For those mad about the Nexus One price

Last Updated:

1. prowler63

prowler63 Member This Topic's Starter

For those B**ing about the cost of the nexus one take a look at this link.

http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/billshrink_google_nexus_one_price_comparison.jpg

It shows that The nexus one saves you $1300 over the lifespane of 2 years
    $1300!!!! THATS HUGE!!!!
    Just think about it, You can own almost 3 (unlocked) nexus ones for the price of 1 iphone (over 2 years).

Thats not even considering if you get the nexus one unlocked and pay the 59.99/mo (even more plus plan).

So now do you think the nexus one is priced to high?

Advertisement
  2. LADude

LADude Member

Who really keeps a phone for two years?

3. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member

old dudes like me do, plus my limit is 600 or less every two years.

4. XM_JDM

XM_JDM Well-Known Member

You think thats old, my dad still totes around his Motorola V600. ROFL.

5. LADude

LADude Member

I'm probably older than you.

However, I still have my old RAZR...I REALLY need a smart, er, superphone.

Why'd google have to make this so complicated? If it were a simple matter of going into TMO and upgrading, I would have done so already!

The more I look at this, the more they're screwing their existing customers. I've been with them ever since they entered the LA market, and get the loyalty plan.

6. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member

I won't lie, I'll be 39 in ten days.
    It's really not complicated. Buy the phone unlocked and put your SIM in.
    Or order with new 2 yr contract. If you're a current customer and eligible for upgrade then go that route.

Buying unlocked phones really is the way to go. I haven't been in a phone store in 8 years.

7. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

This "savings" is all based on hopping on TM's cheap plans. Who wants to be on TM?

8. protagonist

protagonist New Member

Anyone complaining about its unlocked price has obviously never bought a high end unlocked phone before! :) And that is a good thing, it shows that more and more people are being exposed to the idea of making an investment in a high end device that is free of carrier obligations.

9. mcc

mcc Member

I'm not complaining. I'm going to use mine on AT&T with no data or SMS plan, as I've been using my HTC Wizard for the last 3-1/2 years. $529 for a smartphone is much better than $xxx + $720 for a data plan that I don't need. AT&T needs to realize that some customers have access to WiFi wherever they are and have no use for cell data.

10. lionelhuts

lionelhuts Active Member

Price points are really based on an individual's situation.

If a person already owns another smartphone, then that cost has already been incurred. Therefore, it really isn't fair to say, for example, $530 (N1) versus $199 (iPhone 3GS) for people who already own a 3GS. I suppose one could always sell the iPhone.

Take my situation. I pay $70 per month for my iPhone 2G. I get unlimited Edge, unlimited texting, and more than enough minutes (my rollover minutes are actually expiring).

If I went to T-Mobile with the N1, I would be paying $60 per month. Granted, that would also get me 3G speeds, but I would also have to fork over $530 for the N1. That means it would cost me $530 to save just $10/month and upgrade to 3G? And since T-Mobile in my area is not great, I would get Edge anyway (check the T-Mobile map for the suburbs of Buffalo, NY). Therefore, it would take 53 months for me to break even and get service essentially equivalent to what I already have.

So while for some, it might be a great deal. But that doesn't mean the price isn't high for others.

11. freethinker

freethinker Member

Ive been with tmobile for 5yrs and I really have no complaints and I don't see myself going to any other company. With that said i'm one of those unluckies that have a family plan and spending $530 on a cell phone is completely out of the question.

I don't mind contracts because honestly i'm not going anywhere, so if a rep says you need to extend your contract two years, its usually not a big deal.

Like someone said before, most people who are fanatics about the newest cell phones won't keep their phone for 2 yrs, so the savings really doesn't matter for most.

Also a lot of people, like myself do not have that type of cash upfront, don't get me wrong, I think what google has done is a great idea, however it really sucks to be one of those people who have one option when it comes to purchasing.:(

PS- Did google say this is going to be the first of many phones like this?

12. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

The price isn't bad, for the UK when converted comes out to around