• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Force gallery to load new photos?

I was having a HORRIBLE time with this issue. To fix it, I moved all of the contents of my SD Card to my PC. I unmounted the SD card and formatted it, then remounted it. I transferred the files from my PC back to the SD Card. In my case this worked, and the gallery is blazing along fast recognizing media changes instantly. Don't know if this helped, but before I did any of the above I also cleared the gallery data under settings>applications>managae applications>all>gallery. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
From what I understand u place a .nomedia file in the folder that u dont want to show up in the gallery.

Correct and to be more specific, it needs to be a blank .txt file. (Create in note pad on your computer and transfer, or there are some free notepad-like apps on the market). It should be named nomedia.txt (not nomedia.txt.txt).

Reactions: othgar
Upvote 0
Correct and to be more specific, it needs to be a blank .txt file. (Create in note pad on your computer and transfer, or there are some free notepad-like apps on the market). It should be named nomedia.txt (not nomedia.txt.txt).
Thank you much. Can finally get the album art and cached images out of my gallery. Now my question is why apps don't do this by default? Like, I have some cached JuicePlotter graphs in my gallery.

Upvote 0
OK, possible dumb question:

I have a folder of pics for my contacts, can I put a .nomedia file in that, and it won't show up when I go to the gallery, but can still be used to attach to the contacts? Would I need to apply them to each contact BEFORE putting the nomedia file in, if that's possible, or would the picker still "see" them even though the gallery doesn't?

Upvote 0

I did this and the pictures still showed up in the gallery. The .txt file is supposed to be in the same folder as the pictures, correct?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones