• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those wondering about the $20 data discount and upgrading....

I just upgraded my husband's phone on our family plan. We are getting the $20 data discount and unlimited data on all 4 lines. My husband was using a flip phone, but we had to have the same data plan on all lines to get the discount, and it was still a big savings for us. Anyway, we upgraded his phone to a Rezound to take advantage of the data plan. Five days later I see my bill online and it has removed his discount and unlimited data and is now charging him $29 for 4 gb. I went to call them to complain, but it was after 11:00 p.m. I will be calling them first thing in the morning. The other three lines are all out of contract, too, and if we lose our discount and unlimited data, there's no reason to stay with Verizon.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded my husband's phone on our family plan. We are getting the $20 data discount and unlimited data on all 4 lines. My husband was using a flip phone, but we had to have the same data plan on all lines to get the discount, and it was still a big savings for us. Anyway, we upgraded his phone to a Rezound to take advantage of the data plan. Five days later I see my bill online and it has removed his discount and unlimited data and is now charging him $29 for 4 gb. I went to call them to complain, but it was after 11:00 p.m. I will be calling them first thing in the morning. The other three lines are all out of contract, too, and if we lose our discount and unlimited data, there's no reason to stay with Verizon.

Interested in how this turns out. Good luck and please let us know.

Upvote 0
According to the rep, when Best Buy activated the phone, she chose a new plan which overrode the existing one on that line. The VZW rep had to submit a form asking them to make the unlimited plan available again, which could take up to a week. Then he will go to the loyalty department to have the $20 data discount reapplied. I will let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0
According to the rep, when Best Buy activated the phone, she chose a new plan which overrode the existing one on that line. The VZW rep had to submit a form asking them to make the unlimited plan available again, which could take up to a week. Then he will go to the loyalty department to have the $20 data discount reapplied. I will let you know how it goes.

Oh boy. Good luck. From experience I think you are going to have to hound them.

Upvote 0
Well, I got my unlimited data back on the upgraded phone line. Apparently, even though I was on the promo and had to have data on all the lines, the code for the basic phone was different than the smart phones. When we upgraded to a smart phone, it added a new code and dropped the old code and promo. As of yesterday, since the unlimited data was back on the line, they then submitted a request to the group that approves expired products to reinstate the $20 Talk Text plus Data promo and included a history showing it had been on all the lines and was only missing from this one now. I should know within a week.

Upvote 0
Well, I got my unlimited data back on the upgraded phone line. Apparently, even though I was on the promo and had to have data on all the lines, the code for the basic phone was different than the smart phones. When we upgraded to a smart phone, it added a new code and dropped the old code and promo. As of yesterday, since the unlimited data was back on the line, they then submitted a request to the group that approves expired products to reinstate the $20 Talk Text plus Data promo and included a history showing it had been on all the lines and was only missing from this one now. I should know within a week.

good luck!

Reactions: lockdoc
Upvote 0
I got a call today from Ursula at VZW. She actually called me back when she said she would! Anyway, she wanted to let me know that the "outside team" reinstated my $20 Talk Text plus Data promo on May 4th. She said that if they didn't make it retroactive to April 19th when the bill comes, call and ask for a $20 credit. So, I'm really happy now, and I know that when I upgrade our other three lines, I will call VZW to have them do it, not Best Buy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones