• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forced to use HIPAA text messaging tigertext

I am working at a new hospital, and they have a technical policy that I have to sign that says that I can use my cellphone or iPad at work, but only if I have installed this HIPAA (American patient information privacy laws) compliant text messaging app (Tigertext) that they supply.

They told me that it is because they are focused on patient info security and they have had an issue with employees losing their phones and having patient info on them.

Do they have a right to force me to use a certain app for texting with my phone at work?

Has anyone use Tigertext? Why is it so secure?

Doesn't SMS work the same?

I just don't know if I want an app from work placed on my phone?[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

As I am sure you have been through HIPAA training I am sure that you are aware there are stiff penalties for accidental release of a patient's personal information.

To answer your questions though:

Doesn't SMS work the same?

No. SMS traffic travels over an unencrypted data channel through cellular networks when in theory means it could be intercepted and read. Furthermore SMS applications typically do not store conversations securely or with any form of encryption. Meaning should you lose your phone - anyone can read your SMS conversations.

Do they have a right to force me to use a certain app for texting with my phone at work?

Yes - if you want to connect your device to their network than they can require that you install certain software to maintain network security. They can also require that any work related information be transmitted via certain channels (ie computers and devices the software they deem appropriate). I'm not sure that they can actually require that you use your personal device as part of your job (basically if it is a function of your job they should be the ones providing it). However if you want to use your device, you have to do it by their rules.

Has anyone use Tigertext? Why is it so secure?

Google Tigertext and you'll find out. Honestly though it doesn't matter, the hospital administration has already determined this is what is required to use a personal device. Your choice is whether to do so or forgo the use of your phone for work.

I just don't know if I want an app from work placed on my phone?

Why not? However if the idea of it bothers and it is not a requirement for you to complete your job then don't do it and don't worry about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones