• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Format internal storage

skinien

Android Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2010
I finally decided to apply a lag-fix to me phone. I used the RyanZA fix available in the market. I'm not exactly sure on the stock partition configuration on the Captivate but if I understand the lag-fix, an ext2 partition is created and the system files are moved to that partition.

Thinking ahead for when Froyo areives, I'm wondering if I can format all of my internal storage and reinstall a ROM. If I format the internal storage, do the necessary partitions need to be created manually or does installing a ROM create the needed partitions?

I hope this question makes sense. I'm fairly new to Android so execuse me if my terminology is off.

Thanks.

That particular lag fix creates a virtual ext2 partition on the stock RFS partition. Not only is ext2 unsafe (it doesn't keep very good data integrity in the event of a shutdown), but this complicated abstraction/virtualization layer adds a complexity that can cause issues.

If you use this (and pretty much any) lag fix, there are no promises that any update, major or minor, will install cleanly. Also note that they don't uninstall 100% cleanly either. Even the Voodoo lagfix, which creates a native ext4 partition instead of a fake one, doesn't uninstall properly and leaves behind the custom modified kernel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones