• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Former Evo users that bought Epic?

Had the Evo since August 5th, just returned it for the Epic about an hour ago. Having swype straight out of the box is great, I still can't believe how awesome swype is. The screen is still plenty big, bigger than an iphone, and the .3" difference from the evo is barely notice. Camera and camcorder is much better than the evo, I'm not very into cell phone cameras but I can tell you already that the epic performs much better than the evo. As long as the battery is marginally better than the evo, I'm not going to have any regrets.

Upvote 0
more dull and not as bright as the Evo? wut?
that should be flipped. the Evo should be not as bright and a little washed out when compared to the Epic.

I was watching the Radio Shack rep demo it for another customer and it looked dull from a distance. I keep hearing how good the screen is so I was scratching my head as well. It could be the interface home screen it was currently in>Touch Wiz. I'm pretty use to Sense so mayvbe everything just looked darker to me. Wanted to grab it and see if it was at brightest but I was too busy trying to get mine on, (which I never did before I left.just held it)

I remember thinking the same thing about the Moment when debating on the Hero a while ago. I'll find out soon enough

Upvote 0
I was watching the Radio Shack rep demo it for another customer and it looked dull from a distance. I keep hearing how good the screen is so I was scratching my head as well. It could be the interface home screen it was currently in>Touch Wiz. I'm pretty use to Sense so mayvbe everything just looked darker to me. Wanted to grab it and see if it was at brightest but I was too busy trying to get mine on, (which I never did before I left.just held it)

I remember thinking the same thing about the Moment when debating on the Hero a while ago. I'll find out soon enough

maybe because you were looking at it from a distance haha.
it's going to naturally be darker with dark colors, though, because of the AMOLED.

Upvote 0
maybe because you were looking at it from a distance haha.
it's going to naturally be darker with dark colors, though, because of the AMOLED.

Thats quite possible, I was about to 2-3 feet awat. So let me get this straight..Amoled is makes it darker? Why would that be better..I keep hearing about the Iphone 4 retna display as well when screens come up. Resolution is the quality which I understand but maybe I'm missing something..

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm surprised there are even this many people who have had both phones already. I imagine if the obvious factors (screen size and slide out keyboard, etc) dont make the decision for you, then its a matter of preference. Do you have a preference for Sense or TouchWiz? How much does a sharper screen mean to you?

And as far as build quality, I have no problems with my Evo (I did have to replace it due to the charging port issue once though), but I've heard no issues with any of the other Galaxy S phones hardware wise (I'm not counting GPS here, as it reportedly works fine for the Epic). Then again, Samsung hasn't had the best reputation it seems with previous phones over the last few years.

Upvote 0
Thats quite possible, I was about to 2-3 feet awat. So let me get this straight..Amoled is makes it darker? Why would that be better..I keep hearing about the Iphone 4 retna display as well when screens come up. Resolution is the quality which I understand but maybe I'm missing something..

resolution does not always determine quality. this is evident with LCD vs AMOLED or SAMOLED when comparing something like the Nexus One to the Evo or Droid Incredible to the Evo etc. they all have a resolution of 800x480 (or 480x800, same thing). AMOLED makes dark colors darker, and bright colors brighter. in simple terms, it has a higher contrast ratio over LCD, meaning darker blacks and brighter whites. AMOLED is more vibrant and makes colors "pop" more.

Upvote 0
Angry former EVO user. Gone through two EVO with all the waiting, screen separating, crooked volume and power buttons, slow 3G internet connection, non response to new settings, crooked back plate, bad HD video recording (video and sound), yellowish tinted wash out screen and the constant stutter when scrolling.

The Epic has non of the issues mentioned above and the most rumored issues such as the GPS works great. The S-AMOLD screen contrast and color is amazing you have to see it yourself to believe it. I really gave HTC a chance since the EVO was my first smartphone but comparing it to the Epic, they just have too much QC and design problems. The specs on the the HTC phones all look great, but the way they put all those goodies together just needs more improvements and refinements.

Also I think the biggest difference between the Epic and the EVO is the video recording. Just did a couple of sample 720p videos right after I got it and the quality of the video and sound of the Epic is just soooo much better than the recordings on the EVO both indoor and out. Really, go try it out and see for yourself.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
I had an Evo... three of them to be precise. First was ok for the first day until the screen became allergic to the chassis of the phone, second was bricked... by an update, lol. Third I just returned I really got fed up with the phone. The camera is jaw dropping on the Epic the colors come to life on the S-Amoled screen, words and video cannot describe, now I know what reviewers mean everytime they say the camera doesn't do this phone justice.

Upvote 0
resolution does not always determine quality. this is evident with LCD vs AMOLED or SAMOLED when comparing something like the Nexus One to the Evo or Droid Incredible to the Evo etc. they all have a resolution of 800x480 (or 480x800, same thing). AMOLED makes dark colors darker, and bright colors brighter. in simple terms, it has a higher contrast ratio over LCD, meaning darker blacks and brighter whites. AMOLED is more vibrant and makes colors "pop" more.

Thats clear to me now what your saying. I certainly didnt see it long enough to see it make the bright colors brighter. I look forward to putting it to the test..

Angry former EVO user. Gone through two EVO with all the waiting, screen separating, crooked volume and power buttons, slow 3G internet connection, non response to new settings, crooked back plate, bad HD video recording (video and sound), yellowish tinted wash out screen and the constant stutter when scrolling.

The Epic has non of the issues mentioned above and the most rumored issues such as the GPS works great. The S-AMOLD screen contrast and color is amazing you have to see it yourself to believe it. I really gave HTC a chance since the EVO was my first smartphone but comparing it to the Epic, they just have too much QC and design problems. The specs on the the HTC phones all look great, but the way they put all those goodies together just needs more improvements and refinements.

Also I think the biggest difference between the Epic and the EVO is the video recording. Just did a couple of sample 720p videos right after I got it and the quality of the video and sound of the Epic is just soooo much better than the recordings on the EVO both indoor and out. Really, go try it out and see for yourself.

I'm pumped after reading this. I cant say I had any of those issues and as a matter of fact, the Evo had been my best phone prior to the stock update. Things that worked great before stopped working or became useless. It also seemed like the developers werent up to speed with creating for 2.2 so all my best applications became worthless. I could of jumped in and rooted back but since I always wanted the keyboard but settled and now will be back at 2.1 with the option to upgrade, maybe it'll work out.

Upvote 0
Just used Pandora radio, sound quality is crystal clear. I'm very impressed with the speakers on the Epic. This is the first time I heard music streaming through a cell phone and you couldnt tell the source was a cell phone. I'm so happy I traded the evo for this!!!
The sound difference is not the Evo vs Epic. It's 2.1 vs 2.2. The sound was degraded when the Evo went to 2.2. Blame google for that

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm surprised there are even this many people who have had both phones already. I imagine if the obvious factors (screen size and slide out keyboard, etc) dont make the decision for you, then its a matter of preference. Do you have a preference for Sense or TouchWiz? How much does a sharper screen mean to you?

And as far as build quality, I have no problems with my Evo (I did have to replace it due to the charging port issue once though), but I've heard no issues with any of the other Galaxy S phones hardware wise (I'm not counting GPS here, as it reportedly works fine for the Epic). Then again, Samsung hasn't had the best reputation it seems with previous phones over the last few years.

screw Sense and TW. both have decent widgets but that doesn't mean a thing to me when the launchers are so inferior to LauncherPro/ADWLauncher. i like minimal home screens (ie no icons on the home screen yet still being able to get to several other icons just through the dock without launching the app drawer). can't do that with either because you can only have 3(Sense) or 4(TW) icons on the dock. also in TW you can't even do a multiple page view like in Sense.

screen size is negligible. everyone is thinking about that .3 inch difference but what they fail to remember is that when you're typing in any application, you have a software keyboard on the Evo eating up about a 1/3 of the screen whereas with the Epic you don't thanks to the slideout. so you actually end up with more screen when doing productive things and not just looking at one or the other. sharper screen, well it's obvious who wins there lol

both have lots of pros and cons. no hardware issues (except a little capacitive button bleed) on my Evo. i'm actually happy with the Evo but i'm such a tech geek that i can't resist checking out the Epic.

The sound difference is not the Evo vs Epic. It's 2.1 vs 2.2. The sound was degraded when the Evo went to 2.2. Blame google for that

yup, this is the real culprit behind Pandora's sound degradation

I can say either my 2 months with the Evo has started to play tricks on me or this damn Epic is FASTER..Seems snappier.I just got a prompt asking if I want to do a system update? I decided not too..(last time I did that I did a 2.2 Upgrade and hated it)..Anyone else see this?

it is faster haha. the processor is slightly faster and i'm sure some other things were tweaked as well. the bootup time is crazy fast compared to any other smartphone i've seen before.

wouldn't do that system update if it were me...

Upvote 0
yeah i hated timing belts too. newer cars just have serpentine belts which you can change yourself :)

hope you can make some dough off of it!

I hope this was sarcasm. A timing belt and serpentine fan belt are two very different animals. I feel for the guy that is paying that bill.

Back on subject, can someone who has an Epic tell me how fast the camera is? My Moment is super slow after hitting the capture button (takes decent pictures though). When I had a Pre, it would snap photos off as fast as I pushed the button. How fast is the Epic. Thanks

Upvote 0
Got my girl her epic today. The phone is definitely very impressive. I'm staring at her super amoled screen like WoW! I'm really hatin on that :) also the camera makes an ass out of my Evo cam. Havent tried the video yet.

Wouldn't buy it but it's got potential. I'm not a physical keyboard type of guy. I like to live in the now. Evo still has the crown. Hope HTC is taking notes on the screen and cam. An Evo 2 with those improvements alone would be revolutionary .... again. My girl is still whining about an iphone having no clue that her Epic is 50000 x better. Women ...... :)

Also stole her 16gb card that came with it. Gave her my 8. Thanks Samsung

Upvote 0
Well here is my two cents! I really miss HTC sense I like the clock and having the weather on the home screen is there a way to do this on the Epic? maybe so. The screen size is not really a bother to me, the size of the phone feels better in my hand, not like holding a brick. The AMOLED screen is amazing it is just beautiful leaves EVO in the dust here. The Epic seems to me to be built much better than EVO. I also think its more attractive and I thought it was going to be the opposite.

I do miss the kick stand seemed silly at first but once you get used to something being there you miss it. This phone reminds me of the IPhone more than the EVO. The screen layout and the widgets are very IPhone esque looking. The vibrate on the EPIC blows the Evo away, another feature that just makes the Epic feel better built. I love the dedicated camera button also just makes it so much easer to quickly take a picture no screen fiddling needed.

Who ever was asking about the sensitivity of the lower function buttons I notice no problem in touch response at all. In fact I used the screen key board to set the phone up with and I had a better time typing on this virtual key pad than that of the EVO for some reason. One thing I did notice the Epic has better ear speaker sound and much stronger volume. The EVO always sounded raspy and buzzy to me. More later!

Upvote 0
Well here is my two cents! I really miss HTC sense I like the clock and having the weather on the home screen is there a way to do this on the Epic? maybe so. The screen size is not really a bother to me, the size of the phone feels better in my hand, not like holding a brick. The AMOLED screen is amazing it is just beautiful leaves EVO in the dust here. The Epic seems to me to be built much better than EVO. I also think its more attractive and I thought it was going to be the opposite.

I do miss the kick stand seemed silly at first but once you get used to something being there you miss it. This phone reminds me of the IPhone more than the EVO. The screen layout and the widgets are very IPhone esque looking. The vibrate on the EPIC blows the Evo away, another feature that just makes the Epic feel better built. I love the dedicated camera button also just makes it so much easer to quickly take a picture no screen fiddling needed.

Who ever was asking about the sensitivity of the lower function buttons I notice no problem in touch response at all. In fact I used the screen key board to set the phone up with and I had a better time typing on this virtual key pad than that of the EVO for some reason. One thing I did notice the Epic has better ear speaker sound and much stronger volume. The EVO always sounded raspy and buzzy to me. More later!

If you're looking for a weather/clock widget to replace the ones on Sense, try this app:

Weather widgets (yr.no) - Android app on AppBrain

I actually use that instead of the HTC widgets on my EVO and it actually gives better updates for my specific location than the one that HTC has. You can also use the widget that has a clock too and also set the clock to go to desk clock mode (although, not sure how that is on the EPIC or if it's a 2.2 Android thing / HTC thing).

Upvote 0
Epic feels like more of a phone than the evo, which felt like a tablet

The buttons are easier to hit

Haptic feedback is much better

Keyboard is awesome

Everything is easier to navigate to because of the smaller screen...having said that, i do miss the bigger screen

I miss the kickstand..they really gotta make a removable back cover with a kickstand built in!

im a little uneasy about the slight wobble to the slider...with the evo it was just one solid piece, but with the epic i worry about it getting loose. i feel noticeable give when i press down on the screen

its really annoying to unlock the phone from the side button and have the slider move along with your hand...like you cant use the other side of the phone to press against. i remedies this by installing nolock which takes the lockscreen away and allows you to wake the screen from the volume keys

screen is much much sharper

keyboard is an excellent gripper to browse with, and the directional keys are convenient

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones