1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Force gmail app to always open in the Inbox?

Last Updated:

1. dremelts

dremelts New Member This Topic's Starter

When I start the gmail app I would like it to ALWAYS go to the Inbox. Instead it starts with some old message displayed and I have to tap menu - Back to Inbox so I can see new messages. And it's not like it's opening the last message that I was reading either - it's some old message that's not even in the Inbox.

Is there any way to force it to ALWAYS go to the Inbox when I start the app?

Moto Droid 2.01

Advertisement
  2. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Yah I really hate this. It doesn't open an old message for me, but whatever came in most recent. It really needs to open to your inbox by default or give you an option to open the newest message.

I thought people said this was "fixed" in 2.01 but obviously not.

3. StandardsDT

StandardsDT Member

Does anyone have an answer for this? I've been wondering the same thing as well.

4. StandardsDT

StandardsDT Member

I finally got in touch with one of my friends who owns an Android device (Droid) and they told me that it isn't possible.

Would have been nice if some one just answered this question you guys originally presented about a month ago. Well now this has been solved, hope this helped the both of you.

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Maybe you're the first one to read the thread who actually had an answer. I don't think it has anything to do with others (not) being nice.

I usually only open my mail in response to an email notification, which always brings me to my Inbox, so I'm not familiar with the problem you're experiencing. But, have any of you tried creating a shortcut to your Inbox on your Home screen? Does it reliably do what you want?

6. mejobloggs

mejobloggs New Member

My old phone used to go to the inbox when I press gmail from the launcher

My new phone goes to the last opened message. Really irritating. I want to always go to the Inbox :(

7. my2sense

my2sense Member

Mine always goes to the inbox whenever I open up gmail. However, I always close my gmail app after I'm done with it by pressing the back button.

From what you're describing it almost sounds like you're reading an email and then click on home to exit gmail instead of the back button. If that's the case then it makes sense to me that gmail would open at your last read email rather than the inbox. I would think that would be by design since that's the behaviour of reopening "exiting/suspending" apps, e.g., open at the last screen.

8. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

From what I can tell the gmail app opens to the last place you were.
    So if you were in your trash folder and you hit the home button, the next time you go into the app you will be in the trash folder.
    I always back out of the gmail app instead of hitting home and it always starts in my inbox.