• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those in 4G areas: Do you leave 4G always on?

Do you leave 4G always enabled?

• Yes, I set it and forget it

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • No, I toggle it on and off according to circumstance

Votes: 48 81.4%

• Total voters
Living in the suburbs of Chicago, we have 4G in the area, but only outside of everywhere that I am inside. So no, I have 4G turned off because why do I want to stand in the middle of the street or drive down a highway using the 4G. There is no point.
Note: there are a few rare cases where the 4G works in a place such as a restaurant.

Upvote 0
agreed with Sagedil, live in RTP area and 4G is very spotty, doesn't work inside any buildings I've been in it seems (house, work, supermarkets, etc). Have never seen 6Mbps when connected either.
Its kind of a let down to live in a 4G area and not get the damn service inside anywhere (+ paying extra $10 for it, yes I know about cap removal)

So, it stays off to avoid the dreaded 4G scanning....

Upvote 0
So if they put up more hardware it'll go indoors?

Not necessarily. Basically, the 2500Mhz spectrum has shorter wavelength, thus it can stopped by objects more than longer wavelength spectrum. To some degree, distance from source matters. More towers just means less distance.

Similar to sound waves when a car with loud music approaches, you can hear the booming low end frequency before you see the car. It's not until the car gets reasonably close that you hear the mid-range and high-end frquencies. Inside the car, the sensation may seem a little different with your ears being more sensitive to the mid- and high-frencencies because a certain portion of the low-end escapes the car due to it's shear length. It's an oversimplification, but approximates what happens with cell transmission.

Also similarly if the car windows are closed, you may never hear the mid- or high-end frequencies, but you will still hear the low-end. Wimax's shortcoming is that it's doesn't have the length to deeply penetrate buildings and obstacles.

Upvote 0
I said I leave it on all of the time, though it is really about 90% of the time. Battery life has never been much of an issue for me and I'm in great 4g coverage, so I figure I might as well take advantage of it. It sure beats opening YouTube, then realizing you can use 4g, going back and hitting the toggle, then going back in to YouTube. If I have 4g coverage, I get it, if not, then I don't. Much easier that way.

Upvote 0
I toggle it when I'm using the hotspot/wifi tethering app. I recently moved and can say the data speeds are much better now, even inside my house with 1 bar I have seen near 4mb down. I tethered to a mac mini, while sitting the evo in the window sill (2 bars of 4g) and did a speed test that went to 5.3mb. That is the fastest I've seen, and it is repeatable as I've tested it over the past week since moving in, pretty happy with that sort of speed. However since it eats the battery up I won't be using it for home internet when cable 15mb down is avail for 35/mo here in KC.

I probably won't leave the 4g radio on full time even if the coverage was 3 bars all the time, simply don't use data enough vs battery life of running two radios. I use it when I need it, turn it off otherwise, it's to easy with the Android OS to have an icon to push and a few seconds to start up to use it otherwise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones