? for Verizon Guru'sGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Nsane1

Nsane1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, here's the situation. My Secondary line (my wife's line) is up for an upgrade so this is the line I will be buying the Incredible on. But here's my problem. On my line (Primary) I have the Env Touch with an old contract of having the Connect Plan... No data plan as you didn't have to have one when I bought this phone.

So, I'm wanting to pre-order the Incredible so I don't have to wait on the mail-in rebate and pay 300 instead of 200. How much of a hassle is it going to be for me to get the Incredible, have to activate it on her line, then switch it to my line, then switch the Env Touch to her line all while adding the 30 dollar data package to my line and a 10 dollar data to her line and totally changing our plans?

If I'm correct I have to order and activate the phone on her line. Thus making me have to get the 30 dollar data package on her line and the 10 dollar one on mine. So, when I get the Incredible I'll have to switch the data packages between the two lines back around. Is this going to be as complicated to do as it is to sort out in your head?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

From what I understand, you don;t even have to activate it on her line. You can do the initial activation right to your line, deactivating the EnV. Then just activate the EnV onto her line. Done. If this is incorrect, someone please chime in.

3. pkmn760

pkmn760 Well-Known Member

Just call them and have them walk you through it (and change stuff which on the phone). You can finish in less than 15 min

4. guyheavensent

guyheavensent Well-Known Member

Have to activate it on the line you are upgrading so it can update your account and renews your contract.

As for the other stuff... tldr...on the go

5. odiej34

odiej34 Well-Known Member

No, you are correct. Just call verizon when you activate and tell them you want to activate on another #. I think they call it the buddy plan or something like that. I have done this several times. I just did it on my daughters line with the droid, but took it back to get the incredible.

6. droideris

droideris Well-Known Member

Yeah, Verizon customer support is awesome. Just call 611 and you'll be set up.

7. heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn Well-Known Member

This is almost the exact same situation that I have, and they will make you get rid of the Connect Plan and get $9.99 for every other line you have with a phone that requires the data now. Also, instead of having the unlimited data of the connect plan, those lines will now have the 25MB limit. I am taking care of my order in store so I can confirm they do it right.

8. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

The $29.99 data plan is unlimited, not 25mb. Its the minumum data plan you can get with a smartphone from verizon.

9. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

But yeah call customer service and they'll take care of everything. It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to get it all setup and they'll do it with a smile.

10. heyeaglefn

heyeaglefn Well-Known Member

I meant it sounds like he has a line that won't have the data plan that is unlimited anymore, unless he wants his plan to go up by $30 then he will need to do the $9.99 25mb.

I don't know why anyone would have an Env Touch with the unlimited data plan, just get a smart phone.

11. Nsane1

Nsane1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright, got off the phone with a verizon person. And your right verizon customer service is pretty awesome as I need them on speed dial as much as I have called them over the last few years.

Anyways, heyeaglefn, I was in the same boat as you. I was just going to purchase in store to not have to deal with all the hassles. But, the more I got to thinking about it the less I wanted to give them another 100 bucks just to deal with a problem that I probably could. *yes, I know you get it back, but it usually take a month or two*

So, after talking to the tech, everything you all have been posting while I was on the phone is correct. Sorry, I'm antsy and couldn't wait. haha. Anyways, the guy told me that I just need to call in on the Incredible and accept the Terms of Service. Then it will ask if I want to activate the phone and this is where you say NO. Then like you all said, you just simply call Verizon and they will set up everything the way it should be from there. He said it's very simple and they do it all the time. Also, I knew that I would have to get the 10 dollar package for the env touch now and I knew it was a 25mb cap. What a crock.

Anyways, thanks for the speedy response guys and hope this clears up things for others in my position. I'm used to most other boards with not near the amount of members and amount of knowledgeable members responding so quickly. A huge thanks for that.... All that and not one "Use the Search" post. haha

Anyways, I'll tell you the story of why I was so scared to do it myself. If your just bored, read on, if not, it's not important and very lengthy.

So, I've transferred phones through verizon's site probably 50 or so times. Never having to adjust the plans though. One time while transferring phones around I somehow had one phone (the new phone I was activating) that would receive calls, but wouldn't dial out. The phone I was deactivating would call out and get on the web. But the incoming calls went to the other phone. Yes, I had two phones somehow operating on the same number.

See, I had gotten a new phone and was activating it to (my) primary line. I was going to give the phone I had been using to my wife, the secondary line. Problem was after I got the new phone activated on my line when I went to activate my old phone on her line it said that the esn was in use and could not be used on that line. The other phone I had was the secondary line and that is how I was talking to Verizon. After about 3 hours of talking to Verizon's tech support. (BTW, they have LEVEL 3 tech supporters....) They had never experienced this either. So, in the last ditch effort the tech told me he had it all straightened out and he was going to activate the one phone on the secondary line, and the new phone on the primary. He said, this should be working now. Try activating the new phone.

Now, I'm talking to him on the secondary line. I was activating the new phone on "supposedly" the Primary line. After I went through the *228 programming my call on the secondary line dropped. I almost freaked. Yep, all three of the phones no longer worked and I don't have a land line. Also, it just so happened that the Verizon tech I was talking to was kinda on overtime helping me as they go home at a certain time. So calling back to them went straight to their voicemail message stating their working hours. So, after being super mad and cursing Verizon for not using sim cards for a while I decided just to get back on Verizon's site and try activating one of them again. For some reason, I don't know what combination made it work or what exactly happened, (maybe all the phones being deactivated did it) it finally worked.
    Now, maybe you can see why I am a little scared of doing things this way ever again.