody else had this or is my G9 haunted.;)

Upvote 0
Hello all, my first post. Just bought a Archos 80 G9 yesterday, my first tablet/Android device. Something downloaded almost as soon as I first fired it up but I don't know if it was ICS. Is there a way to tell which Android version I am running?

I was disappointed to find that the advertised 3G slot-in adapter would not work in the USA. Archos does not make that clear on their box advertising. Even the retailer I purchased it from was unaware of the restriction.

Upvote 0
Hi Pridi,

Sorry about the 3G adaptor. Can't really advise on that as I'm in the UK and there isn't a problem with the adaptor here. Seems way out of order though selling stuff in the US that won't work there.

Think I can help you with the firmware type you have though.

Bearing in mind that when I first got my G9 and booted it also did an upgrade of some kind but it wasn't to ICS.

What I'm going to explain about checking firmware type won't make sense if you are not updated to Android4 (ICS) as the procedure on Honeycomb 3.2 was a bit different. But basically you need to go into settings and check the Firmware status there.

So first you need to touch the block of 6 dots in the top RH corner of the screen. (on 3.2 to the side of this there was another option which took you into settings)

So if you only have the block of 6 dots it's fairly certain it is ICS but to be certain carry on as follows.

When you touch the dots the screen will change and present you with a selection of icons.

Look to the top left of the screen, here you will find two options, 'APPS' and 'WIDGETS' You need to be in the 'Apps' option so if 'Widgets' is underlined in blue, tap the 'APPS' option and the screen will then display all the 'Apps' currently installed on your tablet.

You are looking for an 'App' labelled settings if it's not amongst the apps you can see try swiping the screen left or right to bring up extra apps icons.

Once you have found one called settings tap it and the settings screen will open.
(if you are still on 3.2 you will have access to setting from the desktop as standard)

Once in settings swipe the list upwards until you get right to the last entry which should say 'About Tablet' tap this and the tablet information should appear. About halfway down the list you will find firmware version, if you have the new release it will say '4.0.4 (Android 4.0.3) which is IceCreamSandwich. Honeycomb was Android 3.1 or 2

If you are not on Android 4 swipe up to the top of the list and (with WiFi on) tap System updates, it should then automatically lead you through any updates that are available.

When you have done this if you would like to place the settings App onto one of your desk tops for easy access go back to the setting App but this time instead of just tapping it, touch and hold, and the desk top will appear when you remove you finger the settings App shortcut will be released onto the desktop.

If you want it on a different desk top touch and hold again then slide the shortcut to the edge of the screen wait a second and the other desktop will swing into place.

If you want to remove the shortcut, touch and hold and look to the top of the screen. The word 'remove' will have appeared drag the unwanted shortcut over the word 'remove' and release it.

Hope that helps
Jack

(just popped back to add this http://archosfans.com/ see third paragraph, it seems there may be some hope in the near future for the 3G stick in the US)

Upvote 0
Yes! I think you could be right. My ICS update came through last Thurs/Friday but I notice others had theirs before this.

Just a thought, but one thing you might try is updating to the last Honeycomb version 3.2.80 and try again there is a possibility that you may not get offered ICS unless you have the last version of HComb installed. I would have expected that if you apply for the latest update manually you would have got what was available.

When I got my G9 about 3 weeks ago, out of the box, it was 3.1 after a week or so I got the offer to update to 3.2 then last week the offer to update to Android 4.

Incidentally when you do get ICS, there is another way to get into setting that I have just discovered which seems to have replaced the cross top right of screen in 3.2. (if you don't want the settings app on your desktop you can do it this way)

1. Touch the notification tray (where the time is displayed) bottom right of screen, The notifications will pop up.

2. Below the now enlarged Time display find three small horizontal lines representing slide controls and touch them.

3. You will now have quick access controls for WiFi, Airplane mode, etc. at the bottom of the list find settings. Touch settings and you are now into settings.

After replying to your post I thought there must be a standard way to get at setting from the desk top and after playing around discovered the above.

Good luck with the update
Jack

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones