1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Force App at Startup

Last Updated:

1. ergalthema

ergalthema Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any way to get an app to run at startup?

There is a volume control app (ladybug icon) that I use to keep my ringer volume always at vibrate. When I accidentally hit the volume rocker, the app returns the ringer to vibrate. However, I must remember to run the app when I restart the Droid. So, is there anyway to have it run when the Droid powers on? Or is that something that would have to involve rooting?

I'm not thrilled that I have to have that app always running just to lock the ringer setting, but I haven't noticed it affecting the Droid's performance.

Advertisement
  2. BottledHate

BottledHate Well-Known Member

you could use 'locale' with the 'app launcher' plugin. locale is free... the plugin is 99cents... well worth it! locale is the most used app i have!

edit: you could also set your phones volume settings through it without using your other program.

3. pinesal

pinesal Well-Known Member

You will need Locale and the plugin mentioned above to do what you are trying to do.

4. ergalthema

Thanks so much for the help!

So, I set the conditions to "Time 12am-11:59pm every day" and setting s to "Volume Ringer silent vibrate".

That should take care of my issue right?

I'm not sure how you meant that "app launcher" app would work - but it looks like I don't need to worry about it.
    (I couldn't find "app launcher" - is it "aLauncher"?)

5. ergalthema

Well, looks like that doesn't work. When I hit the volume rocker, the ringer volume changes, and doesn't revert back to vibrate.

Also, I set the default in Locale to "Volume, Ringer vibrate", but when I hit the rocker the ringer comes on and stays on.

6. BottledHate

maybe if you set it as a default setting.... sorry... the plugin for locale is called 'shortcut'... you could set it to launch your app as a default setting.

7. ergalthema

OK, thanks.

You just missed my edit on my post, that I also tried setting that as default.

Don't you think that Locale should force the phone to stay on the default volume setting?

That "shortcut" program sounds like it will be a good workaround though. Thanks again!

8. BottledHate

i'm not sure how persistent locale is with its settings, i haven't played around with that aspect... sorry if i pointed you the wrong way... locale is a great app for many other things... and i think if you spent the 99 cents on the shortcut plugin you would find many more uses for it.. good luck!

9. ergalthema

Oh no no, it looks like it works to use the shortcut plugin to default the volume app!

I was just saying it seems like Locale should force the volume to stay wherever it is set in the default.

10. ergalthema

It has been working well.

The only thing is that when I get a call, the "Volume Control" app now pops up in front of the info about the call and the buttons to answer. Pretty annoying. I just tried a reset, but I have a feeling it's a bug.