• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root For those who still have Handcent issues on 2.2

SacNutz

Dec 28, 2009
I've looked around but never found any definitive answers. I finally got mine to work. I don't know what part of these steps did it for me, but this is exactly what I did and now I have no time-stamp issues on 2.2 (which was the only reason I didn't like 2.2)

Wiped data 3 times
Flashed SBF
Did not sign into any accounts including Google
Installed Universalandroot and rooted
Installed bootstrapper
Moved su to xbin to keep root
Wiped data 3 times
Flashed 2.2 older version
Again did not sign into Google or any other accounts
Installed bootstrapper
Flashed newest version of 2.2
Installed Handcent manually. I didn't put it on with TiBu or let Google try to reinstall all my apps (which hasn't really been working for me lately anyways)

After that I was good to go. I haven't had ANY of the 2.2 bugs. The only thing I've noticed is when I put themes or ROMS on my X, the timestamp bug comes back. So make sure you do a backup of the fully stock setup just in case something you install screws it up. By the way I've only tried one theme so this might not be true for all of them. Good luck.

Timestamp and MMS issues were fixed with a Handcent release several weeks ago. I know because I had all the issues, and when I updated Handcent, they all went away. At least for me... :D

Mine went away too, but then I started installing themes and the issue came back. I just made the date and time transparent so I don't see them. I see the time I got the message on my LPP widget. I would much rather have themes than a working timestamp, even though I dont know why I can't have both.

Upvote 0
I guess I just suck at life then. This was my third attempt at flashing 2.2, and I just got my handcent to work. I heard they updated it and fixed the problem but it wasn't working for me. I guess I'm just weird, having the times on my texts wrong just irritated me and I had to have it fixed. Maybe I will do further investigation to the cause because I would really like to put a theme on my X.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones