Former iPhone users.. are you pleased?

Last Updated:

1. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For all you former iPhone users out there.. not that you've had a day or so to play with your Evo.. what are your impressions?

Advertisement
  2. Solson

Solson Member

Yes, I'm loving the flexibility and the screen! :eek:

3. Langley

Langley Member

Yes. Picked up my Evo yesterday and sold my iPhone today.

I have an iPod classic that I use in my truck for my music if I didn't I would miss my iPhone because don't see me using my Evo as a music player. It did take some time to learn Android but really beginning to love it. Hated that I had to play cat and mouse with jailbreaking my phone just to set it up the way I want. I'm sure I will find bad things about the Evo but so far I love it.

Also living in an area with good 4g coverage doesn't hurt.

4. KARbabee

KARbabee Active Member

Yes I'm LOVING THIS PHONE!!! I Had the iPhone 3G when it first came out & I Love this phone so much better! It's so customizable!

5. laimbeer

laimbeer New Member

The iPhone doesn't compare. The EVO is in a whole different league. I loved my iPhone but the EVO blows it out of the water.

Connectz, dtrose, ndfan4u and 3 others like this.
  6. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Well-Known Member

I'm getting used to it, learning lil quirks here and there. Finally got my calendar set up, had to export from ical into google calendar, but its cool to have it update on the fly and sync. Only way to do that on apple was to sync by wire or or pay for mobileme.

Some my cons:
    -I am worried about the applications/games staying loaded, even after I close them, which is unlike the iPhone.
    -Auto brightness on the phone isn't as reactive as the iPhone either, which causes problems when the screen is TOO bright in dark room or not bright enough in bright sunlight.
    -I liked being able to create bookmark folders to separate some of my tech sites from sports sites and whatnot, seems as if Android can't.
    -i also liked being able to touch at the top of the screen and having it auto scroll to the top on the iPhone.

Pros:
    -Screen is A----MAZING! When I pick up my iPhone, it feels like a toy and aggravating to work on lol.
    -Keyboard is easy to type on
    -No isues with phone service
    -Wifi on Evo loads pages a LOT faster than the same page on the iPhone
    -WIDGETS!!!
    -FB/Twitter integration :)
    -Tons more

Overall though, I'm really pleased with the phone, can't wait to learn more about the Android world. :)

ajm216 likes this.
  7. seretogis

seretogis Well-Known Member

Android is hands-down vastly superior to stock iPhone OS. Jailbreaking iPhone OS makes it more comparable, and the moment Apple brings the hammer down on jailbeaking is the moment they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

8. kantonaxtwoo

kantonaxtwoo New Member

So far I really like the device. It has its quirks here and there but i enjoy the customization and just how big the screen is. However im still struggling to get my music looking like it did on my iphone. I had all the album artwork and it was nice to scroll through it. I still havent found something to do it easily on my evo. any suggestions?

9. Alchematron

Alchematron Member

Anyway to fix the lag when scrolling?

I'm spoiled with the smooth as silk iPhone.

I'm still in evaluation mode.

Thanx

10. GaryColeman

GaryColeman Well-Known Member

So SO

11. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

I love it compared to my old 3GS. Screen and resolution is bigger, and multitasking works great. Browser speed is way faster too.

12. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Well-Known Member

lag while scrolling? Are you talking home screens or web?

My webpages scroll smooth as silk and don't ever show the 'grayed out checkerboard' like I did on the iPhone.

And in the apps pull-up, I don't notice an aggravating lag ...

13. Bruiserbob

Bruiserbob Member

I'm also giving it a thumbs up. It's true that it takes a little bit getting used to the change. I seem to go through stages every time I want to do something.

Stage 1: Well, that's not how I do it on the iPhone
    Stage 2: Figuring out the intricacies of how it works on Android
    Stage 3: Determining that I like the way it works better on my new phone.
    or
    Stage 3: Deciding I don't like the way it works on Android and discover someone has written another app to resolve that deficiency.

I've honestly found a better app every time I've found something I don't like, with the exception of a bookmark widget for Dolphin. I've DL'd the addon, but can't seem to get that working. Frankly, it's not that big of a deal to setup the bookmarks in the built in browser anyway. They still open to dolphin.

14. wacktool

wacktool Member

This blows my 3gs out of the water. Plus with DoubleTwist I can still use itunes for all the music I bought. I cant believe the sense of freedom I feel byusing this phone over the Iphone.

15. KristenI

KristenI Member

YES!!!!! I have been waiting months for this phone, and it was worth every minute. Everything I wished my iphone did, the android does. Love the customization and the camera. Now I might actually take pictures lol.

16. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

only time i experience any lag is when another app is loading in background...wifi 4g etc...or a webpage thats still loading. its also easy to confuse lag with the screen doing exactly what ur finger is doing. sometimes i think its lag but i realize im not making smooth-tempoed swipes and the evo picks up on that...i dont think this phone is for everyone bc of its size, but functionality and openess cannot be beat

17. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Well-Known Member

So much better than the iPhone. I hated iTunes so much, and having to pay $$$ for mobileme just to have e-mail pushed is crap.

I just wished the camera didn't protrude from the Evo..I would have left it naked if it wasn't for that.

18. dsa1971

dsa1971 Active Member

I am enjoying it so far. Had an iPhone 3g for 2 years but just got bored with it. I'm still getting used to Android in general but I like it. Android is very much a tweakers dream which I like.

19. blake247

blake247 Well-Known Member

I love the phone.

20. reiththestud

reiththestud Well-Known Member

I'm coming from a 1st gen iPhone. Couldn't be happier. It's like Steve jobs put handcuffs on me the last 2.5 years, and now I'm free.
    It did take awhile to learn the intricacies of this phone. The layout just isn't as idiot proof simple as iPhone. That's not to say that android is complicated, its just that iPhone is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. The ability to use widgets makes Android a whole other world.
    There is one downside to the size. The iPhone is the perfect size as far as thumb navigation is concerned. This screen is so big, and I have to move my thumb farther than usual. I've found my thumb getting more sore from using this phone than with my iPhone. But I'm sure ill adjust.
    All in all, no regrets. Oh, and this whole thing was written on my evo with minimal errors

21. apollooff320

apollooff320 Well-Known Member

downloading apps while browsing the phone can make the phone lag, also having live wallpapers on causes lag and help kills the battery

22. Sherman901

Sherman901 Well-Known Member

I'm very pleased. I had my doubts but I love using this phone, it's awesome. I already rooted it.

23. FraGztr

FraGztr Well-Known Member

I love the phone and it's kind of unfair for the current iPhones to compare this since the 3GS are obsolete compare to evo. I would compare it against the new iPhone that will come out this month tho and the new 4.0 os.

24. kmbutts

kmbutts Well-Known Member

Ooohhhh Helllllllll Freakinnnnnn Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

25. alex2792

alex2792 Member

It's great so far i love the keyboard but I can't get tethring to work on my rooted Evo which is a big bummer cuz I really want to tether my iPad.