• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those of you having problems with your Incredible after 2.2

When you use GPS in the car and you're plugged into a charger, it doesn't charge fast enough so GPS drains your battery. If you're using GPS and a streaming service like Pandora, Froyo will drain your battery very quickly even if you're plugged into a charger.

THATS sucKS! Everyone has this same problem or its isolated?

thanks

Upvote 0
THATS sucKS! Everyone has this same problem or its isolated?

thanks

I didn't notice this but I also wasn't taking a big trip. My phone died at a concert, I got out of the concert, plugged my phone in to the charger, opened Google Maps, and Navigated to the freeway just without any problem and my battery was <3% when I plugged it in.

Upvote 0
The factory reset caused a few problems for me though I seem to be on the right path now.

After the FR and the *228, my phone would not register on the network for voice. Even though the update was deemed "successful" I had to call tech support and we manually updated my NAM settings to reflect my actual identity on the network. They could not get my data working (mobile network was stuck in starting mode) so I was referred to a local store for a DOA swap out since they had a phone set aside for me.

At my local store I was lucky to find a sales/tech there who wouldn't take DOA for an answer. After about 20 minutes of troubleshooting and a call to tier 2, he was able to resurrect my data service. His explanation was that the known issue with online activation for voice also hampers data activation and information needs to be manually entered for some customers. It looks like I'm one of them (and on a legacy Alltel plan, FWIW)

In the 10 or so test reboots since yesterday, perhaps twice I've had the reported issue with data not starting up as expected, but I was in a fringe signal area so that could be a contributing factor. It certainly isn't every other reboot as I've read about here.

The net/net is that you should be prepared for some other issues if you choose to perform the factory reset.

Upvote 0
The factory reset caused a few problems for me though I seem to be on the right path now.

After the FR and the *228, my phone would not register on the network for voice. Even though the update was deemed "successful" I had to call tech support and we manually updated my NAM settings to reflect my actual identity on the network. They could not get my data working (mobile network was stuck in starting mode) so I was referred to a local store for a DOA swap out since they had a phone set aside for me.

At my local store I was lucky to find a sales/tech there who wouldn't take DOA for an answer. After about 20 minutes of troubleshooting and a call to tier 2, he was able to resurrect my data service. His explanation was that the known issue with online activation for voice also hampers data activation and information needs to be manually entered for some customers. It looks like I'm one of them (and on a legacy Alltel plan, FWIW)

In the 10 or so test reboots since yesterday, perhaps twice I've had the reported issue with data not starting up as expected, but I was in a fringe signal area so that could be a contributing factor. It certainly isn't every other reboot as I've read about here.

The net/net is that you should be prepared for some other issues if you choose to perform the factory reset.

Hmm, this makes me not want to do a factory reset for the very small issue I have with the OTA. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
37 hrs up time
11 hrs awake time with seidio 1750 and at 30 % .i think phone is better with froyo .

Amazing. What's your secret? To be fair, I do have the stock battery. I'm told the Seidio 1750 is really only 1500 though. I managed 16-18 hours up-time with 2-3 hours awake time with 2.1. Haven't really done a fair comparison with 2.2 yet and haven't bothered with a bump charge since its the weekend. Only do the bump charge on week days since I don't bring my charger to work.

Upvote 0
I have the No3G issue also with power off. I can restore it with *228, but it's a PITA every time you want to switch the battery. Also legacy Alltell so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

2nd phone doing this. First one would not turn 3G on at all after OTA. DOA swap after the techs at VZW store played with it for an hour and a half.

Upvote 0
I did the RUU update and haven't had any issues with my Incredible. Not even a single FC since then. Everything runs very fast and I'm getting better battery life as well. I do have the stock battery with the extra USB cable at work, but I only plug it to my computer when I need to copy some files. It feels like I got a brand new Incredible with factory installed Froyo on it.

Upvote 0
JJ, Thanks for the tips, but as a smart-phone newby, I don't understand all of it. For instance, I don't know how to "have the save destination on your pictures set to go to SD Card." I'm also uncertain as to whether there are other things I need to do to make sure I keep all my apps. Also, will the information in them, e.g., my "to do list" be saved or lost?
I really need to do something, because my battery is dying around sunset, & it's scary walking around without a working phone! This is about a 25-30% drop, with GPS & wireless search off.
Thank you!!

Upvote 0
JJ, Thanks for the tips, but as a smart-phone newby, I don't understand all of it. For instance, I don't know how to "have the save destination on your pictures set to go to SD Card." I'm also uncertain as to whether there are other things I need to do to make sure I keep all my apps. Also, will the information in them, e.g., my "to do list" be saved or lost?
I really need to do something, because my battery is dying around sunset, & it's scary walking around without a working phone! This is about a 25-30% drop, with GPS & wireless search off.
Thank you!!

I'm not JJ nor smartphone expert, but I would try these..

To save photos to SD Card, open up Camera -> Settings -> Storage -> Select "Storage Card". You can also move/copy/delete files from phone/SD card to SD card/phone using file management apps like "Astro File Manager."

You will be losing all the information in your apps by doing the hard reset. You can sync your phone with AppBrain so that you will have a list of apps you need to reinstall after hard reset/update.

Reactions: gidgetm
Upvote 0
With 2.1 I could normally unplug it at 7am and not have to charge again until going to bed the following day. With 2.2 RUU I can barely make it 12 hours without getting down to critical battery levels.

The only lag I've noticed with mine is switching from portrait to landscape mode, and vice versa. It used to switch as soon as I had fully rotated it, now it takes 2-3 seconds before switching views.

Upvote 0
I read through a good number of these replies but have not seen anything that resembles what I am going through.

I got the 2.2 OTA update on September 3rd. Soon after getting I started experiencing sudden freezes/crashes while doing normal things like making a text message, answering my phone, or checking my mail.

So far my DInc has crashed while:
receiving a phone call (5+ times)
making phone calls (several times)
during phone calls (3x)
sending a text message (7+ times)
changing ringer options (once)
using google maps (4+ times)
changing wallpaper (3+ times)
using pandora (several times)
using K-9 Mail (several times)
checking weather (several times)
changing alarm clock settings (several times)

This frustration has forced me to downgrade back to 2.1. Under 2.1 I have not had my DInc crash on me once.

Used 2.1 for a day without any problems. Went to a few forums and decided to give 2.2 another try. Though this time I went and installed some recovery programs. This time I installed it over USB using the legit google/verizon update file. Seemed to be fine. Then I crashed while making a text message... was a little upset... then I crashed again while using the market place. ... So I said screw that and recovered a 2.1 backup.

So now im back to 2.1. Trying to figure out how to kill the 2.2 update notification. I think I'm going to stick with 2.1 indefinitely.

Upvote 0
I'm not having any of these problems either. Especially about battery life.

mailgooglecomk.jpg

Hasn't touched a charger since Sunday. Stock battery. I've yet to try out the extended one due to me not having a door for it.

Upvote 0
I read through a good number of these replies but have not seen anything that resembles what I am going through.

I got the 2.2 OTA update on September 3rd. Soon after getting I started experiencing sudden freezes/crashes while doing normal things like making a text message, answering my phone, or checking my mail.

during phone calls (3x)

This frustration has forced me to downgrade back to 2.1. Under 2.1 I have not had my DInc crash on me once.

Used 2.1 for a day without any problems. Went to a few forums and decided to give 2.2 another try. Though this time I went and installed some recovery programs. This time I installed it over USB using the legit google/verizon update file. Seemed to be fine. Then I crashed while making a text message... was a little upset... then I crashed again while using the market place. ... So I said screw that and recovered a 2.1 backup.

So now im back to 2.1. Trying to figure out how to kill the 2.2 update notification. I think I'm going to stick with 2.1 indefinitely.

Did u hard reset? I'm not having any of these problems.

Upvote 0
With 2.1 I could normally unplug it at 7am and not have to charge again until going to bed the following day. With 2.2 RUU I can barely make it 12 hours without getting down to critical battery levels.

The only lag I've noticed with mine is switching from portrait to landscape mode, and vice versa. It used to switch as soon as I had fully rotated it, now it takes 2-3 seconds before switching views.

this is really bugging me, well and poor battery life.

Upvote 0

during phone calls (3x)

From personal experience, and from reading what others have written on this forum and lots of others, the 2.2 upgrade is not causing any of these issues.

As I see it, there are only 2 possible causes for your particular problems:

1. The device is bad.

2. You are running an app that is not playing well with others.

This means that there are 5 possible solutions:

1. Document the problems, take the phone back to a VZW store and demand a new DINC.

2. Document the problems, take the phone back to VZW and demand a different phone.

3. Do a complete backup of your phone using something like MyBackup and then start deleting apps, making sure you reboot after each uninstall. If the problem goes away, then you know which app was causing it. Immediately post on this forum the name of the app, post a comment on the Android market about the problem and never run that app again.

4. Do a complete backup of your phone using something like MyBackup, and then start installing making sure you reboot after each uninstall. If the problem goes away, then you know which app was causing it. Immediately post on this forum the name of the app, post a comment on the Android market about the problem and never run that app again.

5. Document the problems, take the phone back to VZW, cancel your contract and go with a different network. Via con Dios.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones