• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Former iPhone users.. are you pleased?

So far I really like the device. It has its quirks here and there but i enjoy the customization and just how big the screen is. However im still struggling to get my music looking like it did on my iphone. I had all the album artwork and it was nice to scroll through it. I still havent found something to do it easily on my evo. any suggestions?

yes, search filipe abrantes in the android market and download 3, aka cube. 3, or cube, is a music player that also downloads cover art for the songs that you have. i have this app on my sprint hero.

Upvote 0
You can solve both of these by learning the long press. ie To delete a message, long press it. To copy text, long press it.

Doubletwist in Market.

Seems like you just need to spend more time getting to know the phone for most of this. I switched to Android from a BB a long time ago and it took me a while to adjust. Now when I use a BB, it seems....dated.

Play with the phone for a while, you'll figure most of this out.

Thanks! Very helpful. It's been just a day so far, I'm sure I'll either find solutions to (or adapt to) most the issues I've had so far.

Upvote 0
I converted from the iPhone 3GS and had beta OS 4 on it... OS 4 will solve *some* issues with the iPhone but not all and it still wont come close to the functionality of the EVO...

What I will miss about the iPhone:

-- Angry Birds (I love that game... So addictive)
-- Push the bottom (center / home) button to unlock screen
-- Seamless integration into my MacBook Pro's and my iMac

What I won't miss about the iPhone:

-- AT$T (enough said right there, even more so with their recent data caps and higher ETF's, never mind the crap network)
-- The camera
-- No way to swap out or upgrade the battery
-- Proprietary accessories (I can use any mico USB with the EVO)
-- Limited multi tasking (even with OS 4)

What I love about the EVO:

-- Massive screen (sweet)
-- Widgets (revolutionary)
-- Speed (it's very, very snappy)
-- A battery that I can actually remove
-- Open source
-- HTC Sense is gorgeous
-- The camera WITH flash.... Sweetness
-- Lower Sprint prices and better plans
-- App store... If I don't like an app I purchased I have 24 to get a refund... NICE

What I don't like about the EVO:

-- Top button placement to unlock the screen (I am sure I will adapt to it over time)
-- Rear camera sticks out so far I am concerned that it will scratch the lens over time

Thats about it in a nutshell... I am sure I have more likes and misses for both devices but that's what I can think of off the top of my head...

Do I miss my iPhone 3GS??? NO WAY

Upvote 0
I converted from the iPhone 3GS and had beta OS 4 on it... OS 4 will solve *some* issues with the iPhone but not all and it still wont come close to the functionality of the EVO...
Good to hear that about OS4. I would never go to AT&T in a million years and pay the outrages price for crappy service, but I didn't want to hear about the new iPhone and be jealous of it even as an EVO owner.........

Upvote 0
Multi tasking *kinda* is on OS 4 but it's integrated in such a way where it's really not multi tasking... Double tap on the main button brings up a screen that allows to you choose another application. Once you do that the OS simply pauses or holds the current app where it's at as it changes over to the newly selected application... To go back to the previous app you double tap the center button and select it, you are then taken back to where you were previously in that app...

I do not see OS 4 being as revolutionary as Apple want us to think... Don't get me wrong, OS 4 is leaps and bounds better than OS 3.x.x but it's still not close to Android functionality... The iPhone 4G is suppose to have some pretty decent specs, and it will no doubt push the next generation Androids but that's a good thing....

I can ramble on about iPhone OS4 but I will try to keep it short and not overtake this thread....

Bottom line is I like HTC Sense and Android 2.1 better than iPhone OS 4....

Reactions: eric3316
Upvote 0
I'm always reluctant to provide feedback on a phone during the _honeymoon_ phase. I am a happy iPhone 3GS (unlocked) user. I don't get too excited about technology. I want a device that works. I don't want to think about it.

I purchased an incredible and enjoyed some of the features of the phone. However, it would crash quite often and the battery was quite poor. Unfortunately, after 25 days I simply wasn't satisfied with the lack of polish on the phone and how many times it restarted. I returned it...

The EVO is the same OS on different hardware. I was skeptical. I didn't pre-order. I was going to wait and see what people said about the battery. After hearing better-than-expected reports I stopped by a Radio Shack and they had a few. I grabbed one.

Right out of the box the phone feels more solid than the Incredible. It feels equivalent to an iPhone 3Gs. I think the screen size will be hit-or-miss for different people but I personally think it looks fantastic and I like the size. The battery has performed rather well. The 3G service has been surprisingly responsible and fast (compared to both AT&T and Verizon). So far the phone has been more stable than the Incredible. Given that it is the exact some OS I'm not sure I can explain why...?

I don't really care about the extra camera and such. I want a phone that connects to work, behaves like a phone, and has a functional and usable set of 'toys' (web browsing, music, videos, ) etc. Coming from an iPhone 3GS I'm happy to report that this phone delivers. FINALLY I would contend that Google/Android has a chance at poking at the iPhone.

I'm not a fanboy of either camp. I don't care for apple and I'm not omg-i-must-have android. I just use whatever phone works. iPhone still wins the polish battle but that comes with a locked down ecosystem. I really dislike his (Steve Jobs) attitude and predict his smug attitude will cost him as competitors deliver alternatives that catch up to the iPoo. This phone has strong potential. I'm quite impressed and hopeful!

So... that's a lot of snot to say, from an iPhone 3GS user, I'd say walk with skeptical feet but expect to be comfortable and satisfied with the Evo 4G. If you _like_ your iPhone and don't bias yourself towards either camp I would argue this will be the first phone that doesn't feel like a downgrade from the iPhone 3GS. It will seem like a horizontal shift with some great bonuses... =)

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
I still have my iPhone 3GS with 4.0 Beta, If Apple does not pull it off Monday with the new iPhone, if the specs are no more then the EVO I have one on reserve at Sprint for monday and I will make the switch plus I love how the plan is lower then AT&T. I love Apple I have like 6 products from them but I'm just board with the iPhone like everyone else.

Upvote 0
Since all the (former) iPhone users are here — I'm crossposting this question.

Will any of the iPhone headphones work with the Evo? And to what extent?
iPhone 2G Stereo Headphones (with only the mic & clicky start/stop)
iPhone 3G/3GS Earphones w/Remote & Mic (mic, clicky start/stop, volume control)
iPhone In-ear headphones w/Remote & Mic (fancy version of normal ones)

Has anyone with the Evo plugged their iPhone headphones in to see what works and what doesn't?

I know there are others on the market, but I'm used to these, and want to stay in the Apple family for my future iPad purchase if possible. I don't need high-end ones, used these things for years, would like to continue to.

Looking for feedback on:
  • 1. Do they play the phones sounds/music at all? (My assumption is yes)
  • 2. Does the click have functionality? Can it answer/end calls?
  • 3. Does the click start/pause music? Does double-click move to next song? Triple click to previous song?
  • 4. Do the volume controls work?

I'm really only looking for #1-3, but 4 would be a nice bonus. I've been on the original iPhone for 3 years, and don't want to change my habits if I don't have to. Plus, I have 2-3 pairs already lying around and it'd be nice not to have to buy new stuff.

So far I can confirm that any iPhone head phones will work with the EVO. As far as your list goes 1 and 2 are there, I'll have to check on 3 and I'm pretty sure 4 is a no go. I'll get back with you on this. :D

Upvote 0
I still have my iPhone 3GS with 4.0 Beta, If Apple does not pull it off Monday with the new iPhone, if the specs are no more then the EVO I have one on reserve at Sprint for monday and I will make the switch plus I love how the plan is lower then AT&T. I love Apple I have like 6 products from them but I'm just board with the iPhone like everyone else.

OS 4 will have some 'neat' features but will in no way even come close to the EVO running Android 2.1. Once you get your hand on the EVO and you being to see the level of customization that Android allows you'll never look back. For example the app Handcent which is a text messaging client totally becomes part of the phone where as the iPhone you have to keep opening apps to use there featues,...because Apple forces developers to stay within Apples guidelines. Apps on Android mold and shape the phone working deep within the OS giving you waaaaaaay more options. Just my 2 cents as a long time iPhone user.

Upvote 0
Having used an iPhone 3gs until moving to the Nexus One recently (then now to the EVO 4G), here's my take:

EVO negatives:
- Android apps are generally not nearly as plentiful, polished, or full featured overall; examples: Evernote failed to load my notes for over a month (finally got fixed with a new version) and still lacks many of iPhone version's features like offline note caching and favorite, Android Audible app still in beta and stutters when doing almost anything, games are not as good as iPhone's (e.g. PvZ), no slick RSS reader like iPhone's Reeder app
- Android OS -- even with Sense -- doesn't feel as polished as iPhone OS... from the UI components to the built in apps: why can't I copy text from the GMail app in Android 2.1?
- Lack of good backup/restore options without rooting (I don't really want to root my phone just for backup and I've already paid for tethering anyway)
- Nowhere near the number of accessories as the iPhone, such as high quality headphones with inline music controls or the numerous charging/music docks you see in many nicer hotels
- Can't find a 32GB microSD card, so can't match 32GB iPhone 3gs's capacity without inconveniently swapping cards

EVO Positives:
- Freedom -- being able to swap your battery, loading any app you want, custom ROMs, NES emulators
- For me (living in San Francisco), a far more reliable mobile network, Sprint
- I've criticized Android's UI, but I do love two aspects: its notification system and the back button
- True multitasking, which is great for stuff like scheduled background updates to RSS feeds
- Better, bigger screen
- Much better camera
- WiFi tethering -- love this feature
- 4G network -- though it's not in my area yet, I'm planning on traveling a lot

Fortunately, Android is gaining polish, especially with Froyo, and better apps over time. I'm loving my EVO so far.

Upvote 0
So far I really like the device. It has its quirks here and there but i enjoy the customization and just how big the screen is. However im still struggling to get my music looking like it did on my iphone. I had all the album artwork and it was nice to scroll through it. I still havent found something to do it easily on my evo. any suggestions?

Album Art Grabber from the marker works flawlessly, paid app tho

Upvote 0
I'm liking it so far. I'm coming from an original iPhone 2G, so in terms of speed, flexibility, and that huge screen, it's light years ahead.

But I'll admit. The first day with it, I found it a little overwhelming. So many choices and customization opportunities actually had me wishing it could be so much simpler like the iPhone. But after playing around more and more, I'm really warming to it.

The Android Store apps certainly aren't always as polished as the App Store ones, but I love the way you can pretty much find SOMETHING for every issue you have. I've been syncing my music to the EVO using iTunesMyWalkman, and sometimes my album artwork transfers, and sometimes it doesn't. As someone else mentioned above, there's Mp3tagger pro: 99 cents, and boom, there you go: finds all the missing art work and encodes it to the MP3 tags.

I love the fact that Android store gives you OPTIONS. There's a number of ways to solve issues, a number of different tools out there on the web apart from the Android Market to do stuff too. With Apple it was all their way or the highway. Yes, this does mean more experimentation and trial and error, but after being intimidated my first day with the EVO, I'm beginning to see that's how it is with Android. It's hella geeky, but I love it.

As an Apple person before, I was putting all my icons on the screens too, but could never choose which, and now I'm realizing widgets are king, and you only need a few icons on your screens, as scrolling through the entire list is efficient. The flexibility is great: you want all app shortcuts, go for it, you want all full-screen widgets, enjoy it! I love the mix, the choice.

Sprint service has been better so far than AT&T in my area, but I need more time with it. 4G works fast, I do wish the battery life was better (sigh) but this was expected. Yeah, I miss some of my more polished iPhone games, but I like the idea of being with a platform that will continue to improve.

Upvote 0
Just hold down the power button, then hit Vibrate Only ....

On a side note, just another update: After 2 days with it, I'm starting to really get annoyed with my FB and Twitter updates. I'm used to FB pushing out notifications immediately to me on the iPhone, whereas the earliest I can put FB to update for me is once an hour. I could be doing it wrong though ... any ideas on how to get it pushed to me like the iPhone?

Upvote 0
Just hold down the power button, then hit Vibrate Only ....

That's actually worse than the widget. You still have to power on the phone, unlock it, then hold the power button and choose a setting.

So far it's one of my only complaints about the hardware itself.

The recessed power button to unlock is the only other. The round hard button on the iPhone to unlock was much more intuitive and easy to unlock with one hand. This seems to be a general failing of all Android-based phones for some reason. Having to hit the recessed power button then adjust grip to swipe and unlock is kind of annoying, but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones