Force Close Error?General

1. avenable

avenable Member

I keep getting this message, "The process com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." followed by a box to 'force close.'

I seem to remember it wanted to update about a week ago, so I hit ok and then the update failed. It has not asked to try and update again since then....
    The phone will display this message upon start up and also will occur at other seemingly random times.

The phone works fine after pressing force close but does anyone know how to stop this annoyance?

Advertisement
  2. boboy2003

boboy2003 New Member

I'm getting the same error alerts when I used My Location/GPS. Anyone else getting the same problem after the update?
  3. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the error message, but you should be able to find the update in Setting>About phone>System updates. It should be waiting for you there. If that doesn't fix the error and you can't live with the issue, sounds like you need to try a factory reset (backup first!). You could call tech support, but they'll have you do a reset anyways, so may as well get it out of the way before you call.
  4. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

I'm getting the error as well. It's getting pretty annoying, I rarely had problems prior to this latest update. I wonder too if it has something to do with the GPS locator. I was definitely getting force close problems with the weather widget, which uses GPS location.
  5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

are you guys running any task killing, managing, apps?
  6. Papadroid

Yes, I've been using Advanced Task Killer Free since day one. But I started having problems after the lastest update.
  7. avenable

avenable Member

I was also using adv task killer, problem did not start until after update. I have removed it and use adv task manager now instead but made no difference.

I too suspect the weather widget, it frequently failed to load and after removing it from home screen I get the error less often but it still pops up 1-2 a day.
  8. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

just wondering if anyone has resolved this problem. I'm still getting this error message about com.htc.provider
  9. avenable

avenable Member

I still get it once or twice a day... never did figure it out. I just gave up on it, only a minor nuisance. But if you figure it out please do let me know,
  10. JrzDroid

I'm hoping OTD or Caddy have some solution
  11. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

From what I can see this has something to do with the web connections for peep, weather, etc. The only thing I have really ever seen about it is when someone has a problem with a "connected" HTC application. Depending on what your set up is and what you have running or what you are killing there has to be a connection problem some place. I would take a look at any of the HTC apps that you have and double check their settings. It looks like one of them is trying to connect to the web, but can't.
  12. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

onlt thing i can think of is a task killer killing it, it shows up in running apps on my ATM and i kill it and it comes back, never seen a FC for it.
  13. JrzDroid

you two are my favorite Forum members ever =]
  14. Papadroid

The only way I was able to resolve the issue was going to 2.1. I haven't seen it since, it's working fantastic now.