For those with GoogleVoice: Sending SMS

Last Updated:

1. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Just got my Droid yesterday and I have Google Voice as well. I set up the GV application and everything seems to work great, although I cannot send SMS messages using the "Messenger" application that came with the phone. When I send a message, my number shows up as my phone's number, not my GV number. I have to use the GV application instead.

Outgoing calls are fine and I see a popup that says "Calling with GoogleVoice", but nothing with SMS. Should I be able to use the Messenger application, or do I have to use the GV app? I've tried searching in here and on the Google forums, but I can't seem to get a clear answer or how I can fix this.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

have to use the GV App

3. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

4. craighwk

Thanks. Was beginning to think that was the case, but I did see a few posts out there that lead me to believe it was possible to send from the native application. Oh well. Hopefully they will add that feature down the road.

5. nbttbn

nbttbn New Member

You can also use the contacts application to send a text through google voice.

6. siuc1996

siuc1996 Active Member

Actually, you can use the normal Messanger for SMS with Google Voice. Every contact you SMS with gets assigned it's own #. Usually starts with 406. Just assign this number to your contact and send your SMS to that number and it works perfectly. You will need to have your contacts send a text to your Google Voice # and then you will see what number is assigned to them. Hope that was as clear as mud.

7. craighwk

Weird. Just as you posted this, I got a text message from a friend and I was thinking to myself, what the heck is area code 406?? Hmmmm.. I will have to play with that. Thanks a lot!

8. siuc1996

siuc1996 Active Member

Cool. I had to assign it to MMS because I couldn't find an "Other" to use. It would be nice if they had one for Google Voice # but maybe that is something we will see in the future. Good luck.

9. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

You can definitely send via the native SMS app. I use craigslist a lot, and I put my GV number on the ad when I'm trying to sell something, so when I get a response, I've set it to only notify me in the native SMS, and there I can respond with the GV number.

10. craighwk

Ugh, as soon as I was comfortable thinking there wasn't a way (without the methods described earlier in this thread), here comes a response that gets my interest again.

Where are these settings for SMS on the GoogeVoice app? I don't see anything, anywhere in the settings that tell me if SMS should go to GV App or the Native app.

11. zandroid

I'll PM you, check it in a bit.

12. craighwk

Much appreciated :)

13. Tymanthius

Tymanthius Well-Known Member

is it a secret? share so we can all use it plz?

14. zandroid

Haha it's not a secret, I just don't know if what I sent will help him or not. It's just settings inside our google voice account, and settings inside the gv app on the phone and the native sms app.

basically all my notifications are off expect the SMS, so when someone texts my GV number, I can reply inside the SMS app with that number

15. xtremely4

xtremely4 Member

Makes me wish I would've setup my google voice with an assigned google number instead of using my own...:(

16. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

The key to using SMS is simple. You can use it for replies. It changes the From to be your GV number and archives it for web review.

The message you are replying to has to sent to your GV #.

17. craighwk

Yah you're right. I've figured out that you cannot send a direct SMS in the Messenger App unless you've saved the special number you receive when someone SMSs you first. Just typing in someone's number into the Messenger App does not work with GV. Even then you still need to go into your Contacts app to select the saved SMS number, otherwise it only allows you (I think) to send to the persons mobile number.

Would really love to see the GV app more integrated into the system. Have it work completely behind the scenes with voice AND SMS. Maybe one day it will.

Thanks for all the help here.