For those having issues of email pics going to your gallery!Support

Last Updated:

1. satoups

satoups Member

For the ones that receive emails with pictures and find out that the picture ends up in your gallery, there is no solution according to ATT. Any picture or email boarder that I received through email, it automatically sends a picture into my gallery. So anytime I received a pic through email, I had to go to my gallery and delete it. Another example is when I bought beautiful widgets and downloaded it, every scene, skin and picture was placed into my gallery. I had over 300 pictures in there from beautiful widgets alone.

Anyway, I called ATT and they acknowledged that they heard of this but HTC has no complaints about it. In turn they are sending me a new phone. Mine was only 1 week old. They even call HTC for me to see if there was a patch or something, but then again, HTC never heard of this issue.

Oh well, getting a new phone again....just wanted to let a few of you guys know because I know some of you are having the same issue. They advised it was a defect....

Advertisement
  2. naviwilliams

naviwilliams Well-Known Member

...so that's why I have all those photos in my gallery! Most annoying.
  3. satoups

satoups Member

Well like they said, there is no patch or solution for this issue. That is not suppose to happen that way. It is a defect in some of our OS. I just hope my new phone does not do the same thing.
    Can you return your phone are is it to late for you?
  4. naviwilliams

I received my new Inspire yesterday and just tested this. I had my Mrs email me a photo, and I saved it. It's saved to the 'all downloads' section.

On the Inspire I had upon release day, I had all the icons for applications and items downloaded in the Gallery. Albeit, I don't recall the EXACT folder it was in.

So, maybe after all this issue has disappeared, unless I'm missing something here.
  5. KBent

KBent Well-Known Member

I got an E-mail with pictures in it yesterday. Could not figure out how to save the pictures. I didn't know they went right into the gallery. I just checked and sure enough they are there. Sweet!!!! I guess this isn't so good if I don't want to save them though.
  6. satoups

satoups Member

If your Mrs sends you a email with a picture, and you DON'T SAVE IT, you simply open the attachment to view the pic then close it. Does that picture go to your gallery? It should not, unless you save it.
  7. Czarcat

Czarcat Well-Known Member

The attachments automatically get saved to the download directory on the sdcard. The gallery app scans all directories for media files and catalogs any it finds.

You can tell the gallery app not to scan any directory you choose by creating a file called .nomedia in the directory. This will prevent the gallery app from cataloging any files stored there.
    Frisco likes this.
  8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Nice point, czarcat. ^^
  9. naviwilliams

Tested, and still the said image is NOT in my Gallery.

Now, let me ask this. The images I've received have been embedded in an email, and not truly attached (like you would a Word, or excel document), would that make a difference?

So, I receive the email, and then I preview the image...

10. naviwilliams

...weird! I just restarted my device, just because. And now ALL the images are in there, multiple folders!?! Most annoying.
  11. naviwilliams

I'm going to try IO File Manager, to see if I can use it to omit certain directories from doing a scan...
  12. wraithevolution

wraithevolution Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just read this thread. Have any of you tried the app QuickPic? It's a gallery replacement that I feel is far superior to the phone's gallery. The nicest thing about it is that you can EXCLUDE folders! Several of my games and apps have additional pics they store. So now I don't see them but my apps still work fine. Hope that helps you a little. :D
  13. satoups

satoups Member

Ok, I placed this new file .nomedia in the cache folder and it worked. I simply traced back one of the cache pictures and dropped the file in there. Now I can not figure what folder to drop the file in to stop scanning my email pictures? Anyone can advise? I am not rooted. I located the email pics in the Download folder but when I dropped the file in there it continued to place a picture in there from my gallery through a email.
    Anyone knows what file to drop .nomedia into to stop scanning my emails?

14. wraithevolution

wraithevolution Well-Known Member

Dude, seriously. Quickpic. Even if it couldn't exlcude folders, it's far superior to the stock gallery. And it does exclude folders you choose.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder&feature=search_result
    Czarcat likes this.
  15. satoups

satoups Member

Ok, I will give it a look see....
  16. LittleAnt

LittleAnt Well-Known Member

i also believe that any directory that starts with a period (.) does NOT get scanned by the phone....
  17. KenG10

KenG10 Well-Known Member

Sounds logical. The (.) at the beginning of a file or folder in linux means the object is hidden.
  18. tgrtym

tgrtym Member

Hi everyone.. I'm glad I am not alone in this problem but I am not that tech savy and need a play by play on what to do to get rid of all these pics...how do you make a folder (blush)... I am downloading quick pic as well