For those thinking about a Hard Reset...HOW TO...Tips

Last Updated:

1. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For those of you thinking about hard resetting…the following is what I did. I would guesstimate that approx 90% of my previous settings had been restored.

Please read thru thread...I will try to post comments from others on this top post.

HTC Incredible

Backup and Wipe

1. Save your current scene environment.
    2. Download AppBrain (I already used it)
    a. Setup account (free) and sync with server. Update any apps that you wish to update.
    b. Remember which apps you decided not to update….make a list of them.
    3. Download myBackup Pro. (free trial…you do not have to purchase) ****(At least 1 person has identified a bug that forced the user to do another hard reset. See post #3. I mainly used MyBackup Pro to restore system settings. Astro FIle Manager can also backup apps...but I do not believe it retains settings within apps.)
    4. Run MyBackup Pro and backup your apps and data to your SD card.
    a. I did three backups:
    i. Apps
    ii. All Data
    iii. Only specific data items. (I was unsure if I would be forced to restore the entire dataset later on; so I made both options available to me. I chose to only to limited data. (e.g. I restored my contacts from Gmail when I added the account)
    5. Go thru individual apps that you may think would have a feature that allows you to backup anything to the SD card. Like Agenda Widget backs up settings…as well as the Profile App.
    6. Plug your phone into your computer and locate your SD card in “My Computer”
    a. Copy entire contents to your computer as a backup
    b. A hard reset will not erase data on your SD card…but I like to be safe rather than sorry.
    7. I made a note of what widgets I had on which screens, just in case something didn’t work right.
    8. Perform Hard Reset
    a. This may vary depending on 2.1 or 2.2.
    i. In 2.1 I believe it was in Menu, Settings, Privacy
    ii. In 2.2 its in Menu, Settings, SD Card, FACTORY RESET

Restore

1. Run thru setup screens.
    2. Add Google account and allow it to sync whatever it was it used to sync.
    3. Go to market and download AppBrain
    a. Sync with server and AppBrain will tell you what you have that needs to be installed.
    i. This is where preparation comes in handy. Only re-download the apps that you don’t mind having the most up to date versions. If you know that you like a legacy version of one of your apps, then cancel the install for that app when prompted. You will be able to restore it from myBackup Pro.
    4. Go to myBackup Pro
    a. Restore any apps that still need to be downloaded.
    b. Restore data.
    c. Go to your programs that you know you manually backed up settings and restore them from within the app.
    5. Done*
    a. Well almost done. What you do next will vary by individual. For me I had to restore my home screen wallpaper, replace a couple of widgets that didn’t load properly.
    b. Some programs still required me to manually update the settings. (e.g. Handcent)
    c. Some phone settings still had to be changed manually from factory positions.

The above steps get you pretty darn close to a full restore. I simply changed any settings that had to be changed as I noticed them to be different. For those of you who do not or do not wish to use AppBrain you can simply restore all of your apps from the backup, but I believe that causes some sort of mismatch with the Market. In other words…when you go into Market and filter on downloads, none of your apps will be there since they were manually installed. I am not sure if this would prevent the Market from identifying you as an app owner and notifying you of an update. Maybe someone else can weigh in.
    Please feel free to alter/copy/add more to this set of instructions. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of doing a factory reset. I am fairly OCD about things like this…and I am happy with my result.

Advertisement
    aprillh, XXXdc5, Teris and 2 others like this.
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Gonna move this to tips/tricks

3. DGRYAN1977

DGRYAN1977 Well-Known Member

Everyone please be aware. Using Mybackup crashed my phone leading to me having to do ANOTHER hard reset. Do NOT use Mybackup for contacts or APPs. This will cause your system to crash.
    Use Mybackup only to back up your settings and Scenes.

4. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the input. I noted it in the original instructions.

5. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

i used mybackup pro without issue before

6. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Mybackup pro works great, but if you backup apps and restore you will not get updates. They will not show as downloaded in the market.

7. mrmangos02

mrmangos02 Member

just a side note, factory reset = pain in the @ss but works great.

8. DGRYAN1977

DGRYAN1977 Well-Known Member

When I restored all my apps from Mybackup I kept getting constantly pop ups saying "Google process" has crashed an another saying "framework google something has stopped working".
    I called Verizon and the kid told me its the way mybackup restores the apps.
    Normally I wouldnt believe a word they say but the kid seemed knowledgeable and even discussed rooting the incredible etc...

So this is just my experience with using it. May not happen to everyone. May have just been a specific program that I restored that way. Either way, I say still proceed with caution.

I also want to add that for the first few days after my restore the phone worked like a champ. Now it is returning to its glitchy post 2.2 self.
    I am really starting to believe its Handcent causing my issues.

9. zeke88

zeke88 Well-Known Member

Titanium Backup...problem solved.

10. Cole Trickle

Cole Trickle Member

Been waiting for someone to post this as an excuse to put off a hard reset. My battery life blows right now an I am a very, very heavy user. Will give this a shot this morning.

11. XXXdc5

XXXdc5 Well-Known Member

Great guide. I'm sure this will come in handy very soon

12. XXXdc5

XXXdc5 Well-Known Member

Took a little while but I finally ended up using this and its weird but i guess i didnt need it rooting for the first time. GUESS I MISSED THAT PART. lol