• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For the owners that didn't get earphones

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I am a USA owner of the HTC 10 that didn't get earphones like the rest of the world. I got my phone from Verizon. I recently saw on the HTC website that they are offering a $100 discount if you buy the phone from them or a $100 coupon towards accessories if you bought it someplace else. I didn't check the dates and filed out the form. It took a week or so, but I just got the $100 coupon in my email. So don't be timid. You deserve a gift for getting screwed out of the earphones to begin with. Also JBL just released a pair of earphones specifically for the "10". It uses the charging port and costs $200. But with the coupon it becomes more reasonable. It feels good getting a little back.;)

Reactions: chknhwk and mahers
No, the problem in the past, was finding earbuds that work with HTC phones. The wiring was different and very few earbud brands worked properly. The earbuds given were supposed to be decent. The $40 earbuds I purchased from HTC are actually very good. Combined with the "10's" setup applet, they sound great.
Huh!? are HTC headphones or earbuds proprietary or something? You can't just buy whatever headphones you like and plug them in? Like you can with Samsung, Oppo, Huawei, Lenovo, etc

Not even Apple pulls that stunt now!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about the "10" because the only earbuds I own are compatible now and when HTC phones were a problem. It had something to do with the wiring being reversed. I found an older pair of JBL and Motorola earbuds. The Moto's played music but didn't control the volume or switch between music and phone calls. It had a 3 stripe plug and the button just stopped the music. The JBL needed an adapter which had only 2 stripes. It played music but the button did nothing. I know that HTC phones use plugs with 3 stripes in order to have a chance to function properly. I do know that HTC just released earbuds specifically for the "10" made by JBL. It uses the charging port instead of the round port on top. So far you can only buy it from HTC for $199. I don't think that one will work with other phones, but I'm not sure. I hope this helped.

Upvote 0
I just checked and the page says they have exhausted their coupons. Here's the link:
http://www.htc.com/us/htc-accessories-offer/
I'm not sure what they're saying, but I would hurry over and see what happens.
If you go to the bottom of the page, the form is still there. HTC is not known for their organization and you never know. It couldn't hurt to fill it out.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Huh!? are HTC headphones or earbuds proprietary or something? You can't just buy whatever headphones you like and plug them in? Like you can with Samsung, Oppo, Huawei, Lenovo, etc

Not even Apple pulls that stunt now!

Just to make it extra clear - ALL Headphones with a standard 3.5mm headset connector work with the HTC 10.
You CAN just buy whatever headphones you like and plug them in, like you can with Samsung, Oppo, Huawei, Lenovo, etc.

Markdoc was speaking specifically about headphones (earbuds) with the in-line mic and in-line control buttons (example; vol up+, vol -, mute, answer call/hang up call, play/pause, long press google search). The functionality, of the special feature of in line buttons, is finicky with HTC devices/software and has been for years. (goes back further but this was the prior most post I could find)
Markdoc wanted the special feature of fully functioning mic or in-line buttons, so he was sticking with HTC branded/released headsets to ensure that they would fully function with HTC's Sense (OS skin)

The new JBL Reflect Aware C headphones Markdoc mentioned are new (spendy and never included in the phone's box) and utilize the USB Type C connector (charging port) instead of the "analog" 3.5mm headset jack. A number of different companies have started offering Type C connector headsets lately, new trend.
Type C connector increases data transfer and fidelity; read "digital", ALSO can handcuff media with enforced DRM.

Apple has been rumored for 6+ months that they would drop the 3.5mm headset jack and introduce a new Lightning connector headphones set (proprietary - I think still only Apple uses lightning at this date)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to make it extra clear - ALL Headphones with a standard 3.5mm headset connector work with the HTC 10.
You CAN just buy whatever headphones you like and plug them in, like you can with Samsung, Oppo, Huawei, Lenovo, etc.

Markdoc was speaking specifically about headphones (earbuds) with the in-line mic and in-line control buttons (example; vol up+, vol -, mute, answer call/hang up call, play/pause, long press google search). The functionality, of the special feature of in line buttons, is finicky with HTC devices/software and has been for years. (goes back further but this was the prior most post I could find)
Markdoc wanted the special feature of fully functioning mic or in-line buttons, so he was sticking with HTC branded/released headsets to ensure that they would fully function with HTC's Sense (OS skin)

The new JBL Reflect Aware C headphones Markdoc mentioned are new (spendy and never included in the phone's box) and utilize the USB Type C connector (charging port) instead of the "analog" 3.5mm headset jack. A number of different companies have started offering Type C connector headsets lately, new trend.
Type C connector increases data transfer and fidelity; read "digital", ALSO can handcuff media with enforced DRM.

Apple has been rumored for 6+ months that they would drop the 3.5mm headset jack and introduce a new Lightning connector headphones set (proprietary - I think still only Apple uses lightning at this date)

Thanks @PyroSporker for the good and detailed explanation.

Yeh, I can definitely see an aftermarket for third-party outboard USB type-C and Lightning port adapters or dongles with 3.5mm headphone jacks, probably from China, for anyone who wishes to still use their favourite analog headphones, amps, etc.

Enforced DRM, I've never had to deal with that myself.

Upvote 0
To AZgl1500
I hated them too. They never stayed in my ears and were uncomfortable. Then I read an article about earbuds and the author mentioned something called Comply earphone tips. They are foam ear cushions that take the place of the ones that came with the earbuds. They have different sizes, different types and a list to tell you what cushions fit your buds. They are fantastic and no, I don't have stock in the company and I paid full price. If you're interested, the site is http://www.complyfoam.com. Those cushions paired with $40 HTC earbuds, that wouldn't stay on before, and the "10" make great music.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Setting up an Audio profile is one of the things that really set the 10 apart from other phones. Definitely worth doing regardless of what brand of Headphones/Earbuds you're using.
I completely agree. It's really strange. In all the online reviews I've read they talk about the battery, the camera, the speakers, etc. Nobody talks about the earphone setup applet. IMO it's one of the best things about the "10". People stress the cameras that the phones have. But isn't sound important on a phone! Think about it, which makes more sense; I need a new phone, I hope it takes great photos or I need a new phone, it better sound good. And the "10" has the best audio of any phone I've heard. Thanks, dontpanicbobby, for bringing that up.

Upvote 0
To AZgl1500
I hated them too. They never stayed in my ears and were uncomfortable. Then I read an article about earbuds and the author mentioned something called Comply earphone tips. They are foam ear cushions that take the place of the ones that came with the earbuds. They have different sizes, different types and a list to tell you what cushions fit your buds. They are fantastic and no, I don't have stock in the company and I paid full price. If you're interested, the site is http://www.complyfoam.com. Those cushions paired with $40 HTC earbuds, that wouldn't stay on before, and the "10" make great music.

I'll second the suggestion for the Comply tips. I use them with my Jaybird bluetooth earbuds and they are infinitely more comfortable. You can get them on Amazon for about $15.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones