Formatting 1gb SD card

Last Updated:

1. RokyKing

RokyKing Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, tonight I was trying to root my phone and I ran into an issue. Everytime I would right click the drive and try and format It was just unmount it from my phone and then I would have to remount it again to see the drive on my computer. I tried on win7, ubuntu, vista and xp.

All of which did the same thing to me.

I had someone recomend to unmount the card from the phone and format on the phone. But I am pretty sure it will format it in FAT while all the guides ive seen explicitly point out FAT32.

If it formats it in FAT can I still continue with root or will I have to go buy a sd card bigger than 4gb to continue and get root?

Advertisement
  2. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

you will need fat32 and buying a better sd is always recommended... make sure you get a class 4 or better if you eventually plan on running apps of your sd instead of internal memory.... and formating your card is not needed only recommended...

3. jady

jady New Member

I have the same problem. I cannot format my sd card on my laptop either. I am using a micro to sd adapter on my laptop, maybe that's the issue.

But it does unmount as soon as I try to format with my g1. I have tryed 2 diff cards BTW, the 1g that came with it and a 2g card from my old phone.

4. halr9000

halr9000 New Member

I'm having the same problem. Windows 7, 1GB stock card. Any known solutions? I can't seem to get the rom downgrade to work, so I was hoping that formatting to fat32 would fix but...I'm stuck.

5. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

windows is VERY quirky when it comes to the g1 and sd cards... for partitioning i recommend Paragon for windows and g-parted for linux.... and for the life of me i cant find it now but i know there are updated/new drivers for the g1 on windows floating around on XDA and a few other places... ill keep looking but i know vista and 7 need the new drivers....

6. kidnoble

kidnoble Member

I was JUST about to post about this very same problem

7. Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2 Member

Get a class 6 SD card.

8. kidnoble

kidnoble Member

does class 6 mean a 6 gig?

9. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

SD cards are rated by class 2, 4, or 6 to denote Write Speed ... Class 6 being the fastest and best used for cameras to store the just taken pic ...

Size is independent of class ...
    SDHC micro cards come in GB sizes 1,2,4,8,16, and 32 GB sizes ...