• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Forgot to download SuperSu & Unlocked bootloader before the root process

zzpree

Dec 16, 2012
Seattle
Oh eeem Geee..... I can't believe I did this.

I started to root prematurely and don't know what to do now.:thinking:

This is the link for which I method I used courtesy of Mikestony:)

I though I read it very thoroughly and I was wrong

http://http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439

I did not download SuperSu + Unlocked Bootloader seen here

Step 1 - Preparation

Quote:
Download and Install Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
Download and extract ODIN v3.07 - Link
Download one of the below
For Root Only - Download SuperSU to your SD Card - Link
For Unlocked Bootloader Only - Download Verizon Galaxy S III Unlocked Bootloader to your SD Card - Link
For Both Root and Unlocked Bootloader ***RECOMMENDED*** - Download SuperSU + Unlocked Bootloader to your SD Card - Link

I simply downloaded the link to my P......even that I screwed it up because I only DL'd SU and not bootloader.:(

Now I have entered recovery mode still connected via USB To My pc. I chose to use TRWP and now don't know what to do.

I know this is my fault by not being careful, and thorough:(. Please can anyone please tell me what to do next?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!! So I figured it out no biggie, I just rebooted my phone and it works fine. I will download the appropriate files and pick up where I left off.

You are still in recovery now correct?
There should be an option, (not familiar with TWRP) to perhaps mount the phone as a disk drive, or usbms-toggle, or something like that which will allow you to see your sd card contents on the computer while your phone is plugged in.
Download the file you need to your computer.....plug the phone into computer (phone still in recovery)...find that option I suggested to mount the phone.....move the file from computer to sd card.....unmount phone and flash the file:)

Edit: saw your edit :)

Reactions: zzpree
Upvote 0
You are still in recovery now correct?
There should be an option, (not familiar with TWRP) to perhaps mount the phone as a disk drive, or usbms-toggle, or something like that which will allow you to see your sd card contents on the computer while your phone is plugged in.
Download the file you need to your computer.....plug the phone into computer (phone still in recovery)...find that option I suggested to mount the phone.....move the file from computer to sd card.....unmount phone and flash the file:)

Edit: saw your edit :)

Well i am still having problems with TWRP. I have succesfully reboot my phone and downloaded the extracted and downloaded the SuperSu and bootloader file.... now I am still in recovery mode it says Select Zip to install.

I selected it, but don't know how to flash it. There is no option. I got a little frustrated and started to select other things , but now I am afraid to do anything else. Any Ideas?
:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0
Well i am still having problems with TWRP. I have succesfully reboot my phone and downloaded the extracted and downloaded the SuperSu and bootloader file.... now I am still in recovery mode it says Select Zip to install.

I selected it, but don't know how to flash it. There is no option. I got a little frustrated and started to select other things , but now I am afraid to do anything else. Any Ideas?
:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:
The only thing extracted is the Odin.zip...which you did.
Leave everything else zipped.
The SU and bootloader file should be on your sd card.
In TWRP, navigate to the SU and bootloader zip on the sd card and select it by pressing the power button..I am not familiar with TWRP but to select things , use the power button......It should ask you if you want to flash it....
Hit the power button (?) to select it.

I gotta step out for a few hours but I will try to keep up via my phone:)

Upvote 0
The only thing extracted is the Odin.zip...which you did.
Leave everything else zipped.
The SU and bootloader file should be on your sd card.
In TWRP, navigate to the SU and bootloader zip on the sd card and select it by pressing the power button..I am not familiar with TWRP but to select things , use the power button......It should ask you if you want to flash it....
Hit the power button (?) to select it.

I gotta step out for a few hours but I will try to keep up via my phone:)

If you have downloaded the SU and bootloader follow this as this informations is perfectly correct

Upvote 0
Hi Guy's I am soooooo sorry my wife is pregnant and when she ask's me to do stuff I have to help. I was away from my PC and am back now. I am not leaving until I have sucessfully rooted or Bricked my phone.

f you have downloaded the SU and bootloader follow this as this informations is perfectly correct

Well now that I am back, I have unsuccessfully been able to get SU and bootloader to open.

What I did then was extract and download the files.

That didn't work. When I try to execute zip flashing of the su file I used the home to accomplish this but it didn't work either.

I will now remove those files and attempt to get the correct SU+bootloader.zip on my phone and go from there. :) :) :)

I still have the issue of not knowing how to launch the flashing of the downloaded zip using TWRP. I have looked online and not seen a device with a video using it on Verizon gs3. :(

The videos UI looks different on other handsets and tablets. :(

:):):) Thank you both Mikestoney and Liamo for your help and input :):):)

I will be back with an update shortly

~Cheers

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
No problem mate we are glad to help. Its great that you got it to work but as for your last question I am unsure. I'll try think and come bact to you but its 1am here

I got you brother. You are the man for even looking at this. I appreciate the hell out of it.

I got it to flash the SU+ bootloader zip but like I said it did NOT ask me to "Disable recovery flash"

I can't move forward without knowing if it worked.

This is driving me crazy lol.

I have a serious newfound respect for all those who came before me and passed on the knowledge to advance to the next stage of "developing/installing" custom stuff.

Upvote 0
I got you brother. You are the man for even looking at this. I appreciate the hell out of it.

I got it to flash the SU+ bootloader zip but like I said it did NOT ask me to "Disable recovery flash"

I can't move forward without knowing if it worked.

This is driving me crazy lol.

I have a serious newfound respect for all those who came before me and passed on the knowledge to advance to the next stage of "developing/installing" custom stuff.

Stupid comment don't mind it edited after I realised you answerd.

Upvote 0
I have successfully rooted and unlocked my bootloader.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Way to go zzpree!
Sorry I was out this afternoon and night.....was at my dad's for a late Christmas Party.
And BIG BIG THANKS to Liamo for stepping in to help!!! Thanks Liam!!
As far as that "disable recovery flash", I have seen others with that issue but has not negatively affected their root status!
Again, I am so happy you got it going, and am VERY THANKFUL to Liam for helping:D

Reactions: Liamo_210
Upvote 0
Yes, I am very excited. I have always been interested in android, but never made the leap. I am a commercial plumber, so I build things for a living... hospitals, schools, highrises and such. I found this experience very satisfying and appreciate all the help.

I am now trying to figure out what to do next lol. I want to remove bloatware of course (yawn). Theming, destroying s voice. But now I am not sure how to protect myself yet from damaging my system. In other words, I don't quit understand how to utilize RECOVERY. STEEP learning curve. Again thanks all. :):):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Recovery, in my understanding, is like a mini operating system on your phone.
This is the place you can flash roms, kernels, clear cache and dalvik cache etc.

At this point you are at the same point I am. Ready to flash a rom (operating system--simply put).

Sometime this weekend, I will be flashing (installing) a rom. I will do that in recovery.
Most of the time, from what I understand again, flashing a rom will wipe your phone.
You will lose all contacts, (if not backed up to your google account), and all your apps and data.
However, I use an app called TitaniumBackup to make a backup of my USER apps and data...not system apps (as roms come with thier own apps, why back them up right?)
After the flash, I sign into google, my contacts will auto sync, I download Titanium Backup from the PlayStore and restore my (user) apps and/or data (information for the apps).
The only drawback to losing everything, you have to set it all up again. Not my forte' but hey, it's fun to try new roms.:)

Upvote 0
I am on it, and installing Titaniumback up now. If you don't mind dropping me a line after you flash a rom letting me know how it goes, I would really look forward to hearing back from you. I just got my s3 three days ago so I have alot of reading to do.

Cheers and good luck ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Hey no problem!
If I may, I recommend the pro version (the unlock key)
It gives you the ability to restore apps in batches, instead of 1 at a time.
It also gives you the ability to "freeze" apps. If you freeze an app, and your phone acts just fine, you can safely assume it can be deleted.
See this list for safe to delete bloatware:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AqTvctlW89DtdC1qVUlLeVFTV3ZOdUtDclpBdVRQOUE&pli=1

I will be in touch! Not going to flash tonite...it's getting late for me:D
And by the way, take care of your wife if need be...she comes first!!;)

Reactions: dkl1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones