Formatted SD card...how to recover?Support

1. paulcoates

paulcoates New Member

I believe that my wife's sd card was formatted in error, and I have downloaded a file recovery tool in order to retrieve them from the sd card.

Now that I can see them on my flash drive, they all appear to have been intermixed with pieces of files from other photos. Or the files could also be essentially "cut", where I open the file and maybe the left 1/3 of the picture shows up but the rest of the jpg is essentially nothing.

Any idea what is doing this? any way to restore these properly?

Advertisement
  2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forums. Did u put this sd card into that adapter and put the adapter with sd card in your pc/computer. A pop up will show askimg you to fix to recover .
  3. paulcoates

paulcoates New Member

I put the micro sd card into the larger card and put it into my pc, but dont recall anything popping up asking me to recover it
  4. BRAINZ2013

Did the pc say it was downloading drivers . Did you leave the sd adapter in the pc for a few minutes .. now remove it from the pc and power off for a few and power back up and then put sd adapter back in
  5. Netcat

Netcat Well-Known Member

When you accidently format SD memory (or any memory) and want to recover files on it, it is very important that you STOP using the SD card immediately. The formatting process does not actually erase the files on it, but it does erase the table that points to the files so they can be overwritten. If you use the memory card after accidentally formatting it, there is a good chance that new files will overwrite the old files partially or fully. That's probably why you're seeing some photos with parts missing. A professional data recovery service or some paid-for software might be able to do better but it won't be free.
  6. paulcoates

paulcoates New Member

that was my fear

If I put my sd card into my windows pc now, it doesnt recognize those jpg as jpg's. In other words, when I double click them to view them, it gives me an error about "not supporting this file format". If I try to view these files with my Undelete tool, them they are somewhat scrambled as I explained before.
  7. Michal Robert

Michal Robert New Member

Stop feeling guilty!!! However, here is software named as Remo Recover tool which is worth enough to restore data from formatted SD card easily.
  8. Rockman

Rockman Well-Known Member

I accidently formatted my SD card out of my camera with over 250 pictures from a pool party in the Philippines. I used my Quetek software and got back probably 95 percent or better of the pictures.. Excellent sofware, not super cheap like 19.95 or anything but its not prohibitedly expensive either.
    BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  9. BRAINZ2013

Not at all damm to recover the photos .