Forced to the edge.Support

Last Updated:

1. Ratteler

Ratteler Member This Topic's Starter

Given the possibility of caps on 3G service, is there a way to force the G1 to use edge service even when 3G is avilable?

Advertisement
  2. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about the cap. It was essentially lifted the day after it was noticed. Now it just says "no excessive downloading"

So don't run torrents off of your device and you'll be fine. :)

3. Ratteler

Ratteler Member This Topic's Starter

I'd still like a manual way to decide between 3G and Edge service.

I'm a control freak. :D

4. freedomflyer

freedomflyer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think T-Mobile is essentially putting the entire Android community/owners group on a little of a "trial-run-let's-see-how-you-handle-this" deal where they leave it up to the community and developers to be responsible. But it's only a few clicks of buttons to turn caps, overage charges, etc on.
    But just ONE torrent download of the Dark Knight won't hurt...will it!?

5. damnitpud

damnitpud Member

There is an option to use 2G only to save battery in the settings.

Attached Files:

6. freedomflyer

freedomflyer Well-Known Member

Nice find pud. The G1 can still be very useful even on a 2G network, in my opinion. The contacts, calendar, email, and communication apps don't suck to much bandwidth for normal usage. Unless you're YouTubing or downloading large apps, etc., it might be a good idea to hop on the wave of the not-so-distant past.

And while i'm at it - this could be a very, very, (very!?) good thing for a developer to implement into Android. A way to very quickly switch from 2G to 3G and back again. Possibly a long press of a physical button or something therabouts.

I know I would switch between 2G and 3G a whole lot as long as it was easy. I always find myself turning on/off my WiFi to save battery life, and switching from 3G to 2G would do the same thing...maybe I'll post this in the app suggestion thread.

7. Dmoney21

Dmoney21 Member

I am not looking at having 3g in Milwaukee,Wisconsin at least until late Q1 of next year so i am glad there is a setting to save battery life. I am not worried about edge for now since i have been using it for awhile now. Although i am sure some of the services on the phone might be restricted ...:(

8. sajj

sajj Active Member

dang what a good find, ima just abuise edge unless i really need the 3g network!

9. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

A lil off topic here. But how did you take that screenshot? Ive been looking to do this for a while now.

10. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad to hear that. This is a good sign for a legit laptop tethering app (so long as you're not abusing it).