• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Force Close issue

ljsboyle

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
is anyone else having issues with the phone and a system error message with something about com.htc.provider and it only gives you the option of a "force close" button. sometimes that is all that happens and once you hit the force close the message goes away, at least for a while. other times when this happens it deletes all of your text strings. i have 2 lines and 2 droids, both were having the same issue, did the factory resets, went to the store with both and finally gave in and took 2 refurbished phones to try and fix issue, both refurbished phones started doing the same thing immediately. i am in process of arguing with verizon about not wanting another eris to replace these. but need to know, am I that lucky that I would get 4 of these with the same issue and no one else is having this problem??

is anyone else having issues with the phone and a system error message with something about com.htc.provider and it only gives you the option of a "force close" button. sometimes that is all that happens and once you hit the force close the message goes away, at least for a while. other times when this happens it deletes all of your text strings. i have 2 lines and 2 droids, both were having the same issue, did the factory resets, went to the store with both and finally gave in and took 2 refurbished phones to try and fix issue, both refurbished phones started doing the same thing immediately. i am in process of arguing with verizon about not wanting another eris to replace these. but need to know, am I that lucky that I would get 4 of these with the same issue and no one else is having this problem??

i remember that from 1.5
when i upgraded it stoppe happening.

Upvote 0
If you were to upgrade to the 2.1 OS, with or without root, this problem will likely go away. This happened to me a couple of times, but i upgraded to the 2.1 v2 leak shortly after getting my Eris and the problem went away.

I do not recall any specific solution to this problem on 1.5 as it seemed to be related to different app processes conflicting with each other. I do recall someone mentioning the stock weather/clock widget being a culprit as well.

Upvote 0
I echo what everyone else is saying, if you're on 1.5 going to 2.1 will most likely fix the issue. That is the main reason I went to the leak. Also I believe it has something to do with GPS and the HTC weather widgets in 1.5. If you're using the HTC clock with weather or any of the weather apps I would look into Weather & Toggle widets aka weather widget donate. Unfortunately I did not try that in 1.5 so I'm just guessing that it might work for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones