• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

bistritapcv

Jan 21, 2010
I got my HTC Eris approximately Jan 19, 2010. Since then I have had to factory reset it THREE times (losing everything. Good thing contacts were backed up). First story Verizon gave me was it was the contacts causing the problems. Next story they gave me was that there were too many apps. I don't know if I buy either of these.

First if there are too many apps, it should tell you. If too many apps are running, a simple power cycle (with battery removal) should fix the problem. But nothing did. It just took
like 10 minutes to load, and then everything kept quitting unexpectedly and force closing (something like com.android.htc.acore and com.android.htc.phone, etc). Phone calls wouldn't work because the phone process kept force quitting.

I don't want to be resetting and reactivating my phone every couple weeks. Anything else can be done? Is it bad quality control? Are there apps that remove operating system files? Do I always have to reset? Anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

I've had this same problem a few times. I had to factory reset my phone three different times over the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it was an app that I had downloaded or MyPandahome but I got the same error messages.

I used MybackupPro to back up everything before I did the reset. After restoring everything for the second time I said to heck with it and just restored my contacts. I just had to download all of my apps again <sigh>. I have not had the problem since.

I basically have the same apps that I had previously with the exception of a few. What apps do you corrently have installed and also do you have any alternate home's installed?

I have searched forums on several different sites and I have still not found out what the problem was.

Upvote 0
Well it happened to me again today. My system force closed and I could not get service on my phone. I deleted Better Keyboard and the skins I had downloaded for it. I also deleted Spare Parts and made my hidden Google contacts visable. Rebooted the phone and it worked again. Not sure if it was Better Keyboard, Spare Parts, or the fact that my Google contacts were hidden but was ever I changed corrected the problem.

Upvote 0
at least you are able to reboot.
Whenevr I do the advanced application killer it shows like 10 or 12 apps running
even when I am not using them. Should they all be running when not in use? Is
there some kind of startup file like a .profile in linux that says to run everything?
Can I remove files from being started unless they are used?

Upvote 0
at least you are able to reboot.
Whenevr I do the advanced application killer it shows like 10 or 12 apps running
even when I am not using them. Should they all be running when not in use? Is
there some kind of startup file like a .profile in linux that says to run everything?
Can I remove files from being started unless they are used?

There is an app called startup auditor or something similar available in the market. However, if you are already having so many force closes a task killer probably isn't going to improve things. I would dare say it is one of your problems.

Upvote 0
Well when I hit the home key it asked if I wanted to complete it using HOME or HTC Sense. HTC Sense showed the normal home screen. HOME showed a pared-down version.

Point is even after removing the battery and replacing everything still force closed and I couldn't make calls use internet or do settings.

Upvote 0
OK, this has been going back and forth for a few days now. bistritapcv can you answer a few questions so that we can try and get this sorted?

1 - What is you current available memory on the phone?
Settings > SD card & Phone Storage > Available Space

2 - Are you running a task killer? If so, what is the name?

3 - Can you please list the 3rd party apps you have installed?
Market > My Downloads

Upvote 0
Sorry. I was away. See below

>>1 - What is you current available memory on the phone?
>>Settings > SD card & Phone Storage > Available Space
Depends. Right now it shows 49M. But when I stop everything with
Advanced Task Killer then it goes to 65M (though Where's My Droid started
up again). Sometimes even more processes will be running than what it showed
here, but for this instance:
market
shopper
market Live
A Online Radio
BBC News
Advanced Task Killer

(I never even started shopper or A Online Radio or market live). Sometimes there are more.

>>2 - Are you running a task killer? If so, what is the name?
See 1 above

>>3 - Can you please list the 3rd party apps you have installed?
>>Market > My Downloads
This may be irrelevant now because you really need to know the list I had last time it crashed.
Here's what I have now. Is probably similar to last crash but not exact. I can't remember
exactly what last crash, but each is different:

Rock Radio, BBC news, BeamReader, Here U Go, i Music, Sokoban, flightstats light,
Mixzing, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Washington Metro, MarketLive, stocks,
Movies, TV Guide USA, Any Stop DC WMATA, Any Stop DC Circ, Shopper, Food Finder,
Color Note, Barcode Scanner, Adv Task Killer, Listen, Transitguru Metra, handyCalc,
Episcopal Calendar, Sunrise/Sunset, Where's my Droid, Shazam, Inserty (free), Ringtones (Mabilo),
Toilet finder, Coming Up, Stream Furious, A Online Radio, My Coupons, TV.Com, TTS, Google Translate, DC Metro Map

(has gotten progressively more)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones