For those who bought droid in November!

Last Updated:

1. jsalimao

jsalimao Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am sure there are some people here who, like me, bought the droid last November and signed a 2 year contract. Has anyone been able to get the date moved up and get the Droid X?

My contract end date is November 2011 and my upgrade date shows as being in late 2011 as well. I thought even when you signed a 2 year contract that you could updgrade every year? Is this not the case?

Joe

Advertisement
  2. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

You can upgrade every year. You just do not get the extra new every two $100 off.

3. jsalimao

Should myVerizon show this? It shows next year.

4. gwlaw99

It shows your new every two upgrade. Just call verizon after 11 months and see if they will upgrade.

5. jsalimao

So you are not officially allowed to upgrade every year then? You are saying that I need to call them and see if they will do it for me.

Anyone hear who was able to get the x who bought the droid?

6. gwlaw99

You can officially upgrade every year. I said call beccause sometimes they will upgrade at 11 months.

7. dzien

dzien Member

100% false if you are referring to paying less than retail. If you are referring to paying retail, you can upgrade whenever you want.

I attempted to upgrade 7 days early at a Verizon wireless corporate store and they said no dice. I called, no dice. This was 7 days early for a 2 year contract. Maybe if you pitch a fit someone will help you, but look at my return woes thread to see how much wrongdoing needs to be done before you are compensated ( i am still not at that point obviously)

In a 2 year contract, you may upgrade for the reduced price and contract extension 20 months in. That is, you can do it 4 months before the contract ends. This is your NE2 date - the 20 month period.

You do not get a discounted phone 1 year in. It wouldn't make sense to keep allowing customers to extend a contract by 2 years when they still have 1 year to go... In fact, they need you to pay so many months to offset the cost of the phone and make more profit than they would off just the monthly bill ( which they cannot do until the retail value of the phone is taken away from your monthly, looking at it like they would).

So sorry, no you cannot get a droid x for 199 if your NE2 date isn't until nov 2011.

8. jsalimao

Are there any verizon employees on here who can confirm this? I hear conflicting things from everyone I talk to.

9. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

You can but you have to use this, from Verizon

What do I have to do to get a new phone with Annual Upgrade?
    You must be registered for My Verizon, be on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher and have completed at least 1 year of a 2-year contract and agree to renew for an additional 2 years in order to get a new phone at a promotional price. It

10. dzien

dzien Member

That's weird. I was told no on two separate occassions, in store and from a t1 csr's floor supervisor. Then again, it doesn't surprise me that verizon employees arent aware of verizon's business practices.

Now, let me bring up this point. What's the purpose of the ' able to get a smartphone at upgrade price if your contract ends before the year' promotion if you can always upgrade one year early? :p

11. syx

syx Active Member

I am only 1 year in and I just upgraded to X for $199.
    They charged me $20 for an "early" upgrade fee.

12. gwlaw99

Because you get the extra $100 new every two discount which makes it $100 after rebate.