For those complaining about Evo build quality issues..

Last Updated:

1. berardi1111

berardi1111 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. kingevo

kingevo Member

lol i read this earlier when it posted and couldn't stop laughing..we evo members were BASHED on engadget for our screens raised just a tiny bit or having an extra flashlight in the dark lol but at least we dont have to pay 30 dollars just so our phone call would go through

3. berardi1111

oh dear the screen lighting is leaking, the horror!!!! There might be dust under my screen, oh boy...

vs

now the Jesus phone is dropping calls if you touch the wrong spot...

LMAO

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I just posted elsewhere what's coming .... Apple & ATT say "it's only some phones, not all", followed by both saying "it's only a display thing but doesn't affect performance", followed by both saying "it's their fault", followed by both saying "we have a fix," followed by legions of iP4 owners having yet another iPhone stuck on a network that cannot support it. This whole movie's been run before.

Bagua and ekt8750 like this.
  5. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

That's not good at all. After all, it is a phone and this needs to function with no issues whatsoever.

6. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

I cant believe that the one thing they touted as fixing the phone's reception issues is actually destroying it. I mean sure, if i had an iphone, it would have a case, but the iphone is very esthetically pleasing without the case and many people hate cases all together.

7. scott99

scott99 Active Member

I was horrified by the news also, since my choices are the new iPhone 4 and the HTC EVO. My contract with AT&T runs out in September, and I have an old iPhone 3G. Well it turns out, it may not be the iPhone 4 itself, but the recently released iOS4 (newest Operating System). Seems this issue is happening to owners of the 3G and 3Gs, after they download iOS4. There are several videos on youtube showing this, as well as a buddy of mine experiencing this after he downloaded iOS4 last night.

I'm not defending Apple or AT&T, after reading tons of info on the iPhone reception issue, it's pushing me closer to the EVO. I'm not a "fanboy" either, I love technology, especially technology that works the way it's supposed to. And though this must be cringeworthy for Apple, it seems like it MAY just be a software issue that can be fixed. Still is scaring me away from Apple/AT&T though. May just go with the EVO and use my old 3G as an iPod Touch.

8. Rigmaster

iP4 was never going to fix network connection issues. Time and time again, it's come out that ATT's network simply cannot handle the traffic and does not have the coverage/penetration ATT claims. iP4 was just an updated, more expensive way to experience what is already known.

And to be clear - I wouldn't want the Evo on ATT even if the plans cost the same. The network is a big problem.

9. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

The antenna thing is a gimmick, like I said before. Larger antenna is not going to do anything for you unless you supply power to it. You have to power the antenna to get good reception. That would suck battery life and increase your reception by very little.

10. scott99

scott99 Active Member

Once again, I have never owned another phone on AT&T other than iPhones. Though I believe the current issues splashed all over the internet today and yesterday may be software related, the iPhone itself has had reception issues for years, due to it's poor antenna. I've witnessed this myself, as my iPhone 3G dropped a call, while my sister's AT&T slider phone, in the same exact location, had great reception. So I can't really blame AT&T, my sister claims she's never had reception issue with her slider phone. I had a call dropped in my apartment the other night, and I always had good reception at home.

Regardless, no phone seems perfect, no network seems perfect, though I keep hearing that Verizon is as close to perfect as it comes to strong reception, great voice quality, etc.

11. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

no Droid X? :(

12. Rigmaster

I have owned non-iPs on ATT, and had several issues with dropped calls, failed connects, full bar but no connection, etc. It is the network. ATT admitted several times that it was behind making improvements, and even admitted that it chose to do HSPA over HSPA+ as an interim measure. Don't have to own an iP to know ATT did not maintain, upgrade/improve, or build out its network like others.

13. Twosted

Twosted Active Member

Here is a question I have tried to post in the comment section of the Gizmodo article. For some reason they aren't posting it.

Remember when Steve Jobs was having connection issues at the WWDC during the Iphone 4 demonstration? I wonder if this was the issue he was having. It would be interesting to review the video and see how he was holding his phone.

14. MDbandit

MDbandit Well-Known Member

interesting

15. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 4

Add to that list:

1) Speakerphone doesn't work
    2) Yellow blobs in corners
    3) Battery Life Complaints (though still better than EVO)
    4) Not Sending Emails
    5) Endless Reboot (sound familiar?)

etc etc. That's only the first few pages, and all new threads.

I'm not an Iphone fan but the moral of the story is that every phone has it's problems. I'll take my EVO over this any day. Phone hasn't even been out a week yet and that's a lot of problems. Granted as many new issues will come up as will get resolved.

EVO 4G FTW!!

16. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

The thing I find funny is all the iPhone owners we have in our EVO threads. I have never once went to or was tempted to visit an iPhone forum.

Guess the EVO is making a statement, along with plenty of Android phones coming to market.

nikkihp79 and berardi1111 like this.
  17. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

Reading the article, I love the workarounds on modifying a phone you just bought.

Sure we had to, but that was through software and monitering the system. Not actually applying nail polish and adding bands to get reception to make a call.

18. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

This changes everything!

Jobs and his coolaid dispensers will gladly sell you an iPhone that does not iWork...

So let's recap... This changes everything huh? A phone that can't stay connected to a call... An AT&T network that can't handle data, and a 2gb data cap that makes sure you can't really do what you want to do on it, assuming you can even get data to flow from AT&T...

So you can't make or receive calls, you better not stream video (video, YouTube, mlbtv, netflix) you better not stream radio (pandora ect..) or you are gonna pay through the nose in data overages....

Ya, I'd say this changes everything..... Changes everything back to the old bag phones of the 90's.....

I will keep my EVO and Sprint, thank you very much....

19. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member

Bingo.

20. berardi1111

Because all these people are huge Apple fanboys.. and their reader base largely is as well. To expose Apple, they'll be in trouble. Even this article I'm surprised they posted.

21. Rigmaster

Are the phone and wifi antennae both on the left side? I think the phone signal issue is different than Jobs with wifi at WWDC.

22. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

People that own glass phones should not throw stones...:D

23. berardi1111

lol

24. augi69

augi69 Member

Steve Job's confirms it’s a hardware issue and tells all the apple fanboys what they can do in a response to a techcrunch email:

“C.K. Sample emailed Jobs earlier this afternoon about the issue. A few hours later, Jobs responded with the following:
    Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.”

Allow me to translate, those you are having problems can go pound sand (hold it a different way) or buy my expensive ($29) accessory

WOW. The arrogance but the apple zombies still follow as seen here:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/06/25/apples-callous-response-to-iphone-4-defect-matched-only-by-its-fanboys-blind-dedication/

25. augi69

augi69 Member

Steve Job's confirms it